Frugalists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gross to me, i say if that floats 'er boat & she isn't getting sick, ick, 'cept what can we really say.

I am really shocked that this is a conscience effort on their part. I mean really...I guess the five second rule is out the window on this.

Frugal is good, and I sometimes wish more cities and towns would enforce recycling before allowing people to just dump stuff into the trash especially clothing and furniture and appliances.
But yea, 99% of her food? She would starve in my neighborhood! But it is scary that where she is at she can get so much from the dumpsters! This much waste I think maybe sometimes we deserve these high prices...
Dumpster Diving has been a part of our vocabulary for a long time, many a good piece of furniture has been had from the dumpsters (well technically in the alleys), not to mention perfectly good TV's, stereos, odd kitchen appliances. Around here we have 'junk men' that go around the alleys collecting anything of value for recycling, and a lot of the Hispanic women will collect whatever they can find in decent shape to use in their weekly garage sales. I guess you could say in the end quite a bit around here gets recycled. Plus Waste Management, the ones handling our garbage, further sort everything at their facility to separate out anything that can be recycled thus reducing the amounts going into the land fill.
We just have to remember there is no one solution for all this waste, it takes all these different ways to make a difference...

I am really shocked that this is a conscience effort on their part. I mean really...I guess the five second rule is out the window on this.

We were very poor growing up, so for us it was a 10 second rule :LOL:!

Seriously, I remember times where dad would go out back of the supermarket and sift thru their stuff there looking for food that was past experation but still edible.
Sometimes you do what you have to, sometimes I think it is more about compulsion than necessity.

This woman is definitely walking a thin line here... but she seems to be doing "it" well, and while I do have the utmost admiration for those who can "make do" or literally make something out of nothing, (necessity being the mother of invention and all that) I honestly don't think I could bring myself to eat food that I foraged out of a dumpster... much less leftovers (from my fridge!) that are three days old...

NO COULD DO, thank you very much.

I did see a Dateline, or one of those shows, showing a bunch of college kids hitting S.Walmart and restaurants, getting tons of what looked like perfectly good food, except for the expiration. If they thought it was questionable - they left it.

Then yesterday, I was doing some food shopping in our local Winn-Dixie and thought I found a steal. The meat dept. had Perdue, individually wrapped chicken cutlets, 28.8 oz, normally priced $9.99, with a $4.00 off sticker
smacked across the package. Well, lucky me!
I get to the register, guess what, they are past their expiration by 1 day. So to the cashier's returns they went. I just don't want to play around with chicken.
So I tell the cashier, that ain't right. (illegal?)
And that was that.

amazing! don't think i could go as far as this lady. however we all need to think of ways we can reuse, redo, fix etc.

i am a big fan of do it yourself. it saves me much money and especially for the decor of my house.

thin line between saving stuff to reuse and hoarding,though.

when my kids were young and money tight, the day old bread store was the place to go. everything from bread to cupcakes . things we wouldn't have had if reg. price.

same as milk, a neighbor and i would get discount for milk just at expire date and freeze it. you do what u have to do.

we for the most part all waste a lot of food. i am sometimes sad at how much i waste as just one person.

i only have three pieces of furniture in entire house that i got brand new.
a little paint and elbow grease can do wonders.

even when buying fabric for a do it yourself project , i try for the discount. some of this is to save and some is just the thrill of the hunt.

babe:ROFLMAO:

amazing! don't think i could go as far as this lady. however we all need to think of ways we can reuse, redo, fix etc.

i am a big fan of do it yourself. it saves me much money and especially for the decor of my house.

thin line between saving stuff to reuse and hoarding,though.

when my kids were young and money tight, the day old bread store was the place to go. everything from bread to cupcakes . things we wouldn't have had if reg. price.

same as milk, a neighbor and i would get discount for milk just at expire date and freeze it. you do what u have to do.

we for the most part all waste a lot of food. i am sometimes sad at how much i waste as just one person.

i only have three pieces of furniture in entire house that i got brand new.
a little paint and elbow grease can do wonders.

even when buying fabric for a do it yourself project , i try for the discount. some of this is to save and some is just the thrill of the hunt.

babe:ROFLMAO:

I bought me microwave cart brand new, and the kids bunk beds were a gift from my parents that they bought new for $115. Other than that, everything in our house is used furniture wise. Our bedroom set was from an estate sale; the dinning room table, chairs, and china cabinet from another estate sale; and the living room furniture from Coopers Used Hotel Furniture. We even got our mattress and box spring from there, but new not used.
Even with a family of five it takes a full week to fill up the garbage can, which holds about 5 tall kitchen bags. Since Waste Management breaks open all the bags and sorts for recycling, we don't have separate recycling bins. We do save all metal and take that to recycling ourself as we get money for it, but that is it. So 5 tall kitchen bags a week accounts for all waste including paper, cardboard, glass, and plastic. I would guess that after they sort it out, only about one bag worth makes it to the land fill.
Oh, and a lot of our organic waste goes into the compost bin and garden as well, including coffee grounds.
We are very careful about wasting food and hardly any is ever wasted here, not because we are that good, but just because we can't afford to waste anything!

Back
Top Bottom