"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #51
Executive Chef

I've discovered several cures for the hot feet symptom. During the week, when I'm alone here, I've taken to sitting on the edge of the tub (I do this right before bed) and turning the faucet on, cold water only. I then let it simply cascade over my feet. I do this till they are cold, which can take anywhere from 3 minutes or 3 hours. Seriously, it takes a couple of minutes.

My favourite is a a method that requires the love and tenderness of someone who can safely get in the same room with you. That's the ice bath treatment. Fill a bowl with ice cubes and a a bit of cold water. Soak a wash cloth in the bowl and then wrap it around your foot. It usually only takes a minute or two before the cloth no longer feels cool. Dip it back in the bowl and rewrap, alternate feet. This is especially helpful after an afternoon of shopping the blues away in a pair of unsensible shoes, too. It's so much more effective when someone you love does the wrapping and soaking.

Finally, a more drastic measure is to hack off the foot at the ankle and place it in the freezer. I recommend ziploc type storage bags so as not to incur cross contamination with your chickens and other assorted food products. Also, as with anything else from the freezer, please don't defrost on the counter and definitely do not refreeze without cooking first.

Hey....how many of you have a single weird and lone hair growing somewhere facial??? Hmmm?? How many??

Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #52
Head Chef

LOL-I always sleep with at least one foot hanging out of the covers no matter how cold it is! jpmcgrew, you might sail right through - some women do! I really hope you are one of them. Hey, it's just the introduction to the next part of your life - and trust me on this - it's a good one. No kids at home, no job to go to, no alarm to set every night. Just enjoy.

Quote:
Hey....how many of you have a single weird and lone hair growing somewhere facial??? Hmmm?? How many??
Oh Vera, it started with ONE hair growing out of a mole on my cheek (I always fancied it a beauty mark) and now there are about FIVE very bristly hairs growing there. I chop them off as soon as I see them. Oh - and my daughter bought me a nose hair clipper. Do you think she is trying to tell me something?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
LOL-I always sleep with at least one foot hanging out of the covers no matter how cold it is! jpmcgrew, you might sail right through - some women do! I really hope you are one of them. Hey, it's just the introduction to the next part of your life - and trust me on this - it's a good one. No kids at home, no job to go to, no alarm to set every night. Just enjoy.
Thanks MK, I guess I will find out sooner or later. The funny thing is ever since I was about sixteen it seemed I would get over heated and sweaty for no good reason not on a regular basis but just every few weeks or so. It comes over me like a wave for about five to ten minutes then go away.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #54
Executive Chef

The black hair is a curse for sure it's my chin that seems to get them I use tweezers. I swear some can grow a 1/2 inch overnight. That is one thing I could definately do with out. WOW! I can just imagine all the guys reading this thread. Oh well they probabley need the education. I'm sure they have their own problems as well. I HOPE SO. If not than it's just plain not fair
Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #55
Head Chef

jp - have you ever had your thyroid tested? My daughter has thyroid problems and has hot flashes, hairs growing out of her chin, etc. Only 39.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I love this discussion!!! I have no sisters but this feels like how sisters would talk about these things. It must be true - we really are all sisters under the skin!

The hot feet thing doesn't really bother me much. It's happening, but since I am barefoot 90% of the time, it's not too bad. I do stick them in a bowl of cold water from time to time and it feels heavenly. But my real issue with my feet is that suddenly, I have dry, cracked heels and rough dry soles. I've never had this before. I have very nice feet (I think) since they have rarely been subjected to shoes (barefoot and pregnant most of my life) so this is irritating. I spend a fair amount of time with those "sanding" things and applying oils and creams to keep them looking OK. Is this happening to any of you?

I get the odd stray facial hair, too, which I promptly tweeze out. But if it gets any worse, I'm gonna kill them with laser treatments! I remember being scared at a very young age of my great grandmother because she had a very creepy bristle on her chin - now I have a horror of scaring small children with unwanted facial hair.

Oh and BTW, how many of you can actually see these facial hairs without benefit of some serious reading glasses? Or a 10x mirror?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #57
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I get the odd stray facial hair, too, which I promptly tweeze out. But if it gets any worse, I'm gonna kill them with laser treatments! I remember being scared at a very young age of my great grandmother because she had a very creepy bristle on her chin - now I have a horror of scaring small children with unwanted facial hair.
I now also have some thick hairs growing on my face from two moles. It is usually just two or three and I pluck them on a regular basis. However, ever since puberty I have had some "peach fuzz growing above my upper lip. I was mortified in Grade 10 when I was in the school office running the school newspaper off on the guestetner machine (no photocopiers in those days) and the principal of all people walked by me and said "is that a moustache I see?" My self-esteem was low in those days but that just put me at rock bottom. I borrowed my sister's leg shaver when I got home and tried to shave it off but of course it came back thicker. A friend suggested bleaching it and finally I resorted to going and getting it, and my thick eyebrows (almost just one) waxed every 3 weeks.

Now, I don't worry so much, except the most pronounced hairs.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
jp - have you ever had your thyroid tested? My daughter has thyroid problems and has hot flashes, hairs growing out of her chin, etc. Only 39.
No test the little hairs started about 7-8 years ago I think the hot moments are just a natural thing as I am very warm natured anyway. I'm the type that can take a great amount of cold and enjoy it while other people complain about it. I really like the temp outside to be around 55 degrees as long as there is no wind and a lot of sun. High humidity cold is not as comfortable. But you are right it might be worth a test. I do not feel bad at all and sleep really well. I also like to stick my feet out of the comforter until it gets really cold.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #59
Executive Chef

I had my thyroid tested a couple of months ago to see if that was causing some of these symptoms since I'm still getting "it" every month. (I think I was actually hoping all this was a sluggish thyroid.) But nope, all those levels were fine.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #60
Master Chef

well, my perfect sister-in-law according to her had NO symptoms---one day she woke up and had finished "all this business.........ah-----to be perfect....meowwwwwwww