"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Up to $3.38 in central Illinois for 87.

US gas consumption is actually down >1%, but declining inventories are propping the price up.

The solution won't be making everyone buy a Prius, that is only delaying the inevitable. Car-dependent suburban living is not sustainable no matter what you drive. Mass transit isn't even the answer to current lifestyles, since it just isn't practical in low-density exurbs.

So what's the appeal in spending hours in a car everyday just to come home to a cookie-cutter community with no access (except by car) to basic services?

Quote:
As for price , gas / fuel to make it to 2.96 per gallon at the pump you need $98.00 crude, have we seen that no.
Actually, we have (it was $112 less than 2 weeks ago). Oil has risen dramatically while refined gasoline has remained relatively cheap. Gasoline refiners have been getting killed with $100+ oil and market gasoline prices well under $2.50 until the past couple of weeks.

If you think gas is going to $4/gallon, buy some refiner stocks. Many are near their 52-week lows going into driving season.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #32
Master Chef

The gas went up in price again. It was $3.15 on Friday. Suzie, I also drive 20 miles to work and in the morning I have to make 10 mile detour to drop kids of in school and the day care. I don’t know about bears, but we’d for sure freeze if we decided to walk to work. Speaking of sacrifices. I don’t even remember when I bought any close for my self, or kids or even my wife for that matter. Thank G-d for my in-laws, for every birthday they pay for close shopping, and they have been very generous. For the last 5 years I’ve been gradually making less and less money. It’s not normal, with everything going up in price.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Diesel went up AGAIN last night - we're now paying $5.51/gallon - around 30% more than it was at the beginning of the year. Has it gone up that much where you live?(I see the last post was end March)
(Apparently we're going to really see the effects on the food prices in the next 2-4 months - as if it hasn't already gone up enough:-(
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Gas here is $4 a gallon, diesel $4.50 something I think, maybe higher.
Ouch.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

I filled up the other day and paid $4.10 for a total over $64.00! That's for a car, not an SUV or truck.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
My husband drives a semi..... he's never been so glad about his decision to sell his and drive for a big company again.
He filled up last night, it was $650!!! It was costing about $400 about the time he sold his. I can guarantee you we would have been living in it if he had kept it. Rates have not gone up at all.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #37
Master Chef

gas prices here are $4.06 a gallon.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

I do not know what I am going to do. I work an hour away and DW works about 30 minutes away. We both transport kids during out commute so we can not entertain a scooter or motorcycle option. There is no public transportation that would work for us either. We can't even carpool because of having to transport the kids, not that that is even an option anyway.

Right now we are spening about $130 in gas each week.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #39
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I don't know if anyone will find this helpful or not, but, GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada is a site from which you can pick your state and see the lowest gas prices. You can also join and report prices. It may not be enough to make a big difference, but, if those that charge a little less get more business than those that charge a lot they may see a message.

BTW if you can take the shock, they also show the highest prices, to help you know who to avoid.

AC
Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

We have been trying to fill up on Sundays. There are two stations down the road that have $.05 off per gallon each Sunday. It is not a huge savings, but it is something.