"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Does the Full Moon affect behaviour?
Yes, I believe the full moon affects human behaviour 38 74.51%
Nope, I don't think it has any affect at all 9 17.65%
I am not sure. 4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #21
Head Chef

Nope! I think seasons have more to do with human behavior than lunar cycles.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #22
Master Chef

i'm with that seasons deal. fall, i'm sad. summer, i wait for summer's end. winter, i flop into our 1st snow & whoop due to happiness, spring's kinda alright. i'm counting days till i see snow. i'm sorta avoiding fall by wearing my pink wool Victoria's coat often. i'm skipping my early class (it's hrs.) our 1st snow and going to my Parent's to do snow-angels. sigh, winter.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I vote nope! Lunar effects have nothing to do with human behavior. Although Carlos swears his patients at the mental health hospital used to have an unusual effect.

Also, the discovery of a slight effect of the moon on global temperature might have an effect on the growth of plants.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
As a teacher - YES, especially hormonal teenagers! But seriously, I do think it does ...
It even affects kids in elementary school...I was at the school & they were WILD!! After the full moon was gone, they were pretty much back to normal.

I have an aunt who is nurse & worked in the ER for many, many years & she says she can always tell it's a full moon without even going outside because of all the crazy people & injuries they have come in.

Anyway, I say yes.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #25
Head Chef

I vote yes. I think some people can be more sensitive to it than others though. I notice, maybe because of the extra light, that I have trouble sleeping. This could also effect peoples behavior as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #26
Everymom

Cool thoughts folks! I figure if the lunar cycle affects women, then there is no reason it can't affect behaviour as well. I have seen some pretty wacky stuff at the full moon, people who are normally mild mannered getting a bit nutty. I'm not saying that other things don't affect behaviour as well, but I think something about the full moon lowers inhibitions. Keep those thoughts coming this is cool to read.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs
i'm with that seasons deal. fall, i'm sad. summer, i wait for summer's end. winter, i flop into our 1st snow & whoop due to happiness, spring's kinda alright. i'm counting days till i see snow. i'm sorta avoiding fall by wearing my pink wool Victoria's coat often. i'm skipping my early class (it's hrs.) our 1st snow and going to my Parent's to do snow-angels. sigh, winter.
I like spring and fall best! It all depends where you live too.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I vote NO, other than the very Obvious (it`s Lighter outside at night), there is no evidence to support the idea that it has an effect. However, for those mentioning about Mental Patients, it IS where the word LUNAtic comes form, Luna meaning Moon :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #29
Master Chef

Let's see--it takes the moon one month to revolve around the earth and once a month a revolution occurs in a woman's body and many women commit murder around that time----at least my husband hides the knives and stocks us up on Pamprin-----nnaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! No--I wouldn't say is there a correlation.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I believe it does. Let me explain why.

My father was a physician and NEVER went on a trip when there was a full moon unless he had another doctor filling in for him. It wasn't unusual for many of his pregnant patients to give birth on a full moon or the day before or day after. He was a firm believer in that phenomenon and it was borne out over many years of practice.

I also worked in a hospital and saw some evidence of more activity in the emergency room - violent-type injuries and accidents.

My area jails and prisons routinely put extra staff on duty during full moons.

It may sound like the things old wives' tales are made of, but I still feel there's some truth to it.

Katie