Garage Sale Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
Are you going to Garage Sales this year? What will you be looking for and how much do you expect to spend on it?

I like finding pretty sweaters at the sales. I usually pay .10 cents to a quarter for them. They are usually dry clean only so I have to pay $4 to $6 to have them cleaned.

I'd like to find some serving pieces for my flatware and maybe decorative platters and bowls.

Will you be able to pass up a fully loaded aquarium or hamster pit?

YEP!!

Books!!! That's about all I ever get at garage sales.
I can't wait.

We love garage/tag/estate sales. Always on the look-out for books, of course, since Buck and I are avid readers.

I also look for cookware, even in crappy shape because most of the time I can clean things up to nealy new condition. One of my favorite "finds" was a 14-inch round Revere Ware griddle we bought for 50 cents. It was so cruddy it looked hopeless. Now it looks like new and turns out to be a collector's item.

I search for beautiful decorative plates and bowls to use as gift items and for floral arrangements to give as gifts.

I buy serving bowls and such to use when I go to potlucks and/or to give someone when they're sick and need a meal. That way I don't worry about them not returning the container.

There are tons of things we look for when "saleing" and always come home with treasures for a handful of change. It's great fun.

Well, I don't actually go out looking for garage sales, but if I did....

Marbles! I collect older marbles, which I usually find while out using my metal detector at old homes that have been demolished.

Old Boy Scout patches, they can worth quite a bit.

Cookbooks. I love getting cookbooks.

The first thing I look for at a sale is books. Last week I got Jeff Smith's Christmas cookbook for 25 cents. Another thing I look for in the spring are perennial plants, like hosta's and Autumn Joy. This year I am looking for large straw trivets (I can't find them in the stores anymore).

Cookie tins to fill for Christmas gifts.

I don't go looking FOR anything, I just like to be yard-sale-ing around in the Fall, particularly.

I have had some good finds: original Fiestaware plates for a dime, brand new Irish linen dish towels for a quarter, rolls of cloth wrapping ribbon for 5 cents, a steel deli-slicer for $25, a metal plant stand for $5 that I've put my pots of herbs on for 10 years, a 6 foot high bookcase for all my cookbooks for $10.

Yard sales are beautiful things!

Lee

There's a flea market in southern NH we go to once or twice a year. I scour the area for cookbooks while SO looks at everything else. I've found Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen there, along with a few others.

I dont look for specific things, but just look for whatever catches my eye at the time. Typically that would be some of the things you all have mentioned, books, marbles which I have found alot of in my yard that were both large and small ones (old house), art work, cookie tins ( I have a collection), glass jars/vases that are unique in shape and color.

We love garage/yard sales. I like to get books and anything interesting that I see. We also like to buy to sell later on ebay. Around here the sales aren't really very good, but once in awhile we find something good. A few years ago James bought a bronze box at a sale here in town for about 50 cents. We sold it on ebay for around $80. I bought some wood pictures (it was pieces of wood fitted together mosaic style to make pictures of an island scene) for $7 and we sold them for $14. The best yard sales we found were on a trip to Iowa a few years ago. On our way there we found some great ones in Illinois and on the way home we found some in West Virginia.

:) Barbara

Iam the one who should have a garage sale - after almost 36 yrs. of marriage - you accmulate alot - that you don't use or need now !! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom