"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Master Chef

Fundraiser/Garage Sale

I received this email from my niece to show what her friends in nursing school are doing for her. She is in complete shock that she is doing this for her. I cannot put into words what this means to me and my family. I just wanted to share this. This lady sent this out to everyone in their class and it is being forwarded to all they know. I have already emailed her to tell her what I thought about her for doing this. It's nice to know when there are people like this out there.

I just want to let everyone know about a situation with one of our classmates, S.P. was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer, she has no insurance, and she is having major surgery on Nov. 26 and possible radiation after that. Then she will be taking the final exam with the rest of us on December 10!!

I'm having a garage sale/fundraiser for her on Thanksgiving weekend - Fri and Sat Nov. 23 & 24. Please help S.P. by:

donating items for the garage sale,
helping out at the sale,
making a monetary contribution
PRAYING for her successful surgery and cure without further treatment and a successful fundraiser!!!

100% of the funds will go to S.P. to help her pay her medical bills and/or her 4th semester tuition (she is out-of-county and has to pay approximately triple the tuition of in-county residents).

For those of you who do not know S.P. that well let me just tell you a little bit about her. She drives to school and clinicals which is approximately a 1 or a 1-1/2 hour commute each way without traffic for her!! Last semester (Spring 07) she had to get up at 3:30 a.m. to be at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. even though she had to stay up late the night before to finish care plans!! She has never complained about the drive and she always has her work completed. She has the kindest, sweetest, and caring heart of anyone I know. She has gone through this entire semester knowing about her cancer without ever complaining and without ever using her diagnosis as an excuse for getting out of taking tests, doing homework, or studying. All of this in the midst of also being a mom to her three kids and being a wife. AND DID I MENTION THAT SHE HAS PASSING GRADES TOO in spite of everything!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Executive Chef

That is awsome how nice to have people that care.I hope its a great success.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Aw Tg that's so sweet ! How thoughtful of her.
It's great knowing people like that are still
around.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
I'm very sorry for your niece's troubles. Your niece has true friends. Friendship like that is very rare and this act has rekindled my faith in people. Your niece is in my prayers, and with so much positive energy around her you can be certain that she will have a full recovery!!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Everymom

Just goes to show that there are truly wonderful people out there. Your niece must be pretty special for them to be willing to help her like that. Very heartwarming TG, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
It's great to know what wonderful hearts these people have. I wish you all much success on the sale.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

I've been sitting here all day after reading that, thinking of all the stuff I have in my attic that I can take to her. A lot of it was my moms and will be hard to let go, but, I know that my mom would have been the first to sell it to help. I'm very excited about this. I have emailed the lady doing this and she told me that people are already calling and emailing her. She said that she already has $500 in donations made by just 2 people. She didn't think it was going to turn out very big, but, it has exploded!! LOL