"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Fuel Tips.

Tips on Filling your Vehicles...
This is a Message received from a friend:
I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre.
Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in Durban, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.

ONLY BUY OR FILL UP YOUR CAR OR BIKKIE IN THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS STILL COLD. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.
In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A 1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE.

If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! LET'S SHARE INFORMATION AND BENEFIT ALL, FOR THE BETTER OF MANKIND.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Snope article on this email.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Wow. thanks for the info and tips YT2095.
Some interesting tip.
I knew not to fill up if the station was receiving delivery, but now that I read your advise, it just makes sense about using "low speed" when pumping.

Keep up the good work over there.
Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Head Chef

Getting up in the wee hours in the morning just for a .05 cent difference... I'll take the hit and fill up when I need to.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Sounded like Snopes fodder. Good find as well, GB.

I've been motorcycling most of the last week. It's a naked bike, so transporting all my stuff to and from work and the store is a bit of a challenge, but 30mpg and still being able to drive like a moron is incentive enough to make do.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I love snopes!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Here is a quiz that says that all the above tips are false.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

This is the third time I have seen that email, that friend sure gets around...
Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sad to say, but in our area and for our budget, the "fuel tips" are don't go where you don't have to.

That's kind of challenging for Buck and me since all shopping/entertainment is 30 miles away...one way. In other words, we don't get out much.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the link, YT. I remember seeing that a while back when the prices were starting to climb a couple years ago.
Snopes or not, the part I don't understand is the liter density thing..... no matter the density=weight, a liter is still a liter isn't it, since a liter is volume and not weight?

If you fill up in the morning your vehicle will weigh more, thereby reducing fuel economy anyway.....