"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
Master Chef

you wanna another expat story????? I am going to have to write a book.............when I was teaching elementary science one of the kids brought in a rather large frog......maybe not a bullfron but no lightweight either........then another student brought in a friend to keep him company..........the next morning to my horror there is only "Brutus" in the aquarium..........how did Houdini escape........lid is on, etc, etc.......then I look more closely ...........Brutus is bulging in the gut.........yep.....sorry for the gruesome details but little guy was being slowly cannibalized and giving nutritional appeasement..........I have never been so shocked in my life..........could I tell the kids????? Nope, for me it had to be a coverup------my brain couldn't have wrapped around it any other way.........too many sensitive souls out there........well, that was the smartest frog ever..........guys.......pushed that lid up and hopped to one of the nearest ponds.......and they bought it and my conscience was clear........did ask the owner to please take his Donner party home, however........as I knew other kids would want to be offering friends to ease his bereavement.........

Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Master Chef

If I forgot to emphsize........Brutus had tons of insects to choose from........I taught 5 different classes a day and these were loving kids who made sure that this amphibian didn't starve but but no one even suspected that he was Hannibal Lechter..........esp his acquarium mate.........

Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Good stories....classic science/life lessons there, expatgirl! I have had about four frogs piggyback their way to my house via plants (xmas tree too!) I have brought home from the nursery that I frequent...sad thing is it's pretty arid where I live so they don't hang out for very long.... except a few days ago I found a wee one living in this urn/fountain that I put in the yard - hope he makes it! I like hearing them...
Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Master Chef

me, too, pot clanger......I love frogs.........and well dragonflies too boot....always been a nature lover..........