Free Masons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could donate it back to the local Lodge

I have my grandfathers' F. & A. M. apron and have no idea what I should be doing with it. It is dated 1929. Any advice of how to treat it?

I wonder why it was not used at his funeral.

I had a conversation with the Master Of a Local Lodge last week about just this topic.

Often the item and be reissued in memory of the former owner.

I wonder why it was not used at his funeral.

I had a conversation with the Master Of a Local Lodge last week about just this topic.

Often the item and be reissued in memory of the former owner.

It was only yesterday that I realized that I have never seen his obituary, which is quite odd. I have at least 30 obits for my ancestors, and not one for this grandfather. His surname was Wilkinson, and I am a member of the DAR through this Wilkinson line. It may take me a bit to get ahold of his obit to see what his funeral was like. My gut feeling is to keep this apron in the family. Is that incorrect? I have a nephew with the middle name Wilkinson and I have a large collection of Wilkinson things that I intended to give to him rather soon.

Can you tell me more about reusing an apron within a lodge?

:)I have 2 8x10 black and white photos taken in the 50s or 60s I cant tell as there is no date one is my dad and a bunch of other guys the ones in the front row wore a fez the other picture they are dressed in their suits as well standing in three rows my dad was the first in the second row, each row they have a rope over their right shoulder linking them to the guys behind the row over their right shoulders as well.So I dont know if I had been born yet or not I was born in 1957

Miss Beth...

Probably....The apron you have that belonged to your Grandfather is a "Presentation Apron" It was presented to him on the day/afternoon/evening or night that he received his Master Mason Degree. It may even have the date, his name, and other information about this occasson. This is a very special Apron. It represents a very special time in his Masonic Life. I just don't see how it could ever mean to anyone else what it meant to your Grandfather, and now to your family. It's personalized. I guess my point is... Why would your high school want your class ring back to re-use it??? I've never heard of a lodge wanting a Presentation Apron back, unless they were going to display it along with other "old stuff' ....My advice, keep the Apron in your family. I just gotta believe that is what he would want you to do!

It sounds like we have almost enough Brothers here to form a "Cooking Lodge of Research"! I know of at least 3 others who have not chimed in ... one in Australia, one in England and another in the USA. The question is under which Juristriction do we file for it?? :LOL:

THE APRON: Like Uncle Bob said ... the apron a man receives when he becomes a Master Mason (3rd Degree) is made of lamb skin. If you look under the flap it will have the name and location of the Lodge, his name, and dates for Initiated, Passed and Raised (the dates he passed the three degrees). Generally, this apron is not used in a members funeral/burial ... the lodge will generally supply a cloth apron for that so that his "presentation lambskin" apron can be retained/preserved by his family. I have the aprons for my G-Grandpa, Grandpa, Dad, and me. They make display cases (unfortunately my catalog is still packed somewhere or I could point you to a good site for them) - like they have flag display cases. Unfortunately - G-Grandpa's and Grandpa's aprons were not stored properly, plus they are old, and will have to undergo some "restoration" work before I can put them into a display case.

THE SHRINE RING: As far as I understand it (and I just talked to the Secretary of my Lodge who is a Shriner) - yes, you can wear it on a chain around your neck. If you know what Shrine Temple your Dad was a member of you can give them a call and ask for a definitive answer - or call a local Shrine Temple in your city/state and ask them.

SECRET SOCIETY?: Well, if you know it exists because it's existance is not hidden and is more than just myth or hear-say or legend - it's not much of a secret, is it? Walk around town and look at buildings like courthouses, libraries, schools - you'll find a lot of cornerstones with Masonic emblems and other information on them. Do Masons have "secret" ways to identify each other as being a "real" member? Yes. So did the Knights of Pythias, my fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega) - I was engaged to a Tri-Delt once and she never revealed their secrets to me - and I'm sure the Knights of Columbus have a secret or two.

DEGREES: The Masonic Lodge (aka the Blue Lodge) has only 3 degrees. After the Blue Lodge you can go up to 32nd degree in an appendant body ... one of the Rites - York (Commandry) or Scottish (Supreme Council). 33rd Degree is a very special honor ... it is not earned like the other degrees - it is a very special honor bestowed by peers upon a person who has given some "above and beyond" contribution to the community or society. After the Rites - you can go into the Shrine ... but that doesn't make you any more of a Mason than if you don't.

Well said UB. All of the above post are pretty much on point. And if the Lady with her fathers ring was to as my help I would what ever I could for her as would all brothers

:)I have 2 8x10 black and white photos taken in the 50s or 60s I cant tell as there is no date one is my dad and a bunch of other guys the ones in the front row wore a fez the other picture they are dressed in their suits as well standing in three rows my dad was the first in the second row, each row they have a rope over their right shoulder linking them to the guys behind the row over their right shoulders as well.So I dont know if I had been born yet or not I was born in 1957

The fez is the signature hat of the Shriners. sounds like that pic is of a bunch of them.....

DEGREES: The Masonic Lodge (aka the Blue Lodge) has only 3 degrees. After the Blue Lodge you can go up to 32nd degree in an appendant body ... one of the Rites - York (Commandry) or Scottish (Supreme Council). 33rd Degree is a very special honor ... it is not earned like the other degrees - it is a very special honor bestowed by peers upon a person who has given some "above and beyond" contribution to the community or society. After the Rites - you can go into the Shrine ... but that doesn't make you any more of a Mason than if you don't.

I know that. Both my mom's brothers held the 33rd degree. My aunt's husbands were 32nd degree. My mom's best friend was active her whole adult life in both Eastern Star and "White Shrine." I never really understood the White Shrine.

Last edited:
THE APRON: Like Uncle Bob said ... the apron a man receives when he becomes a Master Mason (3rd Degree) is made of lamb skin. If you look under the flap it will have the name and location of the Lodge, his name, and dates for Initiated, Passed and Raised (the dates he passed the three degrees). Generally, this apron is not used in a members funeral/burial ... the lodge will generally supply a cloth apron for that so that his "presentation lambskin" apron can be retained/preserved by his family. I have the aprons for my G-Grandpa, Grandpa, Dad, and me. They make display cases (unfortunately my catalog is still packed somewhere or I could point you to a good site for them) - like they have flag display cases. Unfortunately - G-Grandpa's and Grandpa's aprons were not stored properly, plus they are old, and will have to undergo some "restoration" work before I can put them into a display case.

This is precisely what I have; New Castle (Indiana) Lodge, No. 91, Entered Mar 15, Passed Mar 29, Raised Apr 5, 1929, but no indication of raised to what? Under his well calligraphed name it says "at his initiation". This apron is in good condition. The white leather is supple and lovely and is backed with a linen fabric that is intact with a few age spots. Who made these aprons? Was/is there a standard pattern? On the front is a wedgewood blue grosgrain band 1 inch wide and between the band and the leather is an intricate satiny squigly cording. The tassels are the only part of this apron that shows any wear.

Well this settles it. I will be sending it to my sisters' son after I am through doing some documentation of it. Does anyone see a problem with me scanning this apron?

Miss Beth...he was "raised" to the degree of Master Mason
Several companys make/made Aprons. They are all basically the same.
There is no problem, that I can see, with you scanning the Apron.

The fez is the signature hat of the Shriners. sounds like that pic is of a bunch of them.....

I know that. Both my mom's brothers held the 33rd degree. My aunt's husbands were 32nd degree. My mom's best friend was active her whole adult life in both Eastern Star and "White Shrine." I never really understood the White Shrine.
:)There was a bunch of them in first pic I doubt my dad was a shriner yet as he was in the back rows with the rest of the guys.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: someone told me the Masons were equivalent to the Mafia hahahahah boy was i fibbed to or what :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:, strange this post popped up because we were talking about this last nite and i was going to google "Masons" today because i have no idea about it.

bethzaring said:
Was/is there a standard pattern?

Yes - the apron is basically square with a triangular flap at the top of the apron which generally will be 1/3 to slightly less than 1/2 the height of the apron.

As Uncle Bob noted - several companies have/do make these. While these are generally pure white lamb skin, some lodges in some states may present an apron trimed in blue when a man is raised to Master Mason. The aprons worn by Lodge officers, or (state) Grand Lodge Officers more especially, can be quite elaborate ...

It sounds like the apron you have is in excellent condition! I wish Grandma had taken that good of care of GG-pa's and G-pa's aprons. I see no problem with scanning it.

Gosh, it is amazing what you find on the Internet !
Spent some time yesterday looking up "stuff".
You can even find the "secrets" or at least that's what some sites claim.
It is very interesting.

:)It would be kinda hard to pass myself off as a Mason as Im a girl :LOL:.I understand the Masons started with the Knights Templar in England during the crusades.

Women are allowed to be masons now (so I hear). I just saw something on the history? channel. They interviewed a lot of different cultures, all masons, and it showed that women were allowed to join/participate now. :)

Women are allowed to be masons now (so I hear). I just saw something on the history? channel. They interviewed a lot of different cultures, all masons, and it showed that women were allowed to join/participate now. :)

Nope women can't join Masonry. It is a "fraternity" after all :)

What the program was probably talking about was some of the appendant bodies of masonry that are for women. Those are not free masons.

Nope women can't join Masonry. It is a "fraternity" after all :)

What the program was probably talking about was some of the appendant bodies of masonry that are for women. Those are not free masons.

Altho women cannot be Masons, my collegiate "sorority," and several other National Panhellenic organizations, are technically fraternities. They were founded by fraternities for women's membership.... :neutral:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom