"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

strong goat's cheese?

i hate bully goats.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I cook for myself and am more than happy to fix things Shrek would like. Sometimes I'm cooking two separate meals. Most things Shrek does like and we just have to adjust texture with a food processor.

I follow my health needs requirements closer then Shrek does, he eats lots of things I can't get away with without problems.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
strong goat's cheese?

i hate bully goats.

Bully goats are a total menace BT! And the cheese they produce is jolly pronounced!*

* jolly pronounced = very strong
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

I tend to cook for myself with DH in mind. There are a few things he doesn't like like mushrooms and green peppers. I can sneak them into certain dishes but I know better than to try something like LP's mushroom gratin on him. He says he doesn't like green peppers but I can use them in chili and jambalaya just fine. When I come across new recipes, I think about what he would like. The things I know he won't eat, I cook when he's not home. It's not much. After our first Thanksgiving together when I made turkey ala king with cracked black pepper and he dumped his down the garbage disposal, he's much more forgiving and will eat just about everything.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I tend to cook for myself with DH in mind. There are a few things he doesn't like like mushrooms and green peppers. I can sneak them into certain dishes but I know better than to try something like LP's mushroom gratin on him. He says he doesn't like green peppers but I can use them in chili and jambalaya just fine. When I come across new recipes, I think about what he would like. The things I know he won't eat, I cook when he's not home. It's not much. After our first Thanksgiving together when I made turkey ala king with cracked black pepper and he dumped his down the garbage disposal, he's much more forgiving and will eat just about everything.
Way, way back when I was married, I was lucky because my poor hubby had had to fend for himself - his mum had died when he was 17. He was literally living on cheese on toast. As soon as we could afford a cooker, he was eating like a king! I experimented and he was very happy to try the results. Sadly, food was not going to keep us together. Which is interesting reading posts here tonight about differences in appetites.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
Master Chef

My Mom used to use an expression to describe someone who would eat practically any food. Nope, can't post it here...

Offhand, I can't think of one food that I've made in nearly 40 years that caused Himself to say "don't ever fix that again". There are foods, though, that he likes that I won't touch: kippers (I buy them, he opens the can in the sunroom or front porch, eats it there, then bags and throws the can right into the outside garbage can), Zatarain's Dirty Rice (he makes it for himself when I'm out of town for a few days, making sure the smell leaves before I return), and a few other things he gets when we eat out. All in all, he's been really easy to feed. As far as him doing any cooking?
Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

My first hubby was a pro chef which made it difficult for a new bride.
So we had an agreement. Whoever was in the kitchen, made no comment and ate what was on the plate. It worked out fine.

Hubby #2 would eat anything I put on the table and always asked for seconds. A joy to cook for.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #18
Head Chef

We both have things that one really likes and the other not so much or not at all. I can't think of anything Craig won't eat at least 1 meal of that I like and he doesn't (no leftovers though) and I'm the same way with his likes except for canned tuna. Cannot stand the stuff taste wise, smell wise, visual wise, it just grosses me out. I do, however, suck it up and let it in the house when he wants tuna salad. I eat egg or chicken salad those times though and just try not to breathe too deep when the tuna is out.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

The DH doesn't really like eggplant. He'll eat it, but it is not his favourite. Luckily, he will eat almost anything except organ meats. As far as seasonings, anything goes. But, we don't live in the same house, so we don't eat together every day. When we do, we decide what we're going to eat (a lot of our conversations center around food). His cooking is plain--get it in the pan, on the plate, eat it. He tends to use a lot of hot peppers and garlic, but other than that, he doesn't do Indian/Chinese/other. That's up to me.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I cook whatever I want. GF will eat anything I make as long as there are no green peppers in it. Even then she has picked them out. I won't cook with them anymore. I just substitute red peppers. No probs. I try to cook and eat vegetables with every meal. Sometimes very little meat. Especially with Asian and Indian. I am still very interested in cooking things I have never had before. I search out authentic ingredients, cookware, utensils, and try to copy previous restaurant meals, or other dishes I come across on the web. Some are hits, some are misses. GF thinks she is spoiled. I hope she really feels that way and isn't just trying not to hurt my feelings.

She is a meat and potatoes type cook. Her previous husband, along with her two boys(who are men now) were never adventurous, so she was limited in what she could prepare. She is enjoying my take on eating and cooking.

Tags
cook, oil