"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It got down to 10 degrees F last night, and our pipes froze for the first time in a year or two. Than I did something really stupid. I turned the bathroom faucet on very low, just in case it did come back on (not sure why, but I did). I forgot one very important thing though. That faucet turns itself up. We can turn it on low, and suddenly it will turn on full force if we don't adjust it as it starts to turn up. I woke up and all was quiet, then I fell asleep again. About 10 minutes later, I was sound asleep, and James said, "Can you go turn that water off?" I hurried into the bathroom. Water had filled the sink and was overflowing all over the counter and floor. Thankfully I caught it before it got to the bedroom carpet.

Barbara

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
It got down to 10 degrees F last night, and our pipes froze for the first time in a year or two. Than I did something really stupid. I turned the bathroom faucet on very low, just in case it did come back on (not sure why, but I did). I forgot one very important thing though. That faucet turns itself up. We can turn it on low, and suddenly it will turn on full force if we don't adjust it as it starts to turn up. I woke up and all was quiet, then I fell asleep again. About 10 minutes later, I was sound asleep, and James said, "Can you go turn that water off?" I hurried into the bathroom. Water had filled the sink and was overflowing all over the counter and floor. Thankfully I caught it before it got to the bedroom carpet.

Barbara
Yikes!!! That was almost a real disaster. Glad you managed to dodge that one.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post

Barbara
Barbara I am glad that you did not end up with disaster like me but there is nothing I can do but accept the inevitable and deal with it and that is what I am doing. Worse things can happen in life. I only wish that a broken pipe were the worst of my problems. I would give anything for my mom not to be declining. Watching her brain die before her body is a problem. A burst pipe is an expensive inconvenience. One has to have a bit of perspective and one has to try to listen to that still small voice that tells you things. It is that still small voice that help you avoid the real problems in life.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #24
Sous Chef

As many of you probably know, I work at as a nurses aid at a nursing home.. About a month ago, a friend and I were eating lunch in the break room when the fire alarm went off. We ran down to the nurses station in time to hear "False Alarm".. About 5 min. later, they go off again.. This time (much slower) we went back to the nurses station, to find people screaming and running every which way.. All the sprinklers were going off down one of the halls! We went running down the hall, when a huge chunk of the ceiling came crashing down RIGHT beside me! At this point, the water was up to my ankels, and everyone was covered in insolation (sp?) We finally got all the residents away from danger, when the entire ceiling in two rooms crashed down, and in the entertainment room...

It's absolutely amazing that nobody got hurt.. They've been leaving everyones faucets running ever since..