French restaurants acknowledge serving factory-frozen food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm of two minds on this. If they can produce really tasty meals that have been frozen and microwaved, then wow, can we learn something from this? But, as one chef put it, it makes for homogenized flavours. It will taste the same wherever you eat it. The art of cooking may become rare.

The one and only time I ate at an Italian chain restaurant. [Tuscan garden style] They served boil in a bag entrees.[Sous Vide] The food was fair, the wait was long, the service was lousy, and the prices were high. I also wish I had brought my own grated cheese because every time we asked for it the waitress would sprinkle a half of teaspoon on the plate before the entree was plated.Also vinegar and oil was the only salad dressing available and the waitress insisted she put it on. This might be there way of being family, but it sure isn't the family I was raised with. Other than that it was a fine dining experience.I have not experienced some of there sister restaurants, Red Lxxster, or Longhxxn steakhxxse, also an Asian one not located in my area. I hope they are somewhat better. Call me old fashioned but I like what I pay for and expect what I like. Love the TV ads showing chefs learning in Tuscany. Also believe Pierre Franey was Pepins partner in the HoJo system. mysterychef

Last edited:
I have heard the same complaints from a lot of folks about the Italian Chain restaurant. The closest one to Boston is a good 30 minutes away. And you can't find a Red Lxxster in Massachusetts at all. To many fine restaurants that serve sea food here. :angel:

I can totally see why a chain restaurant would do it. They are giant conglomerates that are only after one thing and that is PROFIT. Chefs are expensive, why hire a chef, when you can hire a part timer to heat things up, and have extremely consistent food across the entire chain. Also what real chef would want to work in a place where they had zero input in the menu, and had no outlet for their own style?

I know that it is a favorite past time for foodies to discuss how horrible Olive Garden is. Is is authentic Italian food? NO. But it is consistent, cheesy and might I even say tasty at times.

They are still very popular, so they can't be completely horrible. Bad service has never been an issue with me there, maybe I've been lucky. They are busy 7 days a week.

Now if you live in the northeast where there is a large Italian population, I can see how Olive Garden can't compare, heck if I had great options like that, I'd probably not go to Olive Garden. Thing is I don't have those great options and most of the US doesn't have those options. We're always up for trying family Italian places, but here they are expensive and very inconsistent. I would love to find a solid, great place around here.

Chain Eating Establishments

Thank you for perspective and some very solid ideas. I only wish we had a chain in our area that served Carolina style Barb-a-que. We used to have ''Smokey Bones'' and we thought they were quite good. They closed last year. With the few independent places left its usually hit or miss. A lot of places can't or wont grasp the idea of slow cooking. To much ''hurry up'' here. Meat comes out charred, dry, and tough. As ''Addie'' pointed out we do very well with our local seafood places in the northeast.On another topic of less expensive fair. We would like to see ''C.C.s'' come to the Northeast and give the ''P.Hut'' some competion. mysterychef

Last edited:
Thank you for perspective and some very solid ideas. I only wish we had a chain in our area that served Carolina style Barb-a-que. We used to have ''Smokey Bones'' and we thought they were quite good. They closed last year. With the few independent places left its usually hit or miss. A lot of places can't or wont grasp the idea of slow cooking. To much ''hurry up'' here. Meat comes out charred, dry, and tough. As ''Addie'' pointed out we do very well with our local seafood places in the northeast.On another topic of less expensive fair. We would like to see ''C.C.s'' come to the Northeast and give the ''P.Hut'' some competion. mysterychef

I grew up near Bangor Maine, and for a while we had a Red Lobster. I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea, because there were restaurants all over town serving better seafood for better prices!

CiCi's if that's what you are talking about is a pizza buffet and in my opinion (for what it's worth) isn't very good. It's a great place to take kids and it's very affordable, that's really their focus. The quality of the pizza is pretty poor, but again, it's a great casual place for kids. With that said, I haven't been there in a while, they could have improved! I remember not too long ago that their buffet price was $3.99!

I have heard the same complaints from a lot of folks about the Italian Chain restaurant. The closest one to Boston is a good 30 minutes away. And you can't find a Red Lxxster in Massachusetts at all. To many fine restaurants that serve sea food here. :angel:

Addie

There's an Olive Garden 10 minutes down 93 from you right here in Dorchester.

But don't go there. It's gross.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't any Red Lobsters around here -- because of their endless shrimp deals, not the lobster.

BTW, saw lobster for $2.99 a pound yesterday.

Last edited:

MC, there is one place on Route One in Saugus. The owner comes from Texas and he knows how to do proper BBQ. He used to be located here in Eastie, but his business got so big, he had to move and built a great place not too far away. He makes a brisket to absolutely die for. Can't think of the name right now. (Senior moment) :angel:

Addie

There's an Olive Garden 10 minutes down 93 from you right here in Dorchester.

But don't go there. It's gross.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't any Red Lobsters around here -- because of their endless shrimp deals, not the lobster.

BTW, saw lobster for $2.99 a pound yesterday.

Wow, that is the lowest I have ever heard. The only problem is they are summer lobsters and the shells are soft and full of water. This is their molten season.

bakechef says there is a Red Lobster in Maine. Are they crazy? In Maine? What idiot was out scouting for a place to open a new Red Lobster? I might consider going to one if it was located in the middle of a wheat field in South Dakota if I was really hungry. But in Maine? I am sitting here in absolute shock over that one.

A lot of folks don't know that Maine has a very viable shrimp industry. They think of shrimp being a southern business. Because of the waters being a lot colder they have hearty shells and grow really big. :angel:

MC, there is one place on Route One in Saugus. The owner comes from Texas and he knows how to do proper BBQ. He used to be located here in Eastie, but his business got so big, he had to move and built a great place not too far away. He makes a brisket to absolutely die for. Can't think of the name right now. (Senior moment) :angel:

There's a big difference between Carolina barbecue and Texas barbecue. For starters, Carolina barbecue is made with pork shoulder.

There is an Olive Garden right next to a Smokey Bones near the BJ's in Randolph.

The Olive Garden in Dorchester is right next to an Applebee's making it a vortex of bad food.

We are 'blessed' with an OG, Applebys and Carabbas within 10 minutes. I don't know what I did to deserve this.

There's a big difference between Carolina barbecue and Texas barbecue. For starters, Carolina barbecue is made with pork shoulder.

This guy does both. Beef and pork. It is one of those places where you get a heap of food and ribs on your plate. And for the takeout, you can just barely close the lid. :angel:

There is an Olive Garden right next to a Smokey Bones near the BJ's in Randolph.

The Olive Garden in Dorchester is right next to an Applebee's making it a vortex of bad food.

If you all will excuse me, I will put on my shoes and rush over there. The two times I have eaten at an Applebee the food was still frozen in the middle. :angel:

Wow, that is the lowest I have ever heard. The only problem is they are summer lobsters and the shells are soft and full of water. This is their molten season.

bakechef says there is a Red Lobster in Maine. Are they crazy? In Maine? What idiot was out scouting for a place to open a new Red Lobster? I might consider going to one if it was located in the middle of a wheat field in South Dakota if I was really hungry. But in Maine? I am sitting here in absolute shock over that one.

A lot of folks don't know that Maine has a very viable shrimp industry. They think of shrimp being a southern business. Because of the waters being a lot colder they have hearty shells and grow really big. :angel:

The red lobster lasted 5-10 years or so, maybe a little more, only because it was in the same complex as a hotel and I imagine that most of their business came from that. The building now houses a Ninety Nine.

Yeah I think chains have realized that a seafood restaurant is a terrible idea in Maine, there are better places just about everywhere with larger portions and better prices.

Last edited:
This guy does both. Beef and pork. It is one of those places where you get a heap of food and ribs on your plate. And for the takeout, you can just barely close the lid. :angel:

Carolina BBQ is s whole different beast. Pork shoulder is smoked and chopped and finished with a vinegar based sauce (mustard in SC). No tomato based sauce here. If you order a BBQ sandwich here, it will automatically be topped with coleslaw, something I also don't care for. I grew up with coleslaw as a side dish, but in the south it's a condiment for BBQ hot dogs, burgers etc..

I live in NC, and have access to NC BBQ, but I much prefer Texas or Memphis style.

Not to change the subject or anything, but I think it's sad French restaurants are doing this since France has long been synonymous with great food.

Of course, I feel it's sad that its happened here as well. While we patronize local restaurants, that's no guarantee the food isn't purchased in prepared and frozen form.

Back
Top Bottom