"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
All this spilling of food in restaurants reminds me of my first experience with Air France. It was in the late '60s. They had two kinds of stewardesses. There were some beautiful, stern looking, very efficient stewardesses and there were some pretty, friendly boopsies.

A boopsie was collecting trays. She turned a little bit and, unintentionally, was pouring the leftovers from a can of pop, onto the bald spot of the passenger in front of me. I pointed this out to her. So, she started to wipe his head with a napkin. While she was doing that, she was pouring the rest down the neck of the passenger next to the first "victim". My sister, my mother, and I had a very hard time not laughing.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Many years ago, DH and I went to an appetizers-only Asian-style restaurant on Maui. Many different choices. What we understood from the waiter was that each person was to order 4 or 5 apps. In hindsite, we think he meant each table was to order same. The waiter was impressed when we ordered 4 or 5 apps APIECE. We had a failure to communicate...The food just kept coming! We ended with an enormous doggie bag!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
Head Chef

Laughing!!! That's hilarious TL!

Name:   Jerry_Lewis_thing.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  37.5 KB
Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Many years ago, DH and I went to an appetizers-only Asian-style restaurant on Maui. Many different choices. What we understood from the waiter was that each person was to order 4 or 5 apps. In hindsite, we think he meant each table was to order same. The waiter was impressed when we ordered 4 or 5 apps APIECE. We had a failure to communicate...The food just kept coming! We ended with an enormous doggie bag!
Shrek generally forgets an app is made for 2 people, he orders 2 or 3 and wonders why he can't eat his entree.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek generally forgets an app is made for 2 people, he orders 2 or 3 and wonders why he can't eat his entree.
We almost never order apps because we want room for dessert.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Rarely have dessert...it has to be why we are at a restaurant to begin with.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Rarely have dessert...it has to be why we are at a restaurant to begin with.
We rarely order dessert either because we are too full. If the restaurant has spectacular desserts we will sometimes get it to go, if it is something that travels well. O'Charley's has fantastic peach pies, and we bought a whole one to bring home the last time we went.

Another time we ordered a whole key lime pie from a local restaurant (that is no longer there). When we got home I noticed that the box (they didn't bake it there, obviously) said "lime meringue pie." We would never have bought a whole pie if we had known it had been misrepresented on the menu. I like lime meringue pie, but it doesn't hold a candle to key lime pie.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not fond of going to a restaurant. I can never finish my plate and I never order an appy and don't touch the bread. I always end up taking home a doggie bag. Forget dessert for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Sadly for a foodie, one of the scourges of old age is loss of eating capacity. We now have to share one appetizer, have our entrées and skip dessert because we're too full for any more. No salad or bread and butter either.

It's rare I can manage all the courses in one meal which really frustrates me because there is so much good food and so little time. (I like the sound of that).
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
Master Chef

Andy, we need more Tapas bars in this state! Heck, in the whole country. Just think, plates full of one-bites of all kinds of yummy stuff. Ooo, kinda like the nights we have "must-goes" at our house for supper.