Funniest/Most Embarrassing Restaurant Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All this spilling of food in restaurants reminds me of my first experience with Air France. It was in the late '60s. They had two kinds of stewardesses. There were some beautiful, stern looking, very efficient stewardesses and there were some pretty, friendly boopsies.

A boopsie was collecting trays. She turned a little bit and, unintentionally, was pouring the leftovers from a can of pop, onto the bald spot of the passenger in front of me. I pointed this out to her. So, she started to wipe his head with a napkin. While she was doing that, she was pouring the rest down the neck of the passenger next to the first "victim". My sister, my mother, and I had a very hard time not laughing.

Last edited:
Many years ago, DH and I went to an appetizers-only Asian-style restaurant on Maui. Many different choices. What we understood from the waiter was that each person was to order 4 or 5 apps. In hindsite, we think he meant each table was to order same. The waiter was impressed when we ordered 4 or 5 apps APIECE. We had a failure to communicate...The food just kept coming! We ended with an enormous doggie bag!

Last edited:
Laughing!!! That's hilarious TL!

Jerry_Lewis_thing.jpg

Many years ago, DH and I went to an appetizers-only Asian-style restaurant on Maui. Many different choices. What we understood from the waiter was that each person was to order 4 or 5 apps. In hindsite, we think he meant each table was to order same. The waiter was impressed when we ordered 4 or 5 apps APIECE. We had a failure to communicate...The food just kept coming! We ended with an enormous doggie bag!

Shrek generally forgets an app is made for 2 people, he orders 2 or 3 and wonders why he can't eat his entree.

We almost never order apps because we want room for dessert.

Rarely have dessert...it has to be why we are at a restaurant to begin with.
We rarely order dessert either because we are too full. If the restaurant has spectacular desserts we will sometimes get it to go, if it is something that travels well. O'Charley's has fantastic peach pies, and we bought a whole one to bring home the last time we went.

Another time we ordered a whole key lime pie from a local restaurant (that is no longer there). When we got home I noticed that the box (they didn't bake it there, obviously) said "lime meringue pie." We would never have bought a whole pie if we had known it had been misrepresented on the menu. I like lime meringue pie, but it doesn't hold a candle to key lime pie.

I am not fond of going to a restaurant. I can never finish my plate and I never order an appy and don't touch the bread. I always end up taking home a doggie bag. Forget dessert for me. :angel:

Sadly for a foodie, one of the scourges of old age is loss of eating capacity. We now have to share one appetizer, have our entrées and skip dessert because we're too full for any more. No salad or bread and butter either.

It's rare I can manage all the courses in one meal which really frustrates me because there is so much good food and so little time. (I like the sound of that).

Andy, we need more Tapas bars in this state! Heck, in the whole country. Just think, plates full of one-bites of all kinds of yummy stuff. :chef: Ooo, kinda like the nights we have "must-goes" at our house for supper. :LOL:

Sometimes we'll just make a meal of several appetizers. There's one place that offers appetizers and "small plates" for just such a situation. That can work out well.

I never heard an appetizer was for two people. Why would the waitress ask everyone at the table if they want an appetizer if one is supposed to cover two?
That's just silly, lol. Maybe they portion the appetizers smaller where I have eaten.

I never heard an appetizer was for two people. Why would the waitress ask everyone at the table if they want an appetizer if one is supposed to cover two?
That's just silly, lol. Maybe they portion the appetizers smaller where I have eaten.

I agree!

I'm like an old dog, I don't want anyone touching my dish when I'm eating! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Sadly for a foodie, one of the scourges of old age is loss of eating capacity. We now have to share one appetizer, have our entrées and skip dessert because we're too full for any more. No salad or bread and butter either.

It's rare I can manage all the courses in one meal which really frustrates me because there is so much good food and so little time. (I like the sound of that).

It all comes from the lack of exercise that we were capable of when we were younger. We are not out there playing ball, bicycle riding or running anymore. We leave that to the younger folks. There is something to that saying "working up an appetite." :angel:

I never heard an appetizer was for two people...

...and another thing. Who decided that when one person orders a dessert and the other doesn't, that the server should bring an extra spoon or fork so she can share my dessert?!?!?!? I always make a point of handing the utensil back before (s)he leaves.

...and another thing. Who decided that when one person orders a dessert and the other doesn't, that the server should bring an extra spoon or fork so she can share my dessert?!?!?!? I always make a point of handing the utensil back before (s)he leaves.

:mad::mad: Oh do I hear you loud and clear on that one. I instantly lose all interest in my plate when you take it upon yourself to take a taste. That is when I push my plate towards you and tell you to keep it. If you would like a bite, please ask.

Gee, I am getting angry just typing about it. It really ticks me off big time. :angel:

:LOL:

Thankfully DH and I make for a cheap date. We split 1 app, 1 salad, 1 entree, and if there's room, 1 dessert. I let him keep the extra fork, and I don't stab him too much.

And Addie, I don't think it's lack of exercise, I think the metabolism slows down and the restaurant portion sizes have gotten way too big.

Last edited:
Shrek and I often share, if I have something yummy I let him have it off my fork. We do seem to spend a lot of time feeding each other portions of our meals or slipping something we know the other likes onto their plate. Should see us with the Über crispy french fries at 5 Guys...

If we get two different apps, we split them in half and share anyway.

When we go out I wiuld be happy with 1/2 appetizer & dessert only. I usually do order an entree but after a couple of bites dh finishes it. Life is just not fair, dh is 6"1" & 165#. He eats twice as much as I do & never seems to gain an ounce!

:LOL:

Thankfully DH and I make for a cheap date. We split 1 app, 1 salad, 1 entree, and if there's room, 1 dessert. I let him keep the extra fork, and I don't stab him too much.

And Addie, I don't think it's lack of exercise, I think the metabolism slows down and the restaurant portion sizes have gotten way too big.

Shrek and I often share, if I have something yummy I let him have it off my fork. We do seem to spend a lot of time feeding each other portions of our meals or slipping something we know the other likes onto their plate. Should see us with the Über crispy french fries at 5 Guys...

If we get two different apps, we split them in half and share anyway.
Which of course reminds me of the story of the elderly couple who go to a fast-food burger joint. They don't have a lot of money, so they get one burger, one order of fries, and one drink, 2 straws. The husband sits politely and waits for his wife to eat her half. Someone said to him, "That was so considerate of you to wait for your wife, but why don't you just cut the burger in half and divide the fries?" The husband responds, "Because it was her turn to use the teeth first." ;)

Back
Top Bottom