"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Do you guys have any trouble with your kitties scratching the lounge or damaging the inside of the house in anyway?

We have always wanted a kitten but have been worried that it would scratch the carpet up or our new leather lounge
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,739
we have had many cats over the years, and not one has ever damaged any furniture by clawing it.

we've always made sure to have one or two large sisal scratching posts available on each floor of our house, but the secret was dw's excellent feline behaviour training.

any time she saw one of our cats go near a piece of furniture about to claw it, she would come running and screeching at the top of her lungs for them to stop. often, it was loud and piercing enough to be heard in 3 states. she then showed them what to do by scratching on the sisal posts instead of any furniture.

after that, no cat, nor human, nor any creature living or dead would ever risk having to hear that sound again, so our furniture has always been safe.

not so much my ear drums, though.
__________________

__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Tom, that had me in fits of laughter

I had to read it out to Steve too, as it was too funny to keep to myself

It sure does sound like the screeching did the trick
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
we have had many cats over the years, and not one has ever damaged any furniture by clawing it.

we've always made sure to have one or two large sisal scratching posts available on each floor of our house, but the secret was dw's excellent feline behaviour training.

any time she saw one of our cats go near a piece of furniture about to claw it, she would come running and screeching at the top of her lungs for them to stop. often, it was loud and piercing enough to be heard in 3 states. she then showed them what to do by scratching on the sisal posts instead of any furniture.

after that, no cat, nor human, nor any creature living or dead would ever risk having to hear that sound again, so our furniture has always been safe.

not so much my ear drums, though.
I'll have to remember that method when I get another cat.

My furniture looks like sh** because of cats. I have been told that they don't scratch velvet. It doesn't feel nice under their claws and I can imagine that. I am part cat and I can just imagine how wonderful it would feel to sink claws into leather...
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #55
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'll have to remember that method when I get another cat.

My furniture looks like sh** because of cats. I have been told that they don't scratch velvet. It doesn't feel nice under their claws and I can imagine that. I am part cat and I can just imagine how wonderful it would feel to sink claws into leather...
They don't claw the microsuede...unfortunately they love my couch, but they ignore Shrek's chair that is microsuede.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
They don't claw the microsuede...unfortunately they love my couch, but they ignore Shrek's chair that is microsuede.
You know, microsuede doesn't feel right for sinking claws. I must do some experiments.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.