Furnace on or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
With the price of oil being so high right now, I am waiting as long as possible to turn the furnance on. This room is warm because of the heat from our computers, but as soon as I walked out of this room, it felt cold. I checked the temperature on the thermostat and it's 59 degree:LOL: I could put a sweater on, but when my nose and hands are cold, thats a sure sign it's time to turn on the furnace:mrgreen:

Ours would be off until at least November. BUT, I live with a man who hates to be cold. So, it's been on for a few days already!

Wow, November? I thought it was pretty cold in Washington around this time of year. Your house must get very cool without heat until November, but hey, thats what sweaters are for, and a fireplace! Maybe I'll make a fire in the fireplace tomorrow if this rainy weather keeps up.

I live in a warm climate (sunny so. california), and rarely turn the heat on. The A/C (central air) bill is very high, but I like my creature comforts. Rather feel good than get sick. If you don't have a fireplace, you can buy some pretty good imitations (or buy the mantel and make a faux one), and burn candles or those gel cans.

we just turned our heat on yesterday. and we'll have to shut it off for the next week seeing as it will be up in the 60's lol. gotta love cleveland weather ! (or not)

We have turned our heating on in the evenings for the past 2 weeks or so. But don't need it during the days, YET!

we put ours on yesterday. it's nice for the downstairs but i'm ready to put my a/c on in my room. smells like winter in my house right now.:)

Our furnace heats our hot water so it is always on, but I have not turned the heat on yet. We also have a wood stove so I hope to be able to use that a lot this winter instead of using oil.

Furnace on last week as we got our first frost and it was 29 degreese here. this week the furnace only runs in the am. I set the the temp at 66 but will boost that up to 68 when it gets colder.

We haven't turned the heat on yet. It's still getting up in the 70's during the day. Plus, Savannah has to stay as cool as possible. The cold air, along with a humidifier in her room, keeps her chances of croup down a good bit & I don't want to go through that again any time soon.

Northwest Illinois chiming in here. We were so happy for cool weather to come (summer was hotter and longer than usual), but are suffering the ambivalence of knowing the prices are going to be killers for our heat. We've turned it on two mornings just to take the chill off of our zone one (we live in a very old house and have 4 zones, thank heaven). It's actually cheaper to turn the oven (electric) on for a few minutes to heat the kitchen than to try to heat that zone. Everything stays at 55 minimum to keep pipes from freezing once that becomes an issue. Our bedroom ... we simply keep it cool (55 on the thermostat, but it's usually warmer due to 'hot air rising') and are happy to sleep in a cooler room. We, too, are layering on the sweaters to use less heat. I've really never known a cool house to cause more illness for basically healthy people. Being exposed to children seems the largest single factor in which friends I have who catch all the bugs all winter, secondly is not getting their flu shots. My perception (and it is just that, I'm no expert and don't pretend to be) is that people who overheat their houses seem to catch MORE colds. Too much temperature change? That child thing just giving me a false perception? I've given up on buying pretty sweaters to go to house parties in because I need to strip down because of the heat! Another hint? My washer/dryer are in my bathroom, so I toss my clothes in the dryer while I shower. Toasty warm when I get out!

We don't usually need any heat until at least the middle of November. It is still in the 80's here - 85 every day til Saturday then 83. The a/c runs a little less. I really feel for all of you who live in the very cold climates because of the rising prices of gas and oil. We have gas logs in the fireplace and use them occasionally when it gets cold enough, but our heat is electric. I noticed a larger than usual "fuel usage charge" this month on the electric bill, so I know that will go up also.

I still havent turned the heat on yet:LOL: . What usually happens is that I have to eventually turn the heat on to take the chill out in the mornings. At night it's ok if it's a bit cool in the house because we have sweaters and afgans to wrap up in while watching tv. I think by November the heat will be on alot more, at least in the mornings, and then again at night until bedtime. We use a timer for our furnace, and a timer for our water heater which is electric. Never waste heat if your baking, open the oven when done to heat the kitchen:mrgreen: By January, February, and March we get socked by oil bills up here, as I know many of you do too.

Back
Top Bottom