From The Loft Laptop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erinny

Senior Cook
Hello, my friends. I felt so crummy about skipping out on my new friends here that it actually caused me to lose a little sleep in addition to losing sleep over my friend and her daughter so I decided to sneak a few minutes to spend some time with you. That and also there was such a nice support here I felt that you deserved to know what is going on and also many of you are parents and may be able to help me deal with a child that I do like very much but she's not mine.
They're here! They arrived around 10:30 this morning. I will call my friend J and her daughter K. K shot out of the car like a missile all wild-eyed and looking around and saying "Oh my God! Oh my God!" and I thought oh no, she hates it already. Then she ran to me and gave me a rib-fracturing lung-collapsing hug and said "Oh my God it's so pretty up here! Oh my God I can see the town!" and on and on.
Boy oh boy I didn't expect that. And so we're off to a positive start. They brought few belongings as they knew I didn't have much extra room here and so they were very considerate of that. J said they had something to do and she and K walked to the other side of the road which is a sheer dropoff of about 40 feet or so and they joined hands. I thought oh no they're going to jump! That scared me. I went over to them just as they were pulling out their cell phones and just when I got to them, they had hurled them over the edge, lost forever! Then they said "Goodbye old life." together and hugged. I was really amazed! What a start this is! I am quite encouraged.
K is fascinated with this old place. She and J are exploring as I write this. I'm now Auntie Erin to K and she really is a neat kid. She's into everything, my sewing stuff and my knitting and crocheting basket, my cookbooks, the shed, she dragged in a bunch of books, the cupboards, the china cabinet, every single thing here and she's still exploring.
I was interrupted for a moment as I type here, she yelled up at me and informed me the dog food bowl was almost empty and where's the dog food. I told her where and she fed Cleo. She checked the cats food and reported to me that the cats and dog had plenty of food and the automatic waterer was half full. I thanked her for doing that and she said she would be doing that as part of her chores from now on. I agreed and thanked her again. She blew me off with a "no problem" and asked if she could help with anything. I said yes, check the wood box (I knew it was down) and if it needs filling please bring in some wood from the porch. She is now filling it up.
I had to ask J how she was planning to keep in touch with people and she said she'd get a cellphone to use in emergencies and K said she didn't need any "old stupid phone" because it "gets me in trouble."
I have to say right now I am quite impressed with K. I know J is a good person and maybe I underestimated her as a mother because of her alcoholism. I know this might change after the new wears off but at the very least we're off to a good start. I had to come up here to the loft to pay a couple bills and check my bank balance and balance my checkbook and I can see where they are and what they are doing for the most part except of course directly under the loft. But that's the kitchen and bathroom area so I'm not too worried. I can see the desk where my desktop computer is so I can see K or J are doing.
I have chicken soup cooking and K runs in there to stir it from time to time. J is right now just sitting happily in the rocker watching her daughter and answering her questions and working on her crosstitch. J has quite a project going as part of her therapy she's making a crosstitch thing to frame and hang up that says PEACE REIGNS HERE with a peace sign. I have asked her to teach me how to do that and she said she would.
I'm content to be up here and let them have the run of the place now and then, I just figured out. K knows the loft is off limits and my laptop is password protected and so I think I'm able to slip away up here and visit with you folks.
Oh this post is too long and I must get down there now, I guess. More later because we have all agreed on "away time" where if we need privacy we do just that if J and K need privacy I'll leave and go visit someone or run errands and if I need privacy I'll come up here.
Anyway we're off and running. I'll be back later.

Sounds like your off to a fantastic start Erinny! That has got to be very encouraging for you! Best of luck, and thanks for filling us in!

Congratulations, Erin. You are embarking on an adventure that only you and your charges can plot the course of...

You'll no doubt have your challenges and setbacks, but you are strong and have a positive attitude. As I've told you before, hang in there. When things become confusing or you don't know what to do, just lean on your DC family for support and advice.

Be well.

I'm glad you are doing well Erin. Please remember that taking time for yourself is crucial in a situation like this. Remember too that the first couple of weeks may be a bit of a honeymoon for all of you. Just establish your rapport with them now so later if you need to be firm with your rules you have the basis of a good solid rapport to back you up.

You are doing a truly unselfish and wonderful thing. Atta girl.

Thanks for filling us in. What an adventure! Please check in with us often so that we know you are okay. :cool:

:)Barbara

Thanks for the update. Very positive beginning, and it sounds like J and K have the right attitude. Good luck to all of you, and please stay in touch - we'll be thinking of you.

Back
Top Bottom