"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: GAK!! How do you deal with the cooking aftermath?
wash as I go and try to leave as little as possible around. 20 74.07%
just leave them... I did the cooking so someone else can do the washing up 2 7.41%
I refuse to worry about it until my belly is satisfied 4 14.81%
It's not a problem. It is part of the fun for me. 0 0%
procrastinate until there's nothing clean left in the kitchen to use 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I try to clean as I go but only if the cooking allows. I like recipes that cook in the oven so I can clean while it cooks but that isn't always the case. Dh and I used to have a deal where I'd cook and he'd clean but it's turned out to be, except on a rare occasion, that I cook and I clean. I do try to clean as fast as I can after eating since Aidan's bedroom is right next to the kitchen.

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I made fried shrimp for dinner tonight - and it makes a bit of a mess - reminded me why I don't like to have it at home. It will be quite a while before I do it again.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:50 PM   #13
Master Chef
depends which house i'm at. at the one, i do my dishes as i go and leave the kitchen neat as a pin. at the other, um....
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:15 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i think i'll be resorting to paper products from now on lol
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:51 PM   #15
Contest Winner

Licia I never Knew you liked Klingon Food ? I have been Known To Drink a Little Andorian Ale with my Gak ........... ! This is for you !
Attached Images
If you need a smile, take mine, I'll make a new one.
Maidrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:48 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Cleaning up is what DH's are for!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by marmalady
Cleaning up is what DH's are for!
...even if the DH is the cook?
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:54 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
If I'm cooking for myself alone, I clean up as I go

If I have my brother over for Sunday dinner, he cleans up

If I'm cooking for company, I can depend on at least one, usually more, people insisting on helping me
Edo, ergo sum
CrémeBrulée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 AM   #19
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Originally Posted by kadesma
I usually try to clean up as I go, but, when Cade is here he loves putting things in the dishwasher so he helps me. Dh on the other hand washes everything by hand, then I have to wait til he goes nite nite and put them into the dishwasher..His heart is in the right place, but, his eyesight is for the birds

When/If we move to a new home with a bigger kitchen, installing a dishwasher will be an option. However I never had a very positive experience with domestic dishwashers, I found it just as much of a hassle rinsing everything and scraping off the stubborn bits that wouldn't surely come off in the dishwasher so I opted for just hand washing everything. But that was until several years ago. Have they seen any improvements in recent years, and are there domestic machines that work like an industrial ones?
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #20
Master Chef
Oh, dear! Only two of us? It was in our marriage vows. He who cooks gets to sit and rest afterwards. If it is a big dinner with company, then I do my best to clean as I go along, and hubby stays in the kitchen and cleans as I go along, and we share the clean up. However, day to day dinners find me at the stove. I always thought "clean as you go along" and having to wash dishes yourself after everyone's filled their tummy and is watching TV says this, "You are willing to feed us ALL THE TIME, so we'll punish you by making you clean up as well." No wonder so many of my friends hate to cook.

I will say one exception. When it is freezing cold out, and the heating system isn't keeping up at the back of the house, hot water on cold hands feels so good!

I think my attitude comes from my family. Mom believed in it (she cooked, we washed up. I'm the only of her 4 daughters who loved cooking, and when I cook, sisters and/or mom clean up). Grandma didn't like to cook and LOVED to do dishes. If your kids are young, start a new family tradition soon (can't retrain husband or kids once they hit a certain age). Don't get so resentful about being stuck with the mess that you learn to dislike cooking!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote