"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Oh no!!!. I thought the stories I heard my mother tell a MILLION times were just her being a putzse.They're not heredity, they're gender related.
Keep that in mind, people.
DID I JUST SAY THAT AGAIN??? SORRY!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #42
Master Chef

This thread is way to funny........and yes, Vera, I'm going to be 54 in a few weeks and I still have pimples and wake up with a $200 barrel of oil on my face. I'm very appealing to OPEC----but on the plus side I have no wrinkles or grey hair. I had a cosmetologist do a skin test in my 30's----wash your face, have a skin test disc put on and wait 2 minutes. Mine was saturated with oil. She commented that she had never had a client with the amount of oil as I did after only 2 minutes.......no surprise there----cheer up she commented you'll probably not get wrinkles for a good while......as far as mentalpause is concerned you do lose your concentration-----hot flashes are just that----learned to take a shower and lie under the ceiling fan au naturelle----lots of baby powder.....DH was quite understanding about the mental illness that you go through, too.......mood swings .........to this day I can not read any stories about child abuse or killings..........just can't.......tears galore

Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Okay ladys fess up. I see the same people here, and you know we know you're in the same boat.
Give it up. We won't laugh..... Yes we will - sympatico though, promise!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #44
Head Chef

Having navigated these treacherous waters, I think it is important to say that not everyone has the same symptoms - some better, some worse. I underwent an abrupt menopause at age 41 because I was having chemotherapy for breast cancer. D**m stuff killed my ovaries almost overnight. So I had the double joy of instant hot flashes and all the good stuff that goes along with chemo. But I don't think I ever had alot of mood swings and depression and memory loss - HOW COULD I TELL? Once the chemo was over (9 months), I just felt so much better, plus I was just happy to be ALIVE. Still am. 1985 was a really cr***y year.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think it's starting... I've thought it was starting for quite awhile.
Have the hot flashes ( I'll be fine one second and sweating like mad the next)
Nights sweats OH YEAH! ( I need to cut holes in the blankets so my feet can hang out)
Mood swings.. ( just ask my poor hubby)
Forgetting things...( last week I couldn't talk or even remember what I wanted to say)
BUT... my FEMALE dr. says NO.... well then I have a fatal illness!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #46
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Ok, all you youngin's, I will be 63 next month - ! Sounds horrid doesn't it! - just a number - lol, an OLD number. All my change were, hot flashes - now hot feet, neck/head at night- ! No PMS !!! not so bad for me - just a part of growing up ! Each person is so different, Mom had night sweats- me no -just flashes ! Now memory is the Pits !! Simple words and names - bothers me a lot ! One time we were at the lake at our camper - couldn't remember - (flower pot) !!! Ask hubby - what are those tomatoes in ? I was so mad at myself- then felt so stupid - hate that the worst !!!! lol, but haven't forgot it since !!!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

had a hysterectomy at 27 years old. really bad fibroids on outside wall of uterus. they left the ovaries but they shut down pretty quickly. memory lapses were the worse things. moody and teary. got estrogen shots monthly and that seemed to do the trick.

about five years later stopped the shots and no more symptoms.

babe
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #48
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Having navigated these treacherous waters, I think it is important to say that not everyone has the same symptoms - some better, some worse. I underwent an abrupt menopause at age 41 because I was having chemotherapy for breast cancer. D**m stuff killed my ovaries almost overnight. So I had the double joy of instant hot flashes and all the good stuff that goes along with chemo. But I don't think I ever had alot of mood swings and depression and memory loss - HOW COULD I TELL? Once the chemo was over (9 months), I just felt so much better, plus I was just happy to be ALIVE. Still am. 1985 was a really cr***y year.
I agree totally with you Karen about everyone having different circumstances.

I suffered from incredible mood swings for most of my teen and adult life. Then PMS hit at 20 as I mentioned before and things just spun out of control. When I finally had the hysterectomy at 45 the doctors were concerned that either it would help the mood swings or make it that much worse. I was put on an estrogen gel immediately and almost all my emotional ups and downs disappeared. I have just recently weaned off of it after 4 years and other than still having hot flashes a couple of times a day I am still doing really well.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #49
Head Chef

What cracks me up about this thread is way back when it was mentioned about hot feet. Gosh, this year when I dug out my summer sandals (even though it was still chilly out) my feet were "moist" and sliding around. I thought I was crazy having such "hot" feet. Hehehe. I am not alone! Yeah.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
What cracks me up about this thread is way back when it was mentioned about hot feet. Gosh, this year when I dug out my summer sandals (even though it was still chilly out) my feet were "moist" and sliding around. I thought I was crazy having such "hot" feet. Hehehe. I am not alone! Yeah.
Never had sweaty feet until I was about 40 I'm 50 now I hate it don't know why it started then but my feet will sweat in shoes or flip flops even when it's cold. I really hate that. As I said my monthly stopped visiting all together about 3 months ago I have no symptoms yet. So my question when doe's one possibly expect such unpleasantness is it usually right away or is it a bit delayed once once one ceases to get their monthly expectations? I got it in my mind that I'm going to sail right thru with not to much trouble as I did with never really having cramps. So feel free to destroy my fantasy. I rather be prepared mentally than just go into shock. And to think I hated the visits and never wanted them but now that they seem to be gone I now know I am getting older and things are going to change. I will never age mentally I still think like a young person and intend to stay that way.