Forgetting your groceries at the store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calya

Senior Cook
I went to the grocery store today and when I got home, I thought.....where are the bananas, tomatoes and cucumber that I bought?? It turns out, I must have forgotten one bag of groceries at the store! It is too far to go back and get them now, but I keep thinking.....how did I forget a whole bag of groceries?

This has to have happened to others before right? :LOL: Anyone else have a story to share?

Yeah that happens to me every once in a while. Thankfully I live just a few minutes from the store, but there have been times when I knew I would not be able to get back for a few days. I called the store and they found the bad and put it aside for me to pick up at my convenience. If there were meats or other things that could go bad then they put those back in stock and I was able to take my receipt and get those items next time I was there. Give the store a call. I would be surprised if they did not offer to do that for you.

I think we've all done that - the cashier should have noticed, or the bag boy, tho.

I think we've all done that - the cashier should have noticed, or the bag boy, tho.
OMG ~ we don't even have bag people anymore.

Call the store, they are required to keep any left over bags and note the contents. They'll put them back on the shelves and allow you to get new of the items you bought. I have, on more than one occasion, found items left on carts in the parking lot and returned them to the store ~ most recently an expensive bottle of motor oil. Just call the store, they should have record of your mishap.

Thanks GB, I think I will call the store. The person who bagged the groceries put the bags in my cart, and I didn't pay attention. I was in a rush. I don't think anyone was bagging groceries really. One of the ladies who work at the store offered to do it because I had some heavy items and she noticed that I am very pregnant. Someone was talking to her the whole time, so she probably didn't notice.

Yeah, just call they'll make good on it. Just jot down the name of the person you talked to and bring in your receipt. I worked for a grocery chain for 11 years and the cashiers have one of the hardest jobs out there. They also have a customer per hour quota to make along with an items scanned per minute to achieve. And at places like Walmart who don't have baggers, I always put my groceries on the conveyer belt in order. Frozen and cold stuff together, delicate items together like chips, bread and produce, and canned goods together also. He/She can bag faster, I know my groceries are safe from being crushed and everyone goes home happy.

Yeah, Calya - it has happened to me a couple of times ... so now I watch the checker/bag boy like a hawk. But, having a "bagger" is some what of a rarety these days.

On the other side - I have gotten home and found a bag of groceries that I didn't buy a time or two.

On the other side - I have gotten home and found a bag of groceries that I didn't buy a time or two.
Have you returned it or called the store to tell them as much? I ask because I do. They've said to keep it but asked me what was in the bag. I tell them and they must do something with the information but they always tell me to keep it for my honesty.

I've left some and I've also got home with a bag belonging to someone else. Several years ago before we had our own Publix I used to stop on the way home from work at a Publix close to my office. One night when I got home and started putting up my groceries I had an extra bag with all kinds of goodies - a really good steak, a jar of watermelon preserves and several other things that I can't remember but hadn't bought. I called the store and they said "enjoy them, the person who missed them came back and got more". I thought that was very nice of them. Of course I've spent a cajillion dollars at Publix in all these years.

I haven't forgotten my groceries, hubby and I were at the checkout and a man in front of me , walked out and left a bag , I went after him with his bag and gave it to him.

I used to shop at a store that would give you a numbered tag, then you would get your car and drive to a spot where your groceries would be loaded into your car. Very cool, right? Wrong. I got all the way home before I remembered that I didn't drive through and get my groceries. Wheh I went back to get them, I said to the man who loaded them, "I'll bet people do this all the time, right?" He looked at me kinda funny and said. "Not really." Oops.

I've definitely done it on both ends .... found myself with a bag of food I know I didn't buy (a gallon of milk, boxes of cereal, etc .... stuff I have never in my life bought) and/or without one I know I bought. Now I live in a small town, and if I go to the smaller grocery, it would be no problem to fix. The super wal-mart down the road, though, would be another story. It would be "Forget It -- Good-bye groceries." I think the funniest time, though, was when I bought a few items down on our (touristy) main street, then met hubby & friends for drinks. I put my bag of stuff down on the bar, then after a few drinks, strolled home with hubby, put the stuff away, wondering when he'd bought these gourmet items that seemed unlikely for him, and what happened to the six-pack of pop I'd bought at the bar? Oh, well, I've had a few. Later I got a call from the bar because some lady tourist was accusing the bartender of stealing her bag of souvenier food items. I offered to bring the stuff by the next day, but the bartender told me not to bother, the lady was so rude to her that she deserved what she got and she'd just put the pop back in the reefer for re-sale.

Back
Top Bottom