"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #21
Cook

O.k everyone. Last chance. If the story continues, I'll butt out.
If someone wants to end it, O.K. Or if it continues, O.K.
If neither...I will end it tomorrow night. (01/12/08) around 10pm Pacific time
Just a reminder: if you end it, please include an "afterward" as mentioned above. Thanks to all.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #22
Head Chef

I read a book at the library entitled "Pot of Gold" which is basically the same as the theme for this post. Woman with preteen daughter wins lotto, shop till they have no room for all the stuff, book a trip, buy house, encounter a few bad guys, develop some talent, met the wrong guy, find the right guy. Realize that the pot of gold is life and not money.

I did like the part in this story about the black egg looking object. Trunk could have been more interesting if it had been a pandora's box rather than a superficial windfall.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #23
Cook

Continuing the story:
Having spoken to Lassiemae at the library, Annie was puzzled. The black egg Lassiemae showed her looked valuable. And then there was the mysterious envelope watermark which, with a strong magnifying glass, Annie was able to read. It was the combination to a locker at the local bus station.

She advised Lassiemae to hold on to the egg and proceeded to the bus station to check the locker.

Inside she found some old gym clothes, a ticket to Boston and a note from her old phone friend, Jim. The note began: "Dear Annie: I regret to inform you...
Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #24
Master Chef

that Nanny 911 will show up and demand to know how the egg was going to be taken care of and had she made any alternate plans for its care.........
Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #25
Cook

FINALE
Jim's note continued:
Just kidding, Annie. Now here's the truth.
Remember the day I called you and we were interrupted by a knock at your door? Well, I was calling to discuss your argument with Robert at the party the night before. I, and others, were disturbed by your attitude. Your position was... that life is all about what you can get out of it. Friends, family, love and compassion are for fools, you said.

Since you brushed me off on the phone, I decided to play a little game on you. The ticket, the envelope, the egg, the trunk and suit cases are all worthless.

I expected you to run all over town, thinking you had fallen into a fortune. But, you fooled me. You didn't. So, I don't think you really believe the things you told Robert. You were just trying to irritate him and you succeeded, as well as fooling me. I know, now, you believe that material things will never bring you the happiness that family and friends will.

In apology, the ticket to Boston in the locker is good and will take you to an all expenses paid vacation at a time of your choosing. Have fun!
THE END

AFTERWARD
Annie actually did marry a pig farmer and is living happily in the hills of Tennessee.
Jim (on the phone) joined a commune and took a vow of silence. He hasn't spoken for years.
Mrs Feldman (cat neighbor) won 7 million in the lottery and is running a home for stray cats in Fresno, Calif.
Mrs Jones (dead owner of suitcases) is still dead.
John (the gardener) started a little road side vegetable stand which turned out to be a gold mine. He now owns 17 garden shops nationwide.
Lissiemae (who wound up with egg) started a food forum website and is worth millions today.
Frankie & Earl (that hauled off tree limbs) turned to crime and are doing 10 to 20 in the state pen learning that crime doesn't pay.

Thanks to all that participated in this little game.
itzalgud

Old 01-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Good ending itzalgud! Good job everyone! I'm looking forward to the next one.

Barbara
Old 01-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzalgud View Post
Mrs Jones (dead owner of suitcases) is still dead.

LMAO...
Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Good story everyone! I just found the post. Good idea!!!