"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Thank the good Lord you are all ok.

wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
So glad you and your home are safe, that is too scary for words, I hate those warnings!

Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Senior Cook
That is very scary - I live in CA, so never experienced a tornado, just earthquakes.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #14
Head Chef
Two years ago we saw them forming and drove like crazy to get home.

One hit as we got out of the car.

Could barely move but got inside.

Were heading to the cellar when everything went quiet. Three minutes after we got into the house, opened the door.

We live on a hill and our frontage had 40 trees 40 to 80 feet just down. Some within two feet of our house.

The TV dish on the roof was jiggled out of place a bit. That was the only damage to the house.

In the neighborhood one house would have one corner of a house just sheared off and the rest left undisturbed. It was amazing.

I think most people don't think about tornados because their damage is generally so limited, only less than a one mile irregular narrow swarth was destroyed.

On the other hand, hurricanes and earthquakes involve large areas in their devastation. And many people feel, and share, their effects.

Am just glad you and your students are fine.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Your story was mentioned in our news tonight also. Hope everyone is safe.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #16
Master Chef
OMG, crewsk! How scary! Is that the school TC and Savannah are in, too? Thank heavens you're all OK. I hope to never experience a tornado. One hit about 15 miles from here 2 years ago, demolishing an entire neighborhood. It's pretty rare in this area.
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
Senior Cook
glad to know you and the students were all ok. Does South Carolina normally get tornados? This is such wierd weather this winter. We are in southern Michigan and our temp was in the 50's today.
stargazer021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I am so relieved! I just saw the news and they showed your school on our news. I knew you subbed but I didn't know if that was your school. I came here right away to make sure you and your family were ok.

Stargazer, South Carolina has a lot more tornados than people think, especially I think in the general area where crewsk lives. Years before I moved to South Carolina there was a bad one in the area I first lived here. A friend of mine lost her sister in that one. It killed a lot of people and destroyed a lot of buildings, including a K-Mart store.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Hey. You told me graduated in 1995.
JUUUUUST kidding my good friend. We (and you) are blessed you are safe and unhurt.
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #20
Sous Chef
Ohhh, you poor thing! I've only ever experienced the warning period prior to, and I remember vividly how the wind kicked up, the sky turned some awful bizzare green-ish color, and the sirens went off all over the city. We were all in a park for some sort of musical event and we just ran like crazy people.

The documentaries on tornadoes scare the dickens out of me. Happy I don't live where there are tornadoes (not that the earthquakes are exactly fun!)

XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote