"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

French restaurants acknowledge serving factory-frozen food

French restaurants acknowledge serving factory-frozen food - The Washington Post

I'm shocked

Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

Jacques Pepin invented that system when he worked at Howard Johnson.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I would never have known that
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm of two minds on this. If they can produce really tasty meals that have been frozen and microwaved, then wow, can we learn something from this? But, as one chef put it, it makes for homogenized flavours. It will taste the same wherever you eat it. The art of cooking may become rare.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Senior Cook

The one and only time I ate at an Italian chain restaurant. [Tuscan garden style] They served boil in a bag entrees.[Sous Vide] The food was fair, the wait was long, the service was lousy, and the prices were high. I also wish I had brought my own grated cheese because every time we asked for it the waitress would sprinkle a half of teaspoon on the plate before the entree was plated.Also vinegar and oil was the only salad dressing available and the waitress insisted she put it on. This might be there way of being family, but it sure isn't the family I was raised with. Other than that it was a fine dining experience.I have not experienced some of there sister restaurants, Red Lxxster, or Longhxxn steakhxxse, also an Asian one not located in my area. I hope they are somewhat better. Call me old fashioned but I like what I pay for and expect what I like. Love the TV ads showing chefs learning in Tuscany. Also believe Pierre Franey was Pepins partner in the HoJo system. mysterychef
Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I have heard the same complaints from a lot of folks about the Italian Chain restaurant. The closest one to Boston is a good 30 minutes away. And you can't find a Red Lxxster in Massachusetts at all. To many fine restaurants that serve sea food here.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I can totally see why a chain restaurant would do it. They are giant conglomerates that are only after one thing and that is PROFIT. Chefs are expensive, why hire a chef, when you can hire a part timer to heat things up, and have extremely consistent food across the entire chain. Also what real chef would want to work in a place where they had zero input in the menu, and had no outlet for their own style?

I know that it is a favorite past time for foodies to discuss how horrible Olive Garden is. Is is authentic Italian food? NO. But it is consistent, cheesy and might I even say tasty at times.

They are still very popular, so they can't be completely horrible. Bad service has never been an issue with me there, maybe I've been lucky. They are busy 7 days a week.

Now if you live in the northeast where there is a large Italian population, I can see how Olive Garden can't compare, heck if I had great options like that, I'd probably not go to Olive Garden. Thing is I don't have those great options and most of the US doesn't have those options. We're always up for trying family Italian places, but here they are expensive and very inconsistent. I would love to find a solid, great place around here.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Chain Eating Establishments

Thank you for perspective and some very solid ideas. I only wish we had a chain in our area that served Carolina style Barb-a-que. We used to have ''Smokey Bones'' and we thought they were quite good. They closed last year. With the few independent places left its usually hit or miss. A lot of places can't or wont grasp the idea of slow cooking. To much ''hurry up'' here. Meat comes out charred, dry, and tough. As ''Addie'' pointed out we do very well with our local seafood places in the northeast.On another topic of less expensive fair. We would like to see ''C.C.s'' come to the Northeast and give the ''P.Hut'' some competion. mysterychef
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
Thank you for perspective and some very solid ideas. I only wish we had a chain in our area that served Carolina style Barb-a-que. We used to have ''Smokey Bones'' and we thought they were quite good. They closed last year. With the few independent places left its usually hit or miss. A lot of places can't or wont grasp the idea of slow cooking. To much ''hurry up'' here. Meat comes out charred, dry, and tough. As ''Addie'' pointed out we do very well with our local seafood places in the northeast.On another topic of less expensive fair. We would like to see ''C.C.s'' come to the Northeast and give the ''P.Hut'' some competion. mysterychef
I grew up near Bangor Maine, and for a while we had a Red Lobster. I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea, because there were restaurants all over town serving better seafood for better prices!

CiCi's if that's what you are talking about is a pizza buffet and in my opinion (for what it's worth) isn't very good. It's a great place to take kids and it's very affordable, that's really their focus. The quality of the pizza is pretty poor, but again, it's a great casual place for kids. With that said, I haven't been there in a while, they could have improved! I remember not too long ago that their buffet price was $3.99!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have heard the same complaints from a lot of folks about the Italian Chain restaurant. The closest one to Boston is a good 30 minutes away. And you can't find a Red Lxxster in Massachusetts at all. To many fine restaurants that serve sea food here.

Addie

There's an Olive Garden 10 minutes down 93 from you right here in Dorchester.

But don't go there. It's gross.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't any Red Lobsters around here -- because of their endless shrimp deals, not the lobster.

BTW, saw lobster for $2.99 a pound yesterday.

Tags
food