"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Cooking shows on TV were a major component of my learning how to cook. I could see what the prepared ingredients looked like and what the instructions meant.

Martin Yan and Jacques Pepin. Julia Child and Justin Wilson. All the early Food Network shows where they actually cooked. I didn't have a VCR so I frantically scribbled recipes as the chef added ingredients. It must have been hysterical to see.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

There are quite a few Food Network shows that still demonstrate cooking; Rachael Ray has three. Then there's Bobby Flay (a grilling show and a brunch show), Giada (the regular one plus special editions on living in Italy and entertaining), Ina Garten, Trisha Yearwood, Pioneer Woman, Marcela Valladolid (Mexican Made Easy), and The Farmhouse Rules (which I don't care for). Some are reruns, but most are not.

The thing is that they're on during the day, so if you want to watch them in the evening, you have to record or stream them. And I know some people don't like this one or that one for whatever reasons.

I think also that a lot of the cooking shows have migrated to the Cooking Channel.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...I think also that a lot of the cooking shows have migrated to the Cooking Channel.
True. The Cooking Channel isn't part of my cable package.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Cooking shows on TV were a major component of my learning how to cook. I could see what the prepared ingredients looked like and what the instructions meant.

Martin Yan and Jacques Pepin. Julia Child and Justin Wilson. All the early Food Network shows where they actually cooked. I didn't have a VCR so I frantically scribbled recipes as the chef added ingredients. It must have been hysterical to see.
Yes, I used to scramble for the notepad and pencil when Justin was coming on. When he didn't have a measurement I was able to eyeball and get it approximately. A little tweaking and a recipe was born. How I loved it when I found a cookbook written by him. Did the same with Yan Can Cook.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I find it fascinating too and can't help staying glued to the television. Only problem is that i find it hard to fully follow the steps.Most of the time i want to cook something similar but i miss some steps.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Here, in UK, TV cookery programmes have gained in popularity. There is a lot of diversity and also facility to watch again on many of them.

My favourite programme is Come Dine With Me where strangers go to each other's houses and are presented with a 3 course meal which they mark (in secret) out of ten. At the end of the week the winner gets 1,000. I like it as much for the interaction of the various characters as I do the food. There tend to be well worn staples, e.g. scallops with pea puree, lamb shanks, gratin dauphinoise and chocolate fondant are often presented.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I find it fascinating too and can't help staying glued to the television. Only problem is that i find it hard to fully follow the steps.Most of the time i want to cook something similar but i miss some steps.
If you have a DVR, you can record the shows and play them back a bit at a time to pick up all the steps. I do that with ATK and CC as I don't subscribe to their website.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
They usually post the recipes, including all the steps, on the website.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #19
Head Chef

I watch cooking shows probably more than I watch regular shows... I have to say I have learned a lot from watching.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #20
Master Chef

This applies to most any other hobby or passion as well. I think most people simply enjoy watching other people do what you enjoy doing. You also pick up pointers and techniques. It could be a good learning tool.
As for cooking, I watch more cooking videos on Utube than cooking shows on tv.