For the ones who have lost their mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lost my mom when I was very young. She was like this. Very special. Thank you for the tribute to all mothers lost to us and all of us who long for them. Very lovely.

Thank You Stacy - I am loosing my Mom - She has alzheimers and I a m an only child. We are separated by 300 miles and every time I see her she has gone a little deeper into it.

AC

As Uncle Bob suggested, I DID call my mom today and told her I loved her. Even after just calling her yesterday.

I ALMOST let it slip that I was coming. I caught myself and explained it so that it sounded like I wasn't...

One day, I went to mom's house to take her shopping. She put on a little makeup and I told her how beautiful she looked. She did. Black wavy hair and red lipstick. She appreciated the compliment. After shopping, we went to lunch and I told her how much I loved her. She said she had waited so long to hear that. Well, I was a kid and you don't always think of those things, you know? The next day she died suddenly. Tell your mom you love her. Tell your kids you love them. Tell everyone who you love that you love them. Life is fragile, precious and meaningful.

That is heartbreaking Nancy, and I'm glad that I called my mom today. I'm also glad that I get to tell Nick that I love him every morning before he leaves the apartment for work.

Because.. you just never know.

One day, I went to mom's house to take her shopping. She put on a little makeup and I told her how beautiful she looked. She did. Black wavy hair and red lipstick. She appreciated the compliment. After shopping, we went to lunch and I told her how much I loved her. She said she had waited so long to hear that. Well, I was a kid and you don't always think of those things, you know? The next day she died suddenly. Tell your mom you love her. Tell your kids you love them. Tell everyone who you love that you love them. Life is fragile, precious and meaningful.

Yep, yep, yeppers! Every time after I speak to my children, I say, "I love you." Even if they don't say it back.

Yea, my dad would call me at 7am to just talk... use to drive me NUTS because I love to sleep in.... you have no idea how much I miss those calls now!

My heart goes out to all that have lost their mom or dad or other loved one.
Sattie,
my dad had a knack for calling just when I had no time to talk..It use to get my goat..Now I'd give the world to hear his voice..And I did...My two boys both sound alike on the phone and sound just like my dad at times..Yesterday my heart almost stopped when my oldest called and when I answered I heard Hello dare!! my dad's exact words each time he would call...It took my breath away..My son, just gulped on the other end and said he was sorry..But I told him not to be..That it felt good to hear that voice saying those words once more.
kadesma

Yep, yep, yeppers! Every time after I speak to my children, I say, "I love you." Even if they don't say it back.
That is wonderful Katie..I'm so very lucky, I see my kids all 4 of them on Sundays and often during the week..Each and every one gets a hug,kiss and I love you just because and they now give them back to me and their dad and best of all to each other...The babies picked up on this very quickly and it is so wonderful to feel those little arms round your neck and the sweet voices say I love you ma...Life is so good.
kadesma

It is more important that you say you love someone, than if they say it back. Sometimes they just don't get it.

my mother has been gone for 35 years and I still miss here very much she was my rock when it came to cooking she taught me the basics. I could all ways call and ask her opinion and git a good reply. If any of you folks out there have a boy in De Molay ask him about the flower lecture.. It is just for moms and it is precious

Dear Saphellae, it was a blessing not a sorrow. Imagine if I could never have told Mom that I loved her. Well, okay, I'm saying it, love is as important as food. Both keep us going, you know? As I used to say as a kid, "same dif" whatever that means. Here's the thing, keep loving, keep telling people you love them, work hard and that's pretty much it. It all comes back to you. Hugs.

Sattie,
my dad had a knack for calling just when I had no time to talk..It use to get my goat..Now I'd give the world to hear his voice..And I did...My two boys both sound alike on the phone and sound just like my dad at times..Yesterday my heart almost stopped when my oldest called and when I answered I heard Hello dare!! my dad's exact words each time he would call...It took my breath away..My son, just gulped on the other end and said he was sorry..But I told him not to be..That it felt good to hear that voice saying those words once more.
kadesma

Awe girl, you got my crying now.... man, I would give all that I have to hear his voice again. It is a blessing to me that your son has given the gift of fond memories of your dad.

I'm gonna add this.... for those of you that still have your mom and dad, please don't miss an opportunity to visit with them, to talk with them, no matter what is going on, you never know when it will be the last time you will speak with them or see them.

I had seen my mom and dad a few weeks before Thanksgiving in 2000. When I visitied with them, I took some information to my parents about the condition that my dad had been diagnosed with, Supra Nuclear Palsy. Basically the info I found stated that there was no cure and the life expectancy was about 7 years upon onset.

On Thanksgiving, we went to my MIL's home for Thanksgiving. Instead of taking the opportunity to go visit with my parents, we were h-e-double L on rushing home to see the Mavericks play-off game. My dad passed away December 2nd.... if I had any clue that could have been the last time I would get to see and visit with my dad, I would have done things differently. You have no idea how much I regret making that decision over a stupid basket ball game. How I hate myself for that.

My mom passed away about 6 months later on June 27th.

My priorities are much different now, now that it is too late. I realize now how precious those opportunities are now. Please don't make the same mistake I made.

Much love and blessings to you all.

No honey, don't you dare hate yourself!! You had no way of knowing when your dad would go!! It's not your fault!! Stop beating yourself up over this. He knows you would have been there had you known.

Lost mom 11/08, a mire shell of herself, not even 90lbs.
This strong german woman, in will and body and her love for her family. That poem, satie, was one of her favorites.
And she used to say, "don't cry for me after I'm dead, just be good to me while I'm alive". We tried to be, but she beat all.
I miss her everyday, and tried not to look at this thread, still trying to maintain, and I guess, still in alittle denial.
So I'll get through tomorrow as if it's another day (can't say Sunday, cause we used to dinner at her house every Sunday).

Her words I'll use most heartily tomorrow; "Someone has to be happy. Why not you?". And I'll get thru.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, ALL YOU MOMS
and THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HATS YOU WEAR

Last edited:
quicksilver, it's okay. Your grief is still fresh. What's beautiful is that you remember your mom's words and what she taught you. That's a lovely tribute to her on Mother's Day. I'm going to think about that all day tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom