"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
We haven't turned the heat on yet. It's still getting up in the 70's during the day. Plus, Savannah has to stay as cool as possible. The cold air, along with a humidifier in her room, keeps her chances of croup down a good bit & I don't want to go through that again any time soon.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
Master Chef

Northwest Illinois chiming in here. We were so happy for cool weather to come (summer was hotter and longer than usual), but are suffering the ambivalence of knowing the prices are going to be killers for our heat. We've turned it on two mornings just to take the chill off of our zone one (we live in a very old house and have 4 zones, thank heaven). It's actually cheaper to turn the oven (electric) on for a few minutes to heat the kitchen than to try to heat that zone. Everything stays at 55 minimum to keep pipes from freezing once that becomes an issue. Our bedroom ... we simply keep it cool (55 on the thermostat, but it's usually warmer due to 'hot air rising') and are happy to sleep in a cooler room. We, too, are layering on the sweaters to use less heat. I've really never known a cool house to cause more illness for basically healthy people. Being exposed to children seems the largest single factor in which friends I have who catch all the bugs all winter, secondly is not getting their flu shots. My perception (and it is just that, I'm no expert and don't pretend to be) is that people who overheat their houses seem to catch MORE colds. Too much temperature change? That child thing just giving me a false perception? I've given up on buying pretty sweaters to go to house parties in because I need to strip down because of the heat! Another hint? My washer/dryer are in my bathroom, so I toss my clothes in the dryer while I shower. Toasty warm when I get out!

Old 10-10-2005, 04:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

We don't usually need any heat until at least the middle of November. It is still in the 80's here - 85 every day til Saturday then 83. The a/c runs a little less. I really feel for all of you who live in the very cold climates because of the rising prices of gas and oil. We have gas logs in the fireplace and use them occasionally when it gets cold enough, but our heat is electric. I noticed a larger than usual "fuel usage charge" this month on the electric bill, so I know that will go up also.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I still havent turned the heat on yet . What usually happens is that I have to eventually turn the heat on to take the chill out in the mornings. At night it's ok if it's a bit cool in the house because we have sweaters and afgans to wrap up in while watching tv. I think by November the heat will be on alot more, at least in the mornings, and then again at night until bedtime. We use a timer for our furnace, and a timer for our water heater which is electric. Never waste heat if your baking, open the oven when done to heat the kitchen By January, February, and March we get socked by oil bills up here, as I know many of you do too.