Game: Something Useless I Just Learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interestingly he didn't invent the light bulb, he just made a better working one 59 years after the original. I watch too much QI :mrgreen:

As pressure goes down, so does temperature. Also, as air pressure falls, the boiling point of water falls.

You can take a bowl of water, place it in a vacuum chamber, seal it, and pump out the air. As the air pressure goes down, eventually, the boiling for water at that pressure will be reached, and "room temperature" water will begin to boil. Shortly afterwards, the freezing point is reached, and water will actually begin to freeze while it's boiling.

A candle flame will extinguish itself in zero gravity after a few seconds. It can not be sustained in that environment.

Last edited:
Out where I used to go backpacking, if you boiled water on top of one of the mountains, you could put your fingers in the "boiling" water, and just get barely scalded.

GB, put a fan blowing towards that candle in 0-G, and it'll stay lit.

After several days in a 0-G environment, the human body will "grow" in heighth. This is because the joints aren't compressed by gravity. After returning to Earth, astronauts return to their normal heighth after a day or two.

If you want to bury cable for a project, you can buy two distinct types. There is always a cheaper, generic variety.

However, there is usually a better grade. It is called GR-Cable.

Want to guess what "GR" stands for?

at minus 40 degrees it's exactly the same as in Celsius and Farenheit.....(Barbs did specify useless info) but over here you really get to appreciate it........

velcro was discovered by a guy that had gone walking and snagged a cockebur on his sock........he placed it under a microscope and noticed that it was a spiral of rings and hooks......it's one of the reasons that they are so difficult to pull out.......then he spawned one of the first ideas for velcro......

My husband and I (mostly him, but me too) are known in our community to be fonts of useless information! Lately for me it has been the events that led up to WWI because I read Victoria's Daughters. So I'm now re-watching a BBC series about the era. Good Grief! When it comes to numbers: At my husband's last duty station (the Pentagon), in one year I had three or four home phone numbers, and he had a half a dozen work numbers. My brain just flat out refused to take in one more number. Now I'm lucky to remember my own phone number and have been known to spout out with a zip code from 20 years ago rather than the one where I've lived for 7 years. But I can remember stuff like that in German (which I never really learned), you pronounce the second vowel when there are two vowels together (in other words Stein is pronounced like a long i, Stien is pronounced Steeen). Now why, of all things would I remember that, and you'd be surprised at how often it does come up!

A tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion will make it instantly go berserk and sting itself to death.

I'll have to remember this one the next time we find a scorpion. We've caught one inside the house, and seen another just outside the front door.

the part of your brain that "controls" hearing never goes to sleep. it is active 24 hours a day.
that's how you are able to wake up to an alarm clock!

Most of Utah is not actually part of the Wasatch mountains, it is part of a different one, according to one study group. Don't ask me for details, my memory is not that good.

Lynd....LOL Good One!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

alot of interesting facts, Thanks Barbara for starting this thread. When one comes to mind I'll add one :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom