Found $200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recipefan007

Assistant Cook
This is awesome I was walking out of my dorm and in the hall way I found $200.... I know everyone will say I should return it, but I want to keep it!

yeah... you should prbly check around and see who lost it. Must have been fun to find it though.

I would find who it belonged to also. It could have been you that lost it and what if it were for books or something that you really needed and they kept it?
I know it's hard, especially this close to Christmas, but, you will feel better seeing the person get it back.
But that is your choice on what you do.

Someone will be asking around about it..keep your ears open ad then think "what if I lost it.." and then let your conscience be your guide.
I know you will do the right thing.
Marge~Dove

I know when I was in college if I had found that much money I would have kept it. I would have looked back on that as a mistake though and it probably would have always bothered me.

Try to find the owner and in the case that you make a good effort and no one claims it then you can keep it with a clear conscience. Chances are good that someone will claim it though so don't get your hopes up, but if you return it then you can hold your head high knowing that you did the right thing. I believe in karma. If you do the right thing then you will be better off for it.

I think you should try to find the owner since you probably will.

Cameron

I would definitely try to find the owner. I don't know what the law is in most places, but I know that in California, anything over $100 had to be turned in to the police. Law or no law, I wouldn't feel right not trying.

:) Barbara

this reminds me of something that happened to my brother once. he was walking out of a grocery store and found a small change purse containing a few hundred dollars, and no i.d..
he didn't even think twice about going into the store and informing the manager of what he had found, and turned in the money with his name and our phone number.
i remember giving him a hard time about it, but all he said was what if it was someone's that really needed it. he couldn't enjoy the money thinking that someone else might be suffering for the loss.
later that afternoon, an old woman called to thank him. she was poor and very ill, and that was all of the money she had to buy groceries and medicine for the month. because of her infirmity, she was only able to make it to the store about once a month, so she would save up for the trip.

there's no big moral here. my brother never won the lottery, or recieved a big reward for something. but his conscience was clear, his karma intact, and he felt pretty good for doing the right thing. that's worth more than a few hundred bucks, imo.

problem is...how do you know the person isnt lying?? these are college kids, and i doubt that they would have any moral issues lying for beer money.

if it were me, i would keep $25 for myself (cause im such a great person)...and donate the rest to a worthy cause of your choice.

mugsy27 said:
problem is...how do you know the person isnt lying??
You withhold the amount and details about where it was found and anything else. The person who says they lost the money will need to tell you how much, what denomination and any other details (It was in a money clip or had a rubber band around it or they were all brand new crisp bills etc.)

buckytom said:
... but his conscience was clear, his karma intact, and he felt pretty good for doing the right thing. that's worth more than a few hundred bucks, imo.

Absolutely right on, Bucky!

Well, I would just hang onto it for a while... $200 is a big sum of money for most of unblessed unBillGates-like folks like us, if there was anyone who accidentally lost it, he/she would be freaking out and make the emergency known around the neighbourhood as soon as the problem is discovered. I wouldn't go around asking about it I am sure there will be false claim(s) for it, unfortunately it is just that kind of world we live in. If you don't hear about any problems over the money after several days, well, it is up to you to decide, either report it to the school authority or, well give yourself the authority to your discovery....

you should knock on everyones door and ask if they got $200 and see their reaction, if they whine about losing money thats probably him or im just making up a bad idea :-p

I once found 40 bucks on the ground and nobody was around to claim it. I ended up keeping it and donating 1/2 of it to charity. Somehow I didn't feel as bad for keeping it when I did this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom