For Women Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Have you seen that commercial that says "for the generation that swore it'd never get old...well it hasn't!"? What a load of %#%%^&^$! Did you actually see that guy with the surfboard, who says "never trust anyone over 90"? Is he really supposed to be, what....60? C'mon, I know a 40 year old tri-athlete when I see one.

I, on the other hand, believe me and my 8 remaining eggs are torpedoing towards menopause at breakneck speed. (for all you men that felt you might be interested in a thread that is titled 'for women only', this might be a good time to excuse yourselves...isn't there a surfboard waiting for you, somewhere?)

I am 46, and while my hair believes it's 82 (anyone who goes grey at the tender age of 26 must have some old lady's hair, yes) I feel and act like I'm at least 15 years younger. My ovaries, on the other hand, are already searching the want ads for quiet porches with white, wooden rocking chairs. I always enjoyed a nice, reliable cycle. If I was late, I was pregnant. It doesn't get any easire than that. Now...I have calendars with circles and calendars with triangles. The circles are when I got 'it' the previous month. The triangle is when 'it' actually knocked. It's been some time since a circle and a triangle actually met. March had two circles and one triangle. April had no circles and no triangles, and it feels really bad about that. May, while 27 days in has no circles or triangles to speak of, either, I'm a firm believer in 'it ain't over till the fat lady sings'. I just think those 8 remaining eggs of mine forgot the words to any songs other than auld lang syne.

And what's with the pimples?? :angry: I got the typical teenager bouts of zits (godhowihatethatword), purchased stock in the clearasil company, and figured I'd grow out of it. I gotta tell you, if I have to suffer the indignity of one more pimple, I sure as rain better not ever get a wrinkle. As far as I'm concerned, I should be able to tan to my hearts content. I've got a complexion that is, apparently, 2/3 olive oil. No, I'd better not ever wrinkle.

And my feet are always hot. All night long, I have to hang them out of the bed, hoping some errant breeze will twist about them, cooling off the rest of my body. And the nape of my neck tends to get damp during the night. What's with that???? It's as though someone has put a cool compress to the back of my neck, only the compress is invisible and the water I feel actually seeped out.

So, now I'm reading WebMD, getting all sorts of fun filled facts regarding periomenopause. What a name. Perio. Reminds me of where they cut me when I pushed those two kids out, about a hundred years and 3000 eggs ago. First, you hear the doctor say 'you're going to feel some pressure'...when he reallly means 'this is going to hurt a he!! of a lot, but it will help the watermelon pass'. More or less, my kids have moved out. (my daughter visits when she has multiple days off from work and just sleeps and eats when she's here. my son, who sorta still lives here, is in love, and I'm pretty much invisible to them) I'm enjoying the empty nest, wish they'd both just clean out their rooms so I can sell this place. My ovaries, it seems, are all in an uproar about their empty nest. C'mon ladies, I say...push those babies out. Get it over with already.

Remember when Edith Bunker was going through 'the change'? Archie was at wit's end trying to be nice to her, but it was killing him. Finally, he'd had enough, and insisted that if she was going to have a change of life, she had exactly 5 minutes to do it in. C'mon Edith, he said, change!

Perio, indeed....my feet are hot.:furious:

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt. No...got the sweatshirt. Welcome to the world of "over 40," darlin'!

Do you like rollercoaster rides? If you don't, you'd better learn to like them because you are embarking on the ride of a lifetime. Oh, and, learn to be naked. That's the only way - save for a cold shower - you'll cool off during bouts of "hot." Think your feet are hot now, wait for the rest of your body to catch up.

I got cured. Had to have a hysterectomy about 10 years ago because I was in dire straights healthwise. Best decision I ever made.

I'm no longer the "Madwoman of Harlan Hill!"

I hear ya. Been there , done that. It's only just begun for you. I'm 61 and half . I still get hot feet , can't bear to wear shoes, I go barefoot all the time in the house and out in the yard.

I was lucky (maybe not at the time) going through the change and a $67,000.00 attorney-fee divorce at the ripe age of 37. It was #@!! then but it's great now. And guess what, a hysterectomy is even greater!!!!!! Best thing I ever did for myself. Yea, the nape of your neck - you're only starting babe! Wait until your hair is soaked and plastered to your head and you wake up looking like you already took a shower. :flower:

Oh wait, I'll try to think of something good about it and get back with you :LOL:

Here's one good thing..You can go sit through a football game in 30 degree weather with just a light sweater and feel like it's spring...
:ohmy::ROFLMAO::LOL:

kadesma

Wow, Vera, it sounds like you and I are living the same life. (Although I've just recently started with full-on hot flashes that wake me up periodically throughout the night.)

I really hear you on the hair thing - I can't figure out whose hair is on my head now but it's nothing like the hair I used to have. Ditto for my skin. It seems like I woke up one day in someone else's skin (and she must have been old!)

My little purse calendar is dotted with red circles too, that seem to have no discernible cycle at all. Essentially, I have to be ready for "it" to show up at any moment.

You didn't mention crankiness, moodiness and weird spells of forgetfulness. If you haven't experienced those yet, get ready for them.

The up side for me is eventually I will never have to worry about getting pregnant again! Also, I like who I am at this age. I feel confident and self-reliant. I'm more mellow because I know how not to worry about the small stuff anymore because it just doesn't matter. I feel sexier and more attractive now too (but that may be all in my head :LOL:.) In the end, I just look at it as getting to another stage in life - but it really sucks getting there.

Thank you Vera!
If you don't mind I'd like to send this to a few of my friends. It's priceless.

Oh Vera, your treatise is worthy of wider distribution for sure. Like Katie, Kadesma, et.al., I have FINALLY stopped having hot flashes and I am grateful. I can remember giving speeches (work-related) and having sweat drip down on my notes so that I couldn't read them! Had to apologize more than a few times because I had to remove my steamed-up glasses and wipe them down. Hang on, kid.

Due to chronic medical problems, I may have skipped the menopause phase altogether and recently was pretty much diagnosed as post-menopausal (I'm 45). I sympathize with you, though, Vera. I've heard a lot about "the change" from friends and relatives and it doesn't sound like any fun at all. I do love the way you wrote about it, though :) Here's hoping it doesn't last too long.

:) Wow! A few months ago I was getting less and less menses. About two months ago they just disappeared I'm fifty years old but have yet to get any symptom's was a late starter when I was younger and have never ever had cramps except in my late 30s when I was going thru a great amount of stress. Always had the most incredible PMS until I got on Paxil and increased my fish oil and calcium and yet no cramps to speak of. I'm still surprised that there are no symptoms so far. I am really hoping I will breeze thru this as I did when I was younger. I do drink some soy milk and take some ground flax seed every few days which is supposed to help with the change.

I'm sure my husband must sometimes think that I have either lost my mind or I am being attacked by a swarm of mosquitoes because I will be sitting here at my computer, behaving perfectly normally. All of the sudden I am ripping all of my clothes off because I feel like if I leave them on I will die! What is bad is when that feeling hits in public, for obvious reasons. :LOL: He hates when I get like that at night, in bed, because he can feel the heat actually radiating from my body.

:wacko:Barbara

goodness, I will hand you my perimenopause experience anyday........by the way the Russians have a wonderful word for this stage of your life "climaxia" how true.......my mother-in-law warned me not to have teens while I was going thru it and she was so right.........you really don't want to be handling menopause and teen rebellion at the same time.......

OK, you guys are scaring me. I'm hot to begin with and frequently feel like I'm going to die if I can't get fresh air and I'm nowhere close to having hot flashes. When it hits I may spontaneously combust. Stay tuned, I'll try to make sure I do it next to someone really objectionable and take them down with me.

I never had bad PMS until after I had my tubes tied.
You guys are scaring me, maybe I will be lucky enough to go thru it early and be done with it before I have a house full of teenagers!
Otherwise I have another 15 years or so to chew my nails about it..... and be really teary and chubby once a month for no good reason!

BarbL, curses on you. I was just thinking the same thing and don't you know - it's happening now. I hate thinking about it, let alone talk about it.
When I was 40 (now 52) it came on my birthday. Bang!
I thought I was finally pregnant, went to the doc, he said no, and that was it. No gradual/erratic anything.

I never suffered any phobias before, but clastraphobia now BIG TIME. I have to have a ceiling fan on at all times, not so much for the cooling, as for the air circulation, or I'll jump out of my skin.
Never had weight problem. Was 105 in jr. highschool til 40. Then wham!, been 120-125 ever since and can't, for the life of me lose 15lbs. How silly is that?
And now have osteo- what do you call it?- calcium poor bones. Never broke a bone in my life til 2 yrs ago. Fractured 2 ribs on my right side that punctured the lining of my lung. Did it just by coughing and twisting at the same time. Talk about a pain. What a pain! That's when I was diagnosed. Who knew. I didn't know. Doc asked what I was taking for osteo..... I had the dumbest look on my face. That's how I learned.

BUT, guess what...NOT A GRAY HAIR ON MY HEAD! My mom did, but her mom did not, and I have grandma's coloring. Lucky me!

It could be worse. I could be 13 again, with those terrible cramps. No thanks.

OK, you guys are scaring me. I'm hot to begin with and frequently feel like I'm going to die if I can't get fresh air and I'm nowhere close to having hot flashes. When it hits I may spontaneously combust. Stay tuned, I'll try to make sure I do it next to someone really objectionable and take them down with me.
Sorry Alix. It really isn't that awful - just very annoying. I'm having the full blown "power surges" (thanks for that one LadyCook), and haven't scorched anyone yet. (Still, I like the idea of being able to harness it - I know a few objectionable people too!)

I never had bad PMS until after I had my tubes tied.
You guys are scaring me, maybe I will be lucky enough to go thru it early and be done with it before I have a house full of teenagers!
Otherwise I have another 15 years or so to chew my nails about it..... and be really teary and chubby once a month for no good reason!
No one told me about timing it right, so I have 2 teens and a 5 year old during this "special" time. So far so good. Maybe it's because they are all boys so not much drama. I'm thinking it might be a husband you want to avoid having during the change.:)

Never had weight problem. Was 105 in jr. highschool til 40. Then wham!, been 120-125 ever since and can't, for the life of me lose 15lbs. How silly is that?
It could be worse. I could be 13 again, with those terrible cramps. No thanks.
Yeah! What's up with the weight thing, quicksilver? The same 15 lbs. are plaguing me, too. I've always been fairly thin and since I'm tall, 15 lbs isn't a huge amount - just enough to make me sweat more during my power surges. Has anyone else noticed they burn calories differently (or not at all) since menopause? And I wouldn't be 13 again for any amount of money. Teen angst is way worse than menopause!

Back
Top Bottom