"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Free Masons

I watched National Treasure for the third time.It deals with the Knights Templar.the Masons and actually the Shriners who are the highest order of this secret society. My father was a Shriner but when he died I could not get anyone to tell me what it was all about.I know quite a bit of the history of the Knights Templar as they began during the Crusades and they were Masons(actual stone builders) as well.Its a society that included George Washington,Thomas Jefferson and many other well known people and so on, the dollar bill has many of their symbols and Washington,DC is based on the Masons.I inherited a ring from my father who was a serious Mason all I know is he was from one of the Scottish Rites and he did not want my loser brother to have it but Im not allowed to wear his ring as Im not a Mason and a female.I was told some other things but never found out what I really need to know,

Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

And you won't find out without joining. My father is a Mason and my brother, sisters, mother and I were all involved in Eastern Star, Rainbow Girls, and Demolay (masonic groups for women, girls and young boys). They generally accomplish alot of philantropic services to thier communities. The specifics however will not be divulged by members. They even have a rule that they cannot invite anyone to join. They have to wait for you to approach them for membership. I know my family has made some life-long friendships through this group as well as continuing to serve our communities even though some of us have let our membership lapse in the press of full-time jobs and young children.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I remember my father and grandmother discussing me joining the Eastern Stars when I was about 11 it never happened.Im just so curious but just cant get any information from this tight lipped group.I did give my dad a real military 21 gun salute and a Masonic funeral but I was still clueless his funeral by the Shriners was in a strange language. I was also told by his friends that when you join the Military you will advance faster if you are a Mason and if you are in a situtation any where in the world you will be helped as there are Masons all over the world including the middle east etc.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I know the Shriners operate some of the best burn hospitals in the world for children.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Head Chef

I am a De Malay and a 3rd degree Mason. I would never divulge what transpires in my lodge room to any body for any reason.. How ever there are several books on the currant mkt. that will give you some in sites as to what we believe and practise. But not our secrets. But when you know the secrets of FreeMasonary you will find that they are really not secrets at all but just very good instruction on how to live your life in a righteous manner. Please do not embarrass your self by asking a Mason he will not tell you.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
I am a De Malay and a 3rd degree Mason. I would never divulge what transpires in my lodge room to any body for any reason.. How ever there are several books on the currant mkt. that will give you some in sites as to what we believe and practise. But not our secrets. But when you know the secrets of FreeMasonary you will find that they are really not secrets at all but just very good instruction on how to live your life in a righteous manner. Please do not embarrass your self by asking a Mason he will not tell you.
I would never do that as I know better than that ..But I would like to know what to do with my dads ring besides keep it in a drawer. Maby I should join if it was good enough for my dad its good enough for me he joined in the 1950s.All I know is that they are all over the world and will help each other no matter what country you are in with the rings and and secret questions or phrases.I know you should not ask certain questions but how do I know what questions not to ask?My dad wanted me to have his Shriners ring as he knew my brother would abuse it to his advantige.He has one that is plain gold band with a Camel and so on it he has abused it I know for sure.Something about how far have you traveled and so on he is a jerk in my eyes and has no respect for anything but what he can get out of something for nothing for his own selfish benefit.My dad did the right thing by giving me the ring he knew I would not abuse it that was over 11 years ago.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
But when you know the secrets of FreeMasonary you will find that they are really not secrets at all but just very good instruction on how to live your life in a righteous manner.
I am curious then...Why keep something like that a secret? Wouldn't it benefit everyone to publicize something like that to as many people as possible instead of keeping it hush hush?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I have my grandfathers' F. & A. M. apron and have no idea what I should be doing with it. It is dated 1929. Any advice of how to treat it?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
have my grandfathers' F. & A. M. apron and have no idea what I should be doing with it. It is dated 1929. Any advice of how to treat it?
Have it dry-cleaned, and bagged properly. Cherish it along with the memory of your Grandfather who was a good man!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks UB, I will do that.

This grandfather died 5 years before I was a tadpole. But my grandmother and mother certainly spoke very highly of him.