"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Sous Chef

This is the trap method I've used, and it worked great. Always had tons of the little buggers in there. I was loving in downtown LA at the time, and they came in from outside because we didn't have screens on our windows. The nearby restaurants all had fruit fly breeding dumpsters so we just kept the traps around all the time.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
Head Chef

I have this problem in the summertime, in Kingston ON, the little buggers get in through my window screens and I can't open the windows when I cook :( We have white cupboards and they are attracted to them for some reason, so they are easy to spot and kill if you are fast enough with the paper towel. I find the trap method does work but it doesn't get em all for me. Killing them works the best for me, and not leaving anything out (even dirty dishes) at any time.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Poison Dart/Arrow Frogs. Goodbye fruit flies! Just make sure the humidity stays around 100% and the temp above 80F.

Craig
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Poison Dart/Arrow Frogs. Goodbye fruit flies! Just make sure the humidity stays around 100% and the temp above 80F.

Craig
Geckos work, too...at least they did on Guam.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Head Chef

If you trap them in a jar, you can put the jar in the freezer for a couple of hours. No worries about them finding their way back to your kitchen from the big icebox in the sky.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
If you trap them in a jar, you can put the jar in the freezer for a couple of hours. No worries about them finding their way back to your kitchen from the big icebox in the sky.
Does that actually kill fruit flies? There are so many insects that can hibernate. I was wondering this last year, since my problem ran right into winter. I was wondering if setting the jar outside would kill them or just put them to sleep. I decided to let my traps fill for several days so I wouldn't have to rebuild them, then I dumped the flies out into the weather.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Does that actually kill fruit flies? There are so many insects that can hibernate. I was wondering this last year, since my problem ran right into winter. I was wondering if setting the jar outside would kill them or just put them to sleep. I decided to let my traps fill for several days so I wouldn't have to rebuild them, then I dumped the flies out into the weather.
Good question. I've seen a trick done with flies, where you freeze them and they look dead. If you place them in the palm of your hand, the heat brings them back to life.

I would just use the sticky tape traps. They have worked well for me in the past.

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My semi-annual ant infestation is on the verge of beginning. I'm in a basement apartment and they come through the walls around the baseboard heaters. Any Ideas?

Sorry for hijacking the thread! But, since we are already discussing bugs...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My semi-annual ant infestation is on the verge of beginning. I'm in a basement apartment and they come through the walls around the baseboard heaters. Any Ideas?

Sorry for hijacking the thread! But, since we are already discussing bugs...
I used to have an ant problem where I used to live and the product Terro cleared it right up. You squeeze a little bit on a small piece of cardboard (quarter size) and toss it under the fridge, behind the stove, back of the pantry... wherever they might be sneaking around and pets and kids can't find it. They carry the poison back to their nest. BTW, these were the tiny brown ants, sugar or sweet ants I think they are called. I don't know if it would work for carpenter ants.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Vacuum them up into a vacuum cleaner bag containing 1/4 cup of paradichlorobenzene?

Tags
fruit