"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Sometimes we'll just make a meal of several appetizers. There's one place that offers appetizers and "small plates" for just such a situation. That can work out well.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I never heard an appetizer was for two people. Why would the waitress ask everyone at the table if they want an appetizer if one is supposed to cover two?
That's just silly, lol. Maybe they portion the appetizers smaller where I have eaten.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I never heard an appetizer was for two people. Why would the waitress ask everyone at the table if they want an appetizer if one is supposed to cover two?
That's just silly, lol. Maybe they portion the appetizers smaller where I have eaten.
I agree!

I'm like an old dog, I don't want anyone touching my dish when I'm eating!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sadly for a foodie, one of the scourges of old age is loss of eating capacity. We now have to share one appetizer, have our entrées and skip dessert because we're too full for any more. No salad or bread and butter either.

It's rare I can manage all the courses in one meal which really frustrates me because there is so much good food and so little time. (I like the sound of that).
It all comes from the lack of exercise that we were capable of when we were younger. We are not out there playing ball, bicycle riding or running anymore. We leave that to the younger folks. There is something to that saying "working up an appetite."
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I never heard an appetizer was for two people...
...and another thing. Who decided that when one person orders a dessert and the other doesn't, that the server should bring an extra spoon or fork so she can share my dessert?!?!?!? I always make a point of handing the utensil back before (s)he leaves.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
...and another thing. Who decided that when one person orders a dessert and the other doesn't, that the server should bring an extra spoon or fork so she can share my dessert?!?!?!? I always make a point of handing the utensil back before (s)he leaves.
Oh do I hear you loud and clear on that one. I instantly lose all interest in my plate when you take it upon yourself to take a taste. That is when I push my plate towards you and tell you to keep it. If you would like a bite, please ask.

Gee, I am getting angry just typing about it. It really ticks me off big time.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Thankfully DH and I make for a cheap date. We split 1 app, 1 salad, 1 entree, and if there's room, 1 dessert. I let him keep the extra fork, and I don't stab him too much.

And Addie, I don't think it's lack of exercise, I think the metabolism slows down and the restaurant portion sizes have gotten way too big.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek and I often share, if I have something yummy I let him have it off my fork. We do seem to spend a lot of time feeding each other portions of our meals or slipping something we know the other likes onto their plate. Should see us with the Über crispy french fries at 5 Guys...

If we get two different apps, we split them in half and share anyway.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

When we go out I wiuld be happy with 1/2 appetizer & dessert only. I usually do order an entree but after a couple of bites dh finishes it. Life is just not fair, dh is 6"1" & 165#. He eats twice as much as I do & never seems to gain an ounce!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #40
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Thankfully DH and I make for a cheap date. We split 1 app, 1 salad, 1 entree, and if there's room, 1 dessert. I let him keep the extra fork, and I don't stab him too much.

And Addie, I don't think it's lack of exercise, I think the metabolism slows down and the restaurant portion sizes have gotten way too big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek and I often share, if I have something yummy I let him have it off my fork. We do seem to spend a lot of time feeding each other portions of our meals or slipping something we know the other likes onto their plate. Should see us with the Über crispy french fries at 5 Guys...

If we get two different apps, we split them in half and share anyway.
Which of course reminds me of the story of the elderly couple who go to a fast-food burger joint. They don't have a lot of money, so they get one burger, one order of fries, and one drink, 2 straws. The husband sits politely and waits for his wife to eat her half. Someone said to him, "That was so considerate of you to wait for your wife, but why don't you just cut the burger in half and divide the fries?" The husband responds, "Because it was her turn to use the teeth first."