"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to PeppA
Gas 2.79 a gallon!

AllenMI came home and told me something I couldn't believe. Gas has gone up to 2.79 a gallon! Up from 2.44 a gallon. When will this end! I have to take my kids to a WIC appointment tomorrow. I hope I have enough to make it there. I'm on E right now. We can't afford gas anymore.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Chicago broke 3 bucks recently for a gallon of premium. I feel old. As a kid I used to buy a milk jug full of gas for 25 cents to mow yards.

Bryan

Old 08-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
It may sound weird but you guys are getting a deal!!! Im sorry but I went and got gas today and paid 95.5 a litre....which is $3.82 a gallon!......I wish we could pay .70 cents a litre again!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
Contest Winner

Exclamation

Gas will go down when the war is over till then we will pay higher and higher prices !
Old 08-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I welcome higher gas prices. Perhaps some of my fellow americans will sell their gas guzzlers and buy real cars. SUV's have become a status symbol and all that's about to change.

Fuel efficient cars are out there. People just never bought them because gas was so cheap. This could also encourage car manufacturers to invest large amounts of money into producing more efficient engine designs or alternative fuel sources.

Lastly, like tancowgirl2000 said, no matter how high gas prices get, America still has the cheapest gas prices around. Like I state before, the problem is that we all drive SUV's (unlike most other countries). Ok, we don't ALL drive SUV's. Point is that we don't usually consider gas mileage when buying cars.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i never nor will i ever buy an suv. waste of money to me.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Our gas prices range from $2.48-$2.58 for regular unleaded. No SUV here, I wouldnt waste my money on those gas guzzlers. I've yet to buy oil for my furnace, I'm afraid to even know what fuel oil costs now. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have always chose the smaller cars over the big ones, no matter what the price of gas. Which was only about 30-32 cent a gallon when I started driving. I don't try to follow the pack (buying a SUV because everyone else did). I don't run the AC most of the time.

I doubt most people will get rid of their big gas burners (we're (Americans) are too arrogant and greedy). They will just keep paying for higher gas.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
i never nor will i ever buy an suv. waste of money to me.
I agree! I love the look of SUVs but... the cost to buy them, the cost of gas and the huge amount of room they take up just isn't worth it to me.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Diesel in my area was $2.69 the other day, but i was on my to Port Huron Mi to go fishing, and had about 5 gal. left in the truck so i thought i'd wait till i was there to fill up.

I paid $2.429 and my total was $86.72, which i am very thankful because my truck and wifes SUV gets great milage (20+ MPG), and this will last me quite a long time!

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote