"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Gas Prices

Heard on the news in Pittsburgh PA that gas prices would be going up 75 cents in the next week.

Currently the average is about 3.31/gallon regular unleaded.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My daughter only had $10 to put in her car yesterday, and it made me sick that it didn't even buy 3 gallons. It is around $3.60 here (I'm visiting in North San Diego County), but James said it is still around $3.20 at home (South Carolina). Diesel is up to $4.15 here in California (at least it was late last week--who knows what it is up to now).

Barbara

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
we are at 2.99 here but that was yesterday.
3.09 last week.
I wont even start on how i feel about it, but i may be looking for more 2 ingredient meals that last 3 weeks pretty soon.....
Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
No kidding.. if it goes up any more I
won't be able to afford to drive to work.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
75 cents in one week? What on earth did the report refer to for justification? I'm off to fill up the car (it's $3.249 here)
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

Sounds like the oil execs need to upgrade their jets and yatchs and want some more summer homes...
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Shortly after the Katrina devastation, gas prices rocketed to 3.15 per gallon almost overnight. It made no sense, considering the excuse the management (and I use that term lightly) used was that the rigs in the gulf were damaged. Was there not a drop in reserve, or are we pulling it out of the ground and directly into our cars? If that were the case, then sure, 3.15 overnight would make sense. Were the rigs in the gulf the only places we get our gas from? All our gas is produced in the gulf? If that's the case, should we not build a big bubble like dome over the gulf, to protect those rigs? What actually happened was management floated a test balloon. Let's see what happens if we use a natural disaster to loonishly raise the price of gas per gallon. If I remember correctly, gas was in the middle $2 range at the time. It skyrocketed before the second week of September. No one said boo. No one cried foul. People just continued to fill up, paying whatever it took. Management was happy. The test balloon was a huge success and reports were produced accordingly. Sure, they lowered it again, and boy, were they not the heros of the day for doing that?

People can bandy about the words supply and demand, but a point was proven. The market could and would withstand exorbitant prices and inflation. Then, slowly, it's been creeping back towards the $3 range, and passed it, a couple of weeks ago. Tbone Pickens (or whatever his name is) assured us, just this morning, that crude oil will never drop below the three digit marker for the remainder of 2008. Gee, considering this is only the third month of 2008, he just told us we've got another 9 months of this, at least. Can anyone say $4.50 with me? Do I hear $5?

What will it take for people to wake up and protest this? What will it take for more fuel efficient vehicles to be created? What will it take to get people who drive gas guzzlers to realize the party is over? When will the air of entitlement end? Where, for the love of peace, is the hue and cry????

With all the sincerity and in all frankness I ask, how can we sleep while our beds are burning?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
i work 20 miles away from work.... i am seriously considering walking....
but i could get eaten by a bear on the way.
i think over the length of a year however, the hospital bill would be cheaper than driving.... and my car gets 30 mpg.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

I wanna know who lit my bed on fire and why? What did my bed do to them?

Seriously,
What kills me are all the Hummers and full size SUV's being driven around town... with only one person in them....what the??? And the huge 4x4's, exactly what do they think they are going to encounter in suburbia during the average day that they will need that to get thru??
I know we have a lot of pot holes out here... but that seems like overkill there....
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Guilty! We have a Tahoe, but we have a boat to pull. It started out as a fishing boat, but has turned into a summer cottage on the water. It's not a status thing for us. A vehicle is a tool, and in our case we need a heavy duty tool. The mid-size SUVs don't offer any fuel efficiencies over the full size, by the way. We travel from here to UP very often and I can't say there's an inch of extra space when we have the kids and our stuff packed up, not to mention pets. And yes, we have literally gotten stuck in the snow, unable to move, when we traveled in cars. If you haven't been to Michigan's UP, it really is the Great White North! Look at a map of Michigan ... my parents are very Eastern Central ... 26 miles from Lake Superior shoreline and 40 miles from Lake Michigan. You can imagine when two storms collide ... you NEED 4x4, trust me!

But we do try to use the car for the majority of our commuting outside of those trips, as it gets MUCH better gas mileage! I really don't our vehicle choices are about "entitlement" but if I work two jobs and choose to haul a boat all summer instead of spending a week or two in the Carribean, at least my vacation dollars stay here in the USA! (I was trying to find a bright spot in my argument).