"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,489
France to force big supermarkets to give unsold food to charities

France to force big supermarkets to give unsold food to charities | World news | The Guardian


This should be a standard in the USA.

__________________

__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Thumbs up

It's a brilliant idea! I guess US don't have food banks like we have here in UK? They are depots for donated foods given for those in need. They have been around a few years now but have really taken off with the government's more stringent laws regarding claiming benefit. Sometimes the gap between making a claim and receiving it is a long wait. It is to the government's shame that there is a need for this in the first place.
__________________

__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,489
USA does have food banks, but all of the unsold food does not go where it should go.
__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
That article is about France, not the United States. Some stores and food companies do this. The master gardener group of which I'm a member donates fresh vegetables we grow in our display garden.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That article is about France, not the United States. Some stores and food companies do this. The master gardener group of which I'm a member donates fresh vegetables we grow in our display garden.
Key Word "SOME"

This has to be a bigger nationwide effort by all.
__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Key Word "SOME"

This has to be a bigger nationwide effort by all.
Agreed....as you mentioned in your OP, i.e. that it needs to be a standard in the USA.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
USA does have food banks, but all of the unsold food does not go where it should go.
The problem here in the U.S. is the lack of drivers to pick up the unsold food. We have a huge food bank in Boston. Stop and Shop, 7-11 stores, Market Basket, Shaw's, etc. as well as many other stores, big and small have a policy that all produce and fresh baked goods that is not sold today and not fit for tomorrow, goes to the HUGE food bank in Boston that supplies all the surrounding communities that have local food banks. And the Boston Food Bank does not have the funds to pay a full time driver or to buy or rent a truck on a daily basis to make the daily rounds.

How do I know this? My girlfriend started the food bank at my church just 1.5 blocks from my home. Unless it is Thanksgiving or Christmas time, volunteer work is not on everyone's mind.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The problem here in the U.S. is the lack of drivers to pick up the unsold food. We have a huge food bank in Boston. Stop and Shop, 7-11 stores, Market Basket, Shaw's, etc. as well as many other stores, big and small have a policy that all produce and fresh baked goods that is not sold today and not fit for tomorrow, goes to the HUGE food bank in Boston that supplies all the surrounding communities that have local food banks. And the Boston Food Bank does not have the funds to pay a full time driver or to buy or rent a truck on a daily basis to make the daily rounds.

How do I know this? My girlfriend started the food bank at my church just 1.5 blocks from my home. Unless it is Thanksgiving or Christmas time, volunteer work is not on everyone's mind.


That needs to be a paid position though... Even if the local grocery stores chip in some money to pay for a driver or two to the unsold food to the people that need it most.
__________________
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
That needs to be a paid position though... Even if the local grocery stores chip in some money to pay for a driver or two to the unsold food to the people that need it most.
And the battle continues. Nobody wants to take responsibility for making sure the products get picked up and also delivered to the local food banks.

The Boston Food Bank is located in a HUGE warehouse. It had been abandoned and the city was going to pull the building down. They gave it to the food bank and they turned it into a marvel. Shelves and shelves of foods ready to go out the door. Those shelves go from the front of the building all the way to the back wall. But no driver to deliver it. They have a slew of volunteer workers at different times of day. But they do not volunteer to use their car or gas for delivery.

I will have to ask Marilyn how her food bank works. I know I don't have all the facts.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
There are a gazillion reasons why this won't happen here's....
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, france

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.