"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
Head Chef

For the love of fooood...

What do you think the fascination is with watching people cook on tv? If you have that fascination. I watch a lot of food network and food channel.

And when you cook do you find yourself going through steps in your head (or maybe out loud) like you're in front of the camera? lol (I don't I just thought somebody else might )

Oh and hi everybody

Old 02-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Head Chef

Lightbulb

The fascination/interest for me in watching people cook on TV is:-

(a) can I cook it too
(b) how they get to the final stage
(c) learning more about cookery processes
(d) possibly obtaining a recipe!

Well I don't imagine there is a camera in my kitchen as I cook. Having said that, when I was a singer/songwriter, I did sing and play guitar (where I lived) as if it were being recorded. It made me try harder to be perfect.

Is that the reason you imagine the camera there in your kitchen i.e. to cook better, or is it more the entertainment value, i.e. playing up the camera?

Old 02-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

Nice to see you!

I do it is to improve the efficiency of a recipe or when I'm planning a large meal like Thanksgiving.

I'm not prepping for my screen test, just trying to make sure everything is done in the proper order.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
The fascination/interest for me in watching people cook on TV is:-

(a) can I cook it too
(b) how they get to the final stage
(c) learning more about cookery processes
(d) possibly obtaining a recipe!

Well I don't imagine there is a camera in my kitchen as I cook. Having said that, when I was a singer/songwriter, I did sing and play guitar (where I lived) as if it were being recorded. It made me try harder to be perfect.

Is that the reason you imagine the camera there in your kitchen i.e. to cook better, or is it more the entertainment value, i.e. playing up the camera?
Who said "I" imagined that???lol If I did... I guess it would be because for one thing I guess I find myself mimicking some of the cooks, lol. My husband always tells me you think your on tv..... He says I set everything up like people are watching lol. It's just for organization and cleanliness....
Old 02-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Nice to see you!

I do it is to improve the efficiency of a recipe or when I'm planning a large meal like Thanksgiving.

I'm not prepping for my screen test, just trying to make sure everything is done in the proper order.
Got ya...
Old 02-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

In my "former life" and just at the dawn of cooking shows beyond Julia, I literally dreamed of doing a cooking show at my brand new kitchen bay window and being a star.

Good to see you Nikki !

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
In my "former life" and just at the dawn of cooking shows beyond Julia, I literally dreamed of doing a cooking show at my brand new kitchen bay window and being a star.

Good to see you Nikki !

Good to see you too Kayelle... And I loved Julia! She'd make anybody think they could have a cooking show.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I like watching videos and people cooking on TV because that's the only way I could ever learn how to cook.

But even before I thought I would ever do any "gourmet" cooking (that is, any cooking more than just a grilled cheese sandwich), I watched because I was just fascinated by all those ingredients going together and seeing the final result. And, um, just to keep the record straight, that's the same reason I watched This Old House, too. I guess I just like to watch people creating things.

But I don't dream of being on TV or in a video cooking. If I was, all I could say is, God help the audience!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I like watching videos and people cooking on TV because that's the only way I could ever learn how to cook.

But even before I thought I would ever do any "gourmet" cooking (that is, any cooking more than just a grilled cheese sandwich), I watched because I was just fascinated by all those ingredients going together and seeing the final result. And, um, just to keep the record straight, that's the same reason I watched This Old House, too. I guess I just like to watch people creating things.

But I don't dream of being on TV or in a video cooking. If I was, all I could say is God help the audience!

You know what, if I think about it, it's help to make me a better cook also... (Although good cooks run in my family and It comes natural 😇) I have learned a lot watching. I Love "This Old House" too...

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 02-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
Executive Chef

With the emphasis leaning to cooking competitions, restaurant refurbishing and foodie road trips the Food Network is becoming devoid of actual shows that teach unless you count reruns.