"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
elaine l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,098
Well it doesn't have to a type of cuisine that uses it or doesn't. I just don't like it so I use other things to flavor recipes.
__________________

__________________
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
qmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Puget Sound convergence zone
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Well it doesn't have to a type of cuisine that uses it or doesn't. I just don't like it so I use other things to flavor recipes.
Whatever floats your boat (or doesn't).

I can eat it raw. One of my favorite condiments is Lebanese toum, which is basiclly garlic pureed with a little oil and lemon juice.
__________________

__________________
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
elaine l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,098
gmax, you're like my daughter. She is just beginning to cook and loves garlic. Her food tastes more like, garlic with broccoli, garlic with beef, garlic with bread.
__________________
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,641
My sister in law is Italian and she's a heavy garlic user, in fact she uses too much. I told her that once and she accused me of knowing nothing about cooking (which is true).

Elaine, may I have the pleasure of breathing on you?
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
qmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Puget Sound convergence zone
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
gmax, you're like my daughter. She is just beginning to cook and loves garlic. Her food tastes more like, garlic with broccoli, garlic with beef, garlic with bread.

She can cook for me anytime.
__________________
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
We go through 1 to 2 heads of garlic per week. It's essential in Italian, French, Mexican, Greek, Chinese, Thai, Indian, BBQ, and just about every other main dish, side dish, soup, or casserole I make. And if a recipe calls for 2 cloves, I use 3.

Love garlic, and it's good for the heart, too!

As for onions, I probably use an average or 3 or 4 per week. I can't imagine cooking without it. Why would anyone want to eat a hamburger or taco without raw onions?

You hit it right on the head. Garlic is an essential ingredient in all of those ethnic foods and many American foods. I can't get by without it or onions for that matter. It's what gives food that extra flavor. I'm willing to bet that if I served you garlic haters a dish containing garlic you wouldn't even know it.

I've told this story before: My friends hate the thought of anchovies much less eating them. They think I make awesome spaghetti sauce. I put 3 anchovies in every batch. They don't know and will NEVER know if I can help it.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
elaine l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
My sister in law is Italian and she's a heavy garlic user, in fact she uses too much. I told her that once and she accused me of knowing nothing about cooking (which is true).

Elaine, may I have the pleasure of breathing on you?


Go ahead....I am holding my nose!
__________________
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
qmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Puget Sound convergence zone
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
You hit it right on the head. Garlic is an essential ingredient in all of those ethnic foods and many American foods. I can't get by without it or onions for that matter. It's what gives food that extra flavor. I'm willing to bet that if I served you garlic haters a dish containing garlic you wouldn't even know it.

I've told this story before: My friends hate the thought of anchovies much less eating them. They think I make awesome spaghetti sauce. I put 3 anchovies in every batch. They don't know and will NEVER know if I can help it.
Pasta tossed with garlic and anchovies sauteed in a good olive oil is spectacular.
__________________
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
elaine l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,098
DramaQueen, I am sure that I have had many dishes that did contain garlic and didn't know it but when I can taste it, I don't like it.
__________________
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
rjx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Clara, California (Bay Area)
Posts: 44
In many dishes, garlic is as essential to me as salt and pepper. In those dishes I am not after a noticeable garlic flavor, or aroma. What I try to accomplish is a background flavor. Something subtle, to support and enhance the flavors of the dish.
__________________

__________________
"To be a good chef all you got to do is lots of little things well" -Marco Pierre

"As far as cuisine is concerned, one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain in the end, just a little bit." -Fernand Point
rjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.