Game: Something Useless I Just Learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
It has long been my goal to continue to learn, so I am constantly reading, watching informative shows, and talking to interesting people. A lot of the things I learn are probably useless to most of the population, but still interesting to me. So I thought, why not tell what we have learned here. You don't have to write everything you have ever learned in your entire life in one post :-p, but share as much as you want.

Something I just learned, from a book of Scandinavian folktales, is that the word Viking means "Foreign King."

What useless bit of information have you learned? Maybe the rest of us can learn from you!

:)Barbara

An old Indian saying:

"Every animal has enough brains in it's head to tan it's own hide."

And yes, I do understand the process of brain-tanning animal hides, although I've never done it.

Yesterday I learned that Chinese moon cakes have egg yolks baked inside of them.

I'm actually known at work for my "useless info". The other day they were talking about football, the Ga Bulldogs and the Fl Gators so I busted out with... did you know the temperature of the egg of an alligator determines the sex? They all usually just look at me and shake their heads lol... Don't tell you I never prepared you for Jeopardy...

Did you ever wonder what the WD in WD-40 stands for? The name was lifted right out chemist Norm Larsen's laboratory notebook. Way back in 1953, he was trying to concoct an anti-corrosion formula, which worked on the basic principle of displacing water. On his 40th try, Larsen finally got it right. Hence the name WD-40. It literally means Water Displacer, 40th try.

We are staying in Quincy, Massachusetts and just learned that here it is pronounced "Quinzee" which, according to what I read, is how the first settlers pronounced it. Which leads me to wonder if the president's name was pronounced John Quinzee Adams and I have been mispronouncing it all this time!

:) I'm still trying to figure out what a food hamper is. I'm guessing it's a basket of goodies mainly food, sweets, cheese, pasta etc.

Yep, that's right. Although sometimes they can be a bit more themed, like a chocolate one :pig:

I know alot of "useless" information.

not that I have them memorized but I know who is calling by looking at the number at work. now you might think that its nothing but when you have 100s of phone call coming in from all over the world from 100s of differnent people its kidna impressive.

our 750+ Support groups, I know almost all of them

Actually I'm very impressed! It takes me forever to remember a phone number. I still have to look up my daughter's and my best friend's numbers (and our own cell phone)! Once a number finally does stick, I never forget it.

That Robin and Maurice Gibb from the Bee Gees were twins - watched the DVD a couple of nights ago and googled Bee Gees out of interest - for some reason we always thought Robin wasn't even a Gibb brother.

Here's something I learned today. Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark.

Back
Top Bottom