Garlic....yuk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pasta tossed with garlic and anchovies sauteed in a good olive oil is spectacular.

I made that last night!

Olive oil + 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 3 anchovy fillets (melted, for those who don't know), red pepper flake, chopped basil, butter, freshly grated parmesan cheese. Tossed with spaghetti. YUMMY!

I like garlic in my dishes but I do tell my students that is a flavour and you can have as much or as little aas you want in your dish.

Oh my, I am so sorry there are folks out there that don't like garlic! More for us that can't live without it!

Here, here. I'm with ya, marigene. And onions and shallots and salt and pepper.

Some eat to live
Some live to eat.

One of my bucket list items is the Gilroy Garlic Festival!
(although I don't know if I'd do the garlic ice cream)

Besides cooking I keep a sack of garlic hanging near the front entrance of my business to keep the evil spirits out. It works. We've never had an evil spirit enter our business. Not once.

Garlic keeps away vampires, skeeters and has good health benefits. On the down side my old lady won't kiss me after too much garlic.

Lefty, have you not learned anything? The secret is to make your partner eat it too. Or, at least dab alittle behind each ear! Then they can't smell it! LOL!

Lefty, have you not learned anything? The secret is to make your partner eat it too. Or, at least dab alittle behind each ear! Then they can't smell it! LOL!

She eats it too, maybe its the Irish Whisky :rolleyes: I have after. I want to create a garlic cologne or perfume. ;) But that should be a new thread. :LOL:

I've mentioned this before, but it was a couple of years ago. For you newer members, pull up your chair, get something to drink, and read.

I used to be a cook at a country club up in Michigan. For several years, I was the person that had to do the action stations for the weekly Family Style dinner. Two of those action stations were a saute station, Pasta, and Stir-fry. Of course, both require some garlic.

One night, I had an older couple come in. As they were led to their table, they walked by me, and gentleman asked me if there was any way I could do my action station back in the kitchen. Apparently, he was so horribly allergic to garlic that he couldn't even tolerate the smell of it. Sadly, I was not able to fulfill his request, as the bulk of doing a station like that is the visual aspect of watching the cook actually make the dish, plus being able to pick your own toppings.

I can fully understand that some people just cannot tolerate the smell/taste of garlic. At the country club I currently work at, I am probably the only cook that takes food allergies seriously. Whenever I get a ticket back where someone has dictated "no butter" or "no diary", etc., I usually start going over that order with a fine-toothed comb. I usually have to clarify with the waiter whether or not this person is in fact allergic, because there is usually one or two other items on their plate that gets diary. I also have a few folks that are allergic to shellfish, and one young girl that has a gluten allergy.

All of that said, I am just the opposite of the OP. I absolutely LOVE garlic and onions. I just cannot cook an entree without those two.

About two months ago we realized that my MIL couldn't handle the pre-minced, packaged garlic that I had been buying. There is a preservative in that product that drove her chemistry nuts. Once I switched to fresh garlic, problem solved.

...One night, I had an older couple come in. As they were led to their table, they walked by me, and gentleman asked me if there was any way I could do my action station back in the kitchen. Apparently, he was so horribly allergic to garlic that he couldn't even tolerate the smell of it. Sadly, I was not able to fulfill his request, as the bulk of doing a station like that is the visual aspect of watching the cook actually make the dish, plus being able to pick your own toppings.

I can fully understand that some people just cannot tolerate the smell/taste of garlic.... At the country club I currently work at, I am probably the only cook that takes food allergies seriously. Whenever I get a ticket back where someone has dictated "no butter" or "no diary", etc., I usually start going over that order with a fine-toothed comb. I usually have to clarify with the waiter whether or not this person is in fact allergic, because there is usually one or two other items on their plate that gets diary. I also have a few folks that are allergic to shellfish, and one young girl that has a gluten allergy.

Thanks for beating me to the punch here Allen. I love garlic as much as the next person. But that aside, I really pay attention to people like Elaine and Fisher's Mom, as well as those with an allergy. When I was at culinary school one morning before I left for class I was watching a show on the Food Network and it mentioned that a woman had a severe allergy to onions and garlic. The host showed her how to make her own condiments because EVERYTHING on the shelf contains one or the other or both. I was very interested seeing as I was planning to specialize in special diets.

That night it was my turn to be a server and we had a special party in that night. It was noted that two people were vegetarians so our chef instructor one of the staff make some spring rolls. She of course used teriyaki and other bottled sauces, plus some onions and garlic in the rolls themselves. When the people arrived (an hour late) it turned out there were three vegetarians and two were allergic to onions and garlic. Well I ran into the kitchen, told the chef - he asked if I knew about the allergy and said I just learned about it that day. He rolled his eyes (my knowledge of this stuff constantly baffled him) and he told me to tell the student how to make the dish again.

I have since read up on it and this can be very serious and for anyone who is allergic or just doesn't like onion and/or garlic, they are everywhere.

At camp I also came across someone who was seriously allergic to mushrooms (now I can't imagine life without them, even more than garlic!). We had to make sure that NOTHING was cooked for three days with mushrooms and that anything that was in contact with mushrooms was not used.

I know I might sound off track, but all kidding aside, garlic can kill more than just vampires. I find when I am catering I always make sure I have some food that does not contain garlic and onions just in case.

Then on the weird side, we had a rodent problem in our old house and they were everywhere, in every cupboard but one. I soon realized it was because I had a huge container of granulated garlic (super potent) and it seemed to scare them away!

Okay, end of my lecture!:blush:

Back
Top Bottom