Foreign words in recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
If you were to type a recipe for, say, a blog, that has a lot of foreign words, do you italicize the first instance of every foreign word? Every instance throughout the body of text? Or is seeing so many italics distracting?

Type it up, sit and stare, leave it, go back to it, you should be able to figure it out by then or ask your neighbour, spouse.

It also depends on what the word means. Are you talking about an ingredient?
or an action? a measurement?

Just how foreign is it? Is there a translation? Put the equivalent translation once, in brackets, at the beginning. They can always go back and check if needs be. I imagine it might become annoying always in italics.

and one small Blog request. Please do not post your text in pale blue. I don't know why all of a sudden bloggers everywhere are doing this but it makes for horrid eye strain reading! Some of them even carry it over into their printable version!

The forum software changes links to blue automatically....

regarding foreign words... I think they are fair game and should not be capitalized or italicized generally.

roux - 1 word for a specific mixture and process
souffle - would you instead say, puffed casserole? for that matter "casserole" is essentially a foreign word.
puree = mix or blend until entirely smooth... well, you get the idea...

That said, I would have a glossary of these terms. There needs to be an explanation about roux and how to do it.

Too many italicized words makes a document difficult to read, in my opinion. When it comes to recipes, I wouldn't bother with most common cooking terms and phrases. For example:

• sauté
  • al dente
  • à la carte
  • purée
  • bouillon
  • hors d'oeuvres

Although these are all foreign in origin, they are used often enough in English language recipes that I think the meaning is clear to most people.

Others are more obscure. A few that come to mind:

• dépouiller
  • glace de viande
  • panade

For these, I would italicize them the first time they are used, and follow with a brief definition in English. If you use the same term later in the document, it doesn't have to be italicized a second time.

This is just how I would do it, but I'm not a professional copywriter. Be aware there are a number of different style guides out there that will give you conflicting information. I think the most important consideration is to be consistent with a single style. As long as you do that, I don't think the blog police will give you much grief.

Last edited:
I have been a professional copy editor and Steve has the right idea. Probably the easiest thing to do is to choose a style guide and stick with it. AP Stylebook is the standard for publishing periodicals. They sell a softcover book that doesn't cost very much, and is fascinating to read for word nerds like me [emoji2]

http://www.apstylebook.com

Last edited:
JustJ, your recent one on Ramen is fine. Yes, it is in blue but it is dark enough to be a legible blue. The quotes are getting pretty close to "should someone want to 'save & print' it will be far, far too pale and darn right annoying", IMHO.

I think, where you've been using italics in this particular post, is also fine. You are stressing points that otherwise could be taken in more ways than one. I like it.

LOL - we've all been saying basically the same thing so I think you got your answer!

Here is a common one.
Chop up one vache brune.
So chop it. ;)
Chop it good. :ROFLMAO:
I said, "chop it".:ROFLMAO:
Why are people so serious here? Is it the cold weather and cabin fever?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom