"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Ok, criniit, I will ask you.
Because I am totally ignorant in the subject.
We, and I mean the general public here, are totally ignorant.
We heard, watched stuff, we think this society is something "weird" or " no good".
Have to admit, I am VERY curious myself!
Ok, questions.

Can you tell us about the "secrets" and why they are that?
Or what the purpose of the organization is?
Or where can we find out more?
Just in case some of us is interested..

Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by criniit View Post
Hey everyone, and hello to you brothers in this thread. I am a Mason as well Lodge #235 in Georgia.

Just to clear up some things there are no levels above a 3rd degree master mason. The higher numbered ranks (4-33) are earned by masons who chose to join the Scottish Rite which is an appendant body of freemasonry. York Rite is another appendant body. The higher the number does not mean the higher the "power level" (or how ever you want to put it) instead the degrees of the appendant bodies of free masonry are horizontal. Meaning that a 32nd degree Scottish rite mason holds no more power than a 3rd degree Master Mason. All the higher degrees do is allow you to explore more knowledge within the appendant body you have joined.

Also the 33rd degree in Scottish Rite is a special degree bestowed upon masons who have done Great things for the community. This degree is not given out lightly (my grandfather was one) So if you do have a relative that was a 33rd degree know he was truly a great man.

As far as Masonry being a secret society, we are more like a society with secrets the main of which are our modes of recognition. I would be happy to answer any of your questions feel free to PM me.

PS: No I won't teach you the hand shake :)

Well stated facts Criniit! Thanks for joining in!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #23
Head Chef

Back in 1826 or so, when the first "expose" book in the US was written about the Masons, the secrets were so closely held that the author was allegedly murdered in an attempt to keep the book from being published.
His wife did it anyway.

If you are really interested, Mason manuals and such are available on ebay. I run across them periodically, and always offer them for sale. It is my hope that someone in the society buys them so they can "go home".
Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol View Post
Ok, criniit, I will ask you.
Because I am totally ignorant in the subject.
We, and I mean the general public here, are totally ignorant.
We heard, watched stuff, we think this society is something "weird" or " no good".
Have to admit, I am VERY curious myself!
Ok, questions.

Can you tell us about the "secrets" and why they are that?
Or what the purpose of the organization is?
Or where can we find out more?
Just in case some of us is interested..
Well the thing about ll the TV programs "uncovering the masons" "world domination" all that crap is just a way to get people to watch. People say we are some global mega power bent on world domination but they only say that because many powerful and influential men have been members of masonry. Including lot of presidents not only in the US but all over the world, senators, congressmen. But the masons also have garbage men, deli owners, regular people. The philosophy of the freemasons is that in the lodge (what we call out meeting place) all men are equal whether king or peasant. As well as religion and politics are not allowed to be talked about in the lodge. Kinda makes it hard to plot world domination when were not even allowed to talk about it doesn't it?

As far as secrets...well now that we are in the 21st century with the internet we don't have very many any more. The one that we guard most closely is our modes of recognition (handshakes, symbols, passwords to recognize each other as masons)

Freemasonry's stated purpose is to make a good man into a better man. Masonry teaches a system of conduct and attitudes for use in dealing with other people. It also encourages its members to actively seek to better themselves through hard work, dedication, and education. To convey these lessons, symbols and allegories are used. Each of our visual symbols has a meaning which is designed to remind us of some moral or social virtue which we should learn and practice. The stories we tell in course of our three degrees of membership are allegorical and designed to be impressive to the candidate while teaching important lessons. Above all else, Freemasonry is dedicated to the brotherhood of mankind.

In addition to the numerous activities that Masonic lodges conduct on a regular basis to keep their members and their families interested in the fraternity, Freemasons do all kinds of things. Freemasons perform tasks for the benefit of their community. They care for those who cannot care for themselves. And most widely known, they contribute to those less fortunate that themselves. Freemasonry is NOT a charity organization. However, charity is one of the many Masonic virtues which we teach. As a result, members of various Masonic bodies are encouraged to give to those in need. This is done to the tune of $1.5 MILLION EACH DAY, totaling over $500 million in Masonic charity contribution each year.

Oh and if you are looking for reading material I would try Freemasons for Dummies, not joke that book is actually pretty good, it' written by a mason and will teach you the basics of freemasonry for an outsider.

PS: Oh and sorry to any other brothers who I just took the air of mystery from them :)
Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Thank you very much for your answer!
Especially for the book, I will read it.
This is all fascinating to me.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

No problem :)
Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #27
Executive Chef

From what I was told Masons are all over the world and if you are a mason and happen to get in a bit of a pickle anywhere in another country and a mason there recognizes you as a fellow mason they will help you if you need it.
So what are the rules regarding the ring, my dad wanted me to have his ring as he knew my stupid brother would wear it although he is not a mason.Some say I can wear on a chain on my neck some dont know for sure.Is it true I would get help should I ever need it from the masons having the possesion of my dads ring.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Where the ring on a chain if you want. Though don't try and pass your self off as a mason we will be able to tell if you are lying almost instantly. But just like any frat in the world if I see another member that i recognize to be a mason of course I would help him out..we are brothers.

As for wearing the ring..I don' see anything wrong with wearing on a chain, if someone asks just say your carrying on your fathers spirit. They won't mind.

PS: Yes there are masons all over the world, our society did not originate in America.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Well stated again Criniit.

I often use the phrase...The reaL secret of Free Masonry is...It makes good men... better men!

Also this takes some thought but..."Masonry is a moral science based on an operative art.

Example...Ancient Stone Masons used a common gavel (hammer) to break off the, rough parts of stone, the better to fit the builder's use.(Operative Art) Today when a Mason see a hammer he often thinks and sees the need to divest from his heart and mind all the vices of life...therby making his body a "living stone" for that house not made with hands..eternal in the heavens! (Moral Science)

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Well said Uncle Bob,

Also if anyone is that interested in the meaning of masonry symbols, then go buy the book morals and dogma by albert pike. This is the scottish rite book, and the symbolic meanings are those of Albert Pike but it will give you an insight. Oh and good luck getting through it, its very wordy and several thousand pages long. Took me forever...