"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm sure my husband must sometimes think that I have either lost my mind or I am being attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes because I will be sitting here at my computer, behaving perfectly normally. All of the sudden I am ripping all of my clothes off because I feel like if I leave them on I will die! What is bad is when that feeling hits in public, for obvious reasons. He hates when I get like that at night, in bed, because he can feel the heat actually radiating from my body.

Barbara

Old 05-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #12
Master Chef

goodness, I will hand you my perimenopause experience anyday........by the way the Russians have a wonderful word for this stage of your life "climaxia" how true.......my mother-in-law warned me not to have teens while I was going thru it and she was so right.........you really don't want to be handling menopause and teen rebellion at the same time.......

Old 05-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
Everymom

OK, you guys are scaring me. I'm hot to begin with and frequently feel like I'm going to die if I can't get fresh air and I'm nowhere close to having hot flashes. When it hits I may spontaneously combust. Stay tuned, I'll try to make sure I do it next to someone really objectionable and take them down with me.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
Master Chef

Hot flashes---Power Surge
Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I never had bad PMS until after I had my tubes tied.
You guys are scaring me, maybe I will be lucky enough to go thru it early and be done with it before I have a house full of teenagers!
Otherwise I have another 15 years or so to chew my nails about it..... and be really teary and chubby once a month for no good reason!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

On the bright side - in the winter, I've heard hot flashes described as "carrying around your own personal furnace."
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Executive Chef

BarbL, curses on you. I was just thinking the same thing and don't you know - it's happening now. I hate thinking about it, let alone talk about it.
When I was 40 (now 52) it came on my birthday. Bang!
I thought I was finally pregnant, went to the doc, he said no, and that was it. No gradual/erratic anything.

I never suffered any phobias before, but clastraphobia now BIG TIME. I have to have a ceiling fan on at all times, not so much for the cooling, as for the air circulation, or I'll jump out of my skin.
Never had weight problem. Was 105 in jr. highschool til 40. Then wham!, been 120-125 ever since and can't, for the life of me lose 15lbs. How silly is that?
And now have osteo- what do you call it?- calcium poor bones. Never broke a bone in my life til 2 yrs ago. Fractured 2 ribs on my right side that punctured the lining of my lung. Did it just by coughing and twisting at the same time. Talk about a pain. What a pain! That's when I was diagnosed. Who knew. I didn't know. Doc asked what I was taking for osteo..... I had the dumbest look on my face. That's how I learned.

BUT, guess what...NOT A GRAY HAIR ON MY HEAD! My mom did, but her mom did not, and I have grandma's coloring. Lucky me!

It could be worse. I could be 13 again, with those terrible cramps. No thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, you guys are scaring me. I'm hot to begin with and frequently feel like I'm going to die if I can't get fresh air and I'm nowhere close to having hot flashes. When it hits I may spontaneously combust. Stay tuned, I'll try to make sure I do it next to someone really objectionable and take them down with me.
Sorry Alix. It really isn't that awful - just very annoying. I'm having the full blown "power surges" (thanks for that one LadyCook), and haven't scorched anyone yet. (Still, I like the idea of being able to harness it - I know a few objectionable people too!)
Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I never had bad PMS until after I had my tubes tied.
You guys are scaring me, maybe I will be lucky enough to go thru it early and be done with it before I have a house full of teenagers!
Otherwise I have another 15 years or so to chew my nails about it..... and be really teary and chubby once a month for no good reason!
No one told me about timing it right, so I have 2 teens and a 5 year old during this "special" time. So far so good. Maybe it's because they are all boys so not much drama. I'm thinking it might be a husband you want to avoid having during the change.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Never had weight problem. Was 105 in jr. highschool til 40. Then wham!, been 120-125 ever since and can't, for the life of me lose 15lbs. How silly is that?
It could be worse. I could be 13 again, with those terrible cramps. No thanks.
Yeah! What's up with the weight thing, quicksilver? The same 15 lbs. are plaguing me, too. I've always been fairly thin and since I'm tall, 15 lbs isn't a huge amount - just enough to make me sweat more during my power surges. Has anyone else noticed they burn calories differently (or not at all) since menopause? And I wouldn't be 13 again for any amount of money. Teen angst is way worse than menopause!