"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Gardening talk anyone?

Anyone interested in gardening? This novice gardening has several questions to all you gardening experts.

I love gardening and I'm determined to make a beautiful garden this year. Looks like Spring has sprung down here in South Texas and I'm in desperate need of saving some of my plants: exoras and hibiscus, to name a few. So anyone interested in some gardening chat, exchanging your expertise, tips, hints on becoming a "green thumb" gardener, etc. just come on in here.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Constance........oh Constance......!

Dina, I love gardening, and am sad that I left it when we moved a couple of months ago. I miss my giant hydrangeas and my wisteria most of all!
But, now I've got a new one that is just screaming for color!

PS - have you ever dried your hibiscus flowers for tea? It's quite tasty!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'm a gardener at heart with a not very green thumb! We have 10 inches of snow in our yard but my thoughts are on my summer garden. My growing season (outside) is really short - mid-June through August. What a challenge...

So I don't have any expertise to lend - but the word "gardening" makes me feel like Spring might arrive one of these days!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
Head Chef

Big Sigh....I love to garden - but since we've just had the wettest January in 30 years here I'll have to wait another six weeks AFTER the rain stops before I can go out and play! All I can do right now is bait the slugs.

I love to grow 4 O'Clocks and Sweet Peas and Nasturtium (which are also very tasty in salads) and I grow most of my own herbs. Rosemary is a perennial here. I have hundreds of day lillies and iris....ah spring....
Old 01-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
jkath,
Sorry to hear you had to leave your garden. I'm sure you'll get a new one started soon. Make sure you post some pics of it. If I ever get my hibiscus plants to bloom, I'll make sure to try the tea. BTW, I trimmed some huge hibiscus plants and decided to dip the trimmings in water then plant them in potting soil. My Dad swears they will root and grow. Any ideas on that?

Callie,
What part of the Rocky Mountains are you from and what do you plant during your summers? I'm not much of a green thumb gardener either but sure love it. I'm sure we can all learn from everyone here. Hope the snow dissipates soon.

Oh Linda,
Rain is something we're hoping for down here in the south. We love sweet peas, lillies and iris! My daughter planted some sweet peas seeds last February and grew so beautifully by the summer. Too bad our 110 degrees temps burned them out. Speaking of herbs, just planted some sweet basil seeds last weekend and waiting anxiously to see the seedlings.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
BTW, I trimmed some huge hibiscus plants and decided to dip the trimmings in water then plant them in potting soil. My Dad swears they will root and grow. Any ideas on that?.
Make sure to dip it in a rooting hormone before they are potted, otherwise they may not take root. Look for something like Rhizopon, I believe.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I would really enjoy growing a garden but I live in an apartment. Bringing mounds of earth to my balcony isnt recommended.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

Dina, I'm in the southwest part of Colorado - at an altitude of 8600+ feet. I've found container gardening is the most successful for me. Last year I started Early Girl tomatoes from seed. I kept the plants in big pots on my deck until the end of August then brought them inside before the freezing temps came in September. We had enough tomatoes to eat - but not enough to can. sigh. This year I want to plant some lettuce in pots and maybe some onions. I also have to deal with the deer. They are very friendly - and hungry - and eat everything! Suggestions?

I love petunias, marigolds and geraniums. They work well for me in pots on the decks. I'm going to try giant sunflowers this year, too. But I'm guessing the deer will eat them before they get a chance to grow and bloom!

Old 01-31-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Everymom

We're several months yet from thinking about gardening. But...I read there is some kind of "panther pee" that you spray on your garden to keep the deer away. Don't know how well it works though. Try some roma tomatoes next time. They bear really well and are PERFECT for canning and salsa.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
Head Chef

Thanks, Alix, I will look for roma tomato seeds. Any particular kind I should look for? I like romas. I've just never grown them.