"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #41
Master Chef

I started, many moons ago, to order with a doggie bag in mind. Splitting an entree isn't always an option if there is a plating fee, which a lot of places do. My favorite steakhouse piles on so much food that my friends and I now order soup instead of salad, because it travels better, and if I have a taste for steak, their largest porterhouse which becomes dinner for two a couple of days later.

Appetizers are always too much -- so we invent our own tapas, everyone at the table ordering an appetizer and then we pass them around.

Cannot remember ever having enough room for desert.

Yes, my appetite is a lot less than it was (and so is my weight), but not because I exercise less. If anything, more. But, post-menopause my sense of smell went haywire and it still does when under stress, and I just eat a lot less. Since I've always been on the heavy side, I guess it is a good thing.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek and I often share, if I have something yummy I let him have it off my fork. We do seem to spend a lot of time feeding each other portions of our meals or slipping something we know the other likes onto their plate...
We do the same. I'll fork up some of my entree, Himself does the same, then we exchange forks. Some people tsk-tsk because it might be germy, but what do they think happens when we kiss???

Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
...And Addie, I don't think it's lack of exercise, I think the metabolism slows down and the restaurant portion sizes have gotten way too big.
You've got that right GG. I've taken to ordering a take-out container right along with the rest of the meal. To me it seems easier to remove it from the plate before you start to eat. I'm not a germ-a-phobe, but food will stay fresh longer if there isn't any bacteria introduced to the food. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
.... Splitting an entree isn't always an option if there is a plating fee, which a lot of places do.....
There's always an end-around to the plating fee. One vacation Himself and I were driving past a rib place with the smoker sitting right out front. You know how they have those fingers of smoke signaling seductively in cartoons? I think I saw them come from that smoker! We had dinner planned back at our lodging and didn't want to order a full meal since we really didn't want to be taking all kinds of food back home. When we saw a $5 share fee we did them a one-up. He ordered the full meal, I ordered a bowl of soup. When our meal came he had some of the soup and I...used the charger under the soup for my portion of dinner! They couldn't say nothin' since I wasn't using a separate plate AND I had ordered a food item.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We do the same. I'll fork up some of my entree, Himself does the same, then we exchange forks. Some people tsk-tsk because it might be germy, but what do they think happens when we kiss???
This is a line I've used often when hubby and I share a fork or sip each others' drinks ... hey, we've already exchanged bodily fluids!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Which of course reminds me of the story of the elderly couple who go to a fast-food burger joint. They don't have a lot of money, so they get one burger, one order of fries, and one drink, 2 straws. The husband sits politely and waits for his wife to eat her half. Someone said to him, "That was so considerate of you to wait for your wife, but why don't you just cut the burger in half and divide the fries?" The husband responds, "Because it was her turn to use the teeth first."
LOL...haven't quite reached that amount of sharing.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
This is a line I've used often when hubby and I share a fork or sip each others' drinks ... hey, we've already exchanged bodily fluids!
My point exactly, once it's on our table we are allowed to do what we like...fortunately I have stopped doing table dances. But, I have no problem sharing with Shrek or anyone. I just get a clean fork for people I don't regularly kiss and I do appreciate someone asking before they reach.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

my wife, son, and i share just about everything when we go out to dinner. we almost always order appys, or soups and salads, but only 2 of anything and we split them between the three of us.

we each order our own entrees, of course, but we always try each others. it's usually offered at some point, but we ask if you can't wait, lol.

and if there's room for dessert after all of that, we order one and ask for 3 forks or spoons.

i don't mind sharing anything with good friends in the same manner. again, everyone being polite to ask if it hasn't been offered. but it often doesn't get to that. i guess the staring and drooling is enough to trigger the offer of a taste.

i've always shared foods, sometimes even with strangers (but they get their own utensils, and no double dipping).

must be the norwegian in me.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
my wife, son, and i share just about everything when we go out to dinner. we almost always order appys, or soups and salads, but only 2 of anything and we split them between the three of us.

we each order our own entrees, of course, but we always try each others. it's usually offered at some point, but we ask if you can't wait, lol.

and if there's room for dessert after all of that, we order one and ask for 3 forks or spoons.

i don't mind sharing anything with good friends in the same manner. again, everyone being polite to ask if it hasn't been offered. but it often doesn't get to that. i guess the staring and drooling is enough to trigger the offer of a taste.

i've always shared foods, sometimes even with strangers (but they get their own utensils, and no double dipping).

must be the norwegian in me.
I'm with you on this one BT. May come from coming from a large family, everything was always served family style. I am 6 out of 9, sharing has always been deemed as a normal thing to do.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek was appalled at the manners of my family at first, sharing plates, bites, etc. And we were on our good behavior since we had a guest, no licking the plates. We have worn him down and brought him to the fun side. Before he ate with us, he had never had a meal go from the pan to his plate, everything went into a serving dish before it hit the table.