For the love of fooood...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
What do you think the fascination is with watching people cook on tv? If you have that fascination. I watch a lot of food network and food channel.

And when you cook do you find yourself going through steps in your head (or maybe out loud) like you're in front of the camera? lol (I don't I just thought somebody else might :mrgreen:)

Oh and hi everybody :)

The fascination/interest for me in watching people cook on TV is:-

(a) can I cook it too
(b) how they get to the final stage
(c) learning more about cookery processes
(d) possibly obtaining a recipe!

Well I don't imagine there is a camera in my kitchen as I cook. Having said that, when I was a singer/songwriter, I did sing and play guitar (where I lived) as if it were being recorded. It made me try harder to be perfect.

Is that the reason you imagine the camera there in your kitchen i.e. to cook better, or is it more the entertainment value, i.e. playing up the camera? ;)

Nice to see you!

I do it is to improve the efficiency of a recipe or when I'm planning a large meal like Thanksgiving.

I'm not prepping for my screen test, just trying to make sure everything is done in the proper order.

The fascination/interest for me in watching people cook on TV is:-

(a) can I cook it too
(b) how they get to the final stage
(c) learning more about cookery processes
(d) possibly obtaining a recipe!

Well I don't imagine there is a camera in my kitchen as I cook. Having said that, when I was a singer/songwriter, I did sing and play guitar (where I lived) as if it were being recorded. It made me try harder to be perfect.

Is that the reason you imagine the camera there in your kitchen i.e. to cook better, or is it more the entertainment value, i.e. playing up the camera? ;)

Who said "I" imagined that???lol If I did... I guess it would be because for one thing I guess I find myself mimicking some of the cooks, lol. My husband always tells me you think your on tv..... He says I set everything up like people are watching lol. It's just for organization and cleanliness...:angel:.
http://www.discusscooking.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Nice to see you!

I do it is to improve the efficiency of a recipe or when I'm planning a large meal like Thanksgiving.

I'm not prepping for my screen test, just trying to make sure everything is done in the proper order.

Got ya...

In my "former life" and just at the dawn of cooking shows beyond Julia, I literally dreamed of doing a cooking show at my brand new kitchen bay window and being a star. :rolleyes::LOL:

Good to see you Nikki !

Last edited:
In my "former life" and just at the dawn of cooking shows beyond Julia, I literally dreamed of doing a cooking show at my brand new kitchen bay window and being a star. :rolleyes::LOL:

Good to see you Nikki !

Good to see you too Kayelle... And I loved Julia! She'd make anybody think they could have a cooking show.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I like watching videos and people cooking on TV because that's the only way I could ever learn how to cook.

But even before I thought I would ever do any "gourmet" cooking (that is, any cooking more than just a grilled cheese sandwich), I watched because I was just fascinated by all those ingredients going together and seeing the final result. And, um, just to keep the record straight, that's the same reason I watched This Old House, too. I guess I just like to watch people creating things.

But I don't dream of being on TV or in a video cooking. If I was, all I could say is, God help the audience!

Last edited:
I like watching videos and people cooking on TV because that's the only way I could ever learn how to cook.

But even before I thought I would ever do any "gourmet" cooking (that is, any cooking more than just a grilled cheese sandwich), I watched because I was just fascinated by all those ingredients going together and seeing the final result. And, um, just to keep the record straight, that's the same reason I watched This Old House, too. I guess I just like to watch people creating things.

But I don't dream of being on TV or in a video cooking. If I was, all I could say is God help the audience!

You know what, if I think about it, it's help to make me a better cook also... (Although good cooks run in my family and It comes natural ?) I have learned a lot watching. I Love "This Old House" too...

With the emphasis leaning to cooking competitions, restaurant refurbishing and foodie road trips the Food Network is becoming devoid of actual shows that teach unless you count reruns.:(

Cooking shows on TV were a major component of my learning how to cook. I could see what the prepared ingredients looked like and what the instructions meant.

Martin Yan and Jacques Pepin. Julia Child and Justin Wilson. All the early Food Network shows where they actually cooked. I didn't have a VCR so I frantically scribbled recipes as the chef added ingredients. It must have been hysterical to see.

There are quite a few Food Network shows that still demonstrate cooking; Rachael Ray has three. Then there's Bobby Flay (a grilling show and a brunch show), Giada (the regular one plus special editions on living in Italy and entertaining), Ina Garten, Trisha Yearwood, Pioneer Woman, Marcela Valladolid (Mexican Made Easy), and The Farmhouse Rules (which I don't care for). Some are reruns, but most are not.

The thing is that they're on during the day, so if you want to watch them in the evening, you have to record or stream them. And I know some people don't like this one or that one for whatever reasons.

I think also that a lot of the cooking shows have migrated to the Cooking Channel.

Last edited:
Cooking shows on TV were a major component of my learning how to cook. I could see what the prepared ingredients looked like and what the instructions meant.

Martin Yan and Jacques Pepin. Julia Child and Justin Wilson. All the early Food Network shows where they actually cooked. I didn't have a VCR so I frantically scribbled recipes as the chef added ingredients. It must have been hysterical to see.

Yes, I used to scramble for the notepad and pencil when Justin was coming on. When he didn't have a measurement I was able to eyeball and get it approximately. A little tweaking and a recipe was born. How I loved it when I found a cookbook written by him. Did the same with Yan Can Cook.

I find it fascinating too and can't help staying glued to the television. Only problem is that i find it hard to fully follow the steps.Most of the time i want to cook something similar but i miss some steps.

Here, in UK, TV cookery programmes have gained in popularity. There is a lot of diversity and also facility to watch again on many of them. :chef:

My favourite programme is Come Dine With Me where strangers go to each other's houses and are presented with a 3 course meal which they mark (in secret) out of ten. At the end of the week the winner gets £1,000. I like it as much for the interaction of the various characters as I do the food. There tend to be well worn staples, e.g. scallops with pea puree, lamb shanks, gratin dauphinoise and chocolate fondant are often presented.

Last edited:
I find it fascinating too and can't help staying glued to the television. Only problem is that i find it hard to fully follow the steps.Most of the time i want to cook something similar but i miss some steps.

If you have a DVR, you can record the shows and play them back a bit at a time to pick up all the steps. I do that with ATK and CC as I don't subscribe to their website.

They usually post the recipes, including all the steps, on the website.

I watch cooking shows probably more than I watch regular shows... I have to say I have learned a lot from watching.

This applies to most any other hobby or passion as well. I think most people simply enjoy watching other people do what you enjoy doing. You also pick up pointers and techniques. It could be a good learning tool.
As for cooking, I watch more cooking videos on Utube than cooking shows on tv.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom