"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Head Chef
Frozen or Burst Pipes

Anyone else have problems with their pipes due to this cold snap? This morning I started a load of laundry and when it got to the rinse cycle, the water didn't go down the drain pipe, the water squirted out and went everywhere. All over my laundry room floor, pantry, kitchen and water leaked into the basement. Luckily, I was able to get the water turned off real quick. We think the drain pipe is frozen, so we've got a heater on in the laundry room.

I've spend a good chunk of this morning cleaning up water - not how I wanted to spend my day off.

A co-worker of my husband had his pipes bust last night - I think it got to -6 overnight here but it never occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't be doing laundry. Our laundry room is on an outside wall. Now I know to be more cautious.

Cold weather sucks.

Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
So far, no problems with water pipes. However, I've been leaving water run a small drip/stream to keep it flowing.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
We've been OK so far. It helps if you leave the cabinet doors open under the kitchen and bathroom sinks so the pipes that serve those sinks are kept a little warmer.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I'm sorry for all your trouble on your day off ... bummer! We were 20 below this morning and a coworker had a pipe split in half -- she said water was shooting out. I feel terrible for her, as they were just finishing off their basement and now have to pull the drywall.

I hope your problem is short lived!
AMSeccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Oh this is awful! I have only had it happen once and it was an outside pipe so no mess to clean up. I don't envy you, Toots! I hope the pipe was frozen and not burst. Paying the plumber can give you a heart attack!
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Head Chef
I think I've got my pipe defrosted in the laundry room finally. I've done two loads so far today and everything is draining properly. Never in my life have I been so glad to **just** be able to do laundry.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
Senior Cook
We haven't had any problems here so far. I've got my mom's condo for sale and I keep going over to check the water pressure. I've had the furnace turned real low and so scared about the pipes bursting. So far so good. I also turned up the furnace.
PieSusan was saying she was having problems with her pipes. Her water wasn't running out of the faucets. I hope she gets things fixed.
Glad things are working out for you Toots. It's just a pain to have to clean up.

homecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Head Chef
I'm glad it's resolved Toots!

When we finished our basement several years ago, we hung dry wall with the water lines running behind the new wall. It's a west facing exposure so the first real cold snap (I think it was 7 or 8 below with a 25 below wind chill), they froze solid. My husband cut chunks out of the drywall, pulled the insulation and we spent the day with the hair dryer - not fun but we didn't have any bursting either!
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Master Chef
I am sorry that you had to deal with that. I understand how you feel. In December, we had a cold snap and it was -12 overnight and the shower pipes froze. Those pipes are on an outside wall and north facing. I had to spend 5 hrs. thawing them out. I am glad that they did not break.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Head Chef
I had left water dripping but now my kitchen sink will not flow. I have a call into a plumber. I hope that it doesn't become serious.

PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote