"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Dear Saphellae, it was a blessing not a sorrow. Imagine if I could never have told Mom that I loved her. Well, okay, I'm saying it, love is as important as food. Both keep us going, you know? As I used to say as a kid, "same dif" whatever that means. Here's the thing, keep loving, keep telling people you love them, work hard and that's pretty much it. It all comes back to you. Hugs.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Sattie,
my dad had a knack for calling just when I had no time to talk..It use to get my goat..Now I'd give the world to hear his voice..And I did...My two boys both sound alike on the phone and sound just like my dad at times..Yesterday my heart almost stopped when my oldest called and when I answered I heard Hello dare!! my dad's exact words each time he would call...It took my breath away..My son, just gulped on the other end and said he was sorry..But I told him not to be..That it felt good to hear that voice saying those words once more.
kadesma
Awe girl, you got my crying now.... man, I would give all that I have to hear his voice again. It is a blessing to me that your son has given the gift of fond memories of your dad.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #33
Master Chef

I'm gonna add this.... for those of you that still have your mom and dad, please don't miss an opportunity to visit with them, to talk with them, no matter what is going on, you never know when it will be the last time you will speak with them or see them.

I had seen my mom and dad a few weeks before Thanksgiving in 2000. When I visitied with them, I took some information to my parents about the condition that my dad had been diagnosed with, Supra Nuclear Palsy. Basically the info I found stated that there was no cure and the life expectancy was about 7 years upon onset.

On Thanksgiving, we went to my MIL's home for Thanksgiving. Instead of taking the opportunity to go visit with my parents, we were h-e-double L on rushing home to see the Mavericks play-off game. My dad passed away December 2nd.... if I had any clue that could have been the last time I would get to see and visit with my dad, I would have done things differently. You have no idea how much I regret making that decision over a stupid basket ball game. How I hate myself for that.

My mom passed away about 6 months later on June 27th.

My priorities are much different now, now that it is too late. I realize now how precious those opportunities are now. Please don't make the same mistake I made.

Much love and blessings to you all.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #34
Master Chef

No honey, don't you dare hate yourself!! You had no way of knowing when your dad would go!! It's not your fault!! Stop beating yourself up over this. He knows you would have been there had you known.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Lost mom 11/08, a mire shell of herself, not even 90lbs.
This strong german woman, in will and body and her love for her family. That poem, satie, was one of her favorites.
And she used to say, "don't cry for me after I'm dead, just be good to me while I'm alive". We tried to be, but she beat all.
I miss her everyday, and tried not to look at this thread, still trying to maintain, and I guess, still in alittle denial.
So I'll get through tomorrow as if it's another day (can't say Sunday, cause we used to dinner at her house every Sunday).

Her words I'll use most heartily tomorrow; "Someone has to be happy. Why not you?". And I'll get thru.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, ALL YOU MOMS
and THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HATS YOU WEAR
Old 05-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #36
Senior Cook

quicksilver, it's okay. Your grief is still fresh. What's beautiful is that you remember your mom's words and what she taught you. That's a lovely tribute to her on Mother's Day. I'm going to think about that all day tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Thank You Stacy, that was beautiful. I lost my mother four years ago.