Garlic....yuk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
Am I the only one here that doesn't like garlic? I don't like the smell of it or the taste of it.

:nuke:I have heard of your kind, but have never met one of you.:boxing:OMGHI2U2BBQ:bounce:LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE:zorro:This does not compute:punk:Danger Will Robinson:w00t2:

I do like onions. I feel like everything now has so much garlic in it that it takes over the flavor of everything. I guess that is why I like to make my own meals!

I don't like onions but I cook with them now because they do add a flavor and aroma to meals that my family loves. But garlic? Just like you, Elaine, I can't taste or smell anything else when there is garlic in a food.

We go through 1 to 2 heads of garlic per week. It's essential in Italian, French, Mexican, Greek, Chinese, Thai, Indian, BBQ, and just about every other main dish, side dish, soup, or casserole I make. And if a recipe calls for 2 cloves, I use 3.

Love garlic, and it's good for the heart, too!

As for onions, I probably use an average or 3 or 4 per week. I can't imagine cooking without it. Why would anyone want to eat a hamburger or taco without raw onions?

I am Italian but I don't use it, well sometimes when cooking for others and the recipe calls for it. I don't even own a "bulb" of the wretched stuff!

Well it doesn't have to a type of cuisine that uses it or doesn't. I just don't like it so I use other things to flavor recipes.

Well it doesn't have to a type of cuisine that uses it or doesn't. I just don't like it so I use other things to flavor recipes.

Whatever floats your boat (or doesn't).:)

I can eat it raw. One of my favorite condiments is Lebanese toum, which is basiclly garlic pureed with a little oil and lemon juice.

gmax, you're like my daughter. She is just beginning to cook and loves garlic. Her food tastes more like, garlic with broccoli, garlic with beef, garlic with bread.

My sister in law is Italian and she's a heavy garlic user, in fact she uses too much. I told her that once and she accused me of knowing nothing about cooking (which is true). :-p

Elaine, may I have the pleasure of breathing on you? :LOL::LOL:

We go through 1 to 2 heads of garlic per week. It's essential in Italian, French, Mexican, Greek, Chinese, Thai, Indian, BBQ, and just about every other main dish, side dish, soup, or casserole I make. And if a recipe calls for 2 cloves, I use 3.

Love garlic, and it's good for the heart, too!

As for onions, I probably use an average or 3 or 4 per week. I can't imagine cooking without it. Why would anyone want to eat a hamburger or taco without raw onions?

You hit it right on the head. Garlic is an essential ingredient in all of those ethnic foods and many American foods. I can't get by without it or onions for that matter. It's what gives food that extra flavor. I'm willing to bet that if I served you garlic haters a dish containing garlic you wouldn't even know it.

I've told this story before: My friends hate the thought of anchovies much less eating them. They think I make awesome spaghetti sauce. I put 3 anchovies in every batch. They don't know and will NEVER know if I can help it. :LOL:

My sister in law is Italian and she's a heavy garlic user, in fact she uses too much. I told her that once and she accused me of knowing nothing about cooking (which is true). :-p

Elaine, may I have the pleasure of breathing on you? :LOL::LOL:

Go ahead....I am holding my nose!

You hit it right on the head. Garlic is an essential ingredient in all of those ethnic foods and many American foods. I can't get by without it or onions for that matter. It's what gives food that extra flavor. I'm willing to bet that if I served you garlic haters a dish containing garlic you wouldn't even know it.

I've told this story before: My friends hate the thought of anchovies much less eating them. They think I make awesome spaghetti sauce. I put 3 anchovies in every batch. They don't know and will NEVER know if I can help it. :LOL:

Pasta tossed with garlic and anchovies sauteed in a good olive oil is spectacular.

DramaQueen, I am sure that I have had many dishes that did contain garlic and didn't know it but when I can taste it, I don't like it.

In many dishes, garlic is as essential to me as salt and pepper. In those dishes I am not after a noticeable garlic flavor, or aroma. What I try to accomplish is a background flavor. Something subtle, to support and enhance the flavors of the dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom