Gas stove.. wooo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
OK, I got deliver of my gas stove on Wednesday and its finally hooked up! WOOoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't WAIIIIIIIIT to use it!!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!! omigod.............

I just don't know how to prep the cast iron cooktops :( I think I have to put vegetable oil over it and then burn it off in the oven...? Would canola work?

Enjoy your new range!

Aren't the grates porcelain coated? Your owner's manual should tell you what's necessary

I don't think so.. they are cast iron, not coated.
Nothing in the manual says anything about treating them.. but the guy at the store mentioned I should do something when I get it.. something about burning off the protective layer?

Nice! I remember having a gas stove in NJ when I was a kid. Down south, unless you put something custom in yourself, everything is electric. You just can't get the heat you need for something like stir frying in a wok with electric. Hope you enjoy it!

This is my stove... It has the long centre burner, that can turn on either the front of it or the back of it... plus a grilling insert that i can switch out the centre rack for. I just dont know how to season cast iron :(
31fk7xUHMRL._SS500_.jpg

Unless your owner's manual says differently --- I would take the grates off the stove...wash them in hot soapy water....rinse and dry, and start using them! Period.
I've owned several gas stoves with cast iron grates...Never "seasoned" any of them.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Hmm, nice :) I would love to try and cook something on them tonight, but I have to do shopping tomorrow so we have no food.

I COULD try boiling some water and seeing how long it takes... lol.. It would be like me to amuse myself like that until I get food on it.

What about my centre griddle pan? I should season that, eh?

Hmm, nice :) I would love to try and cook something on them tonight, but I have to do shopping tomorrow so we have no food.

I COULD try boiling some water and seeing how long it takes... lol.. It would be like me to amuse myself like that until I get food on it.

What about my centre griddle pan? I should season that, eh?

You clearly have a burning need to season something! Unless the manual calls for it, season a steak and cook it on your new stove.

Well the griddle is used for food.. its a longer piece that fits in between the 4 burners, replacing the grate over the long middle burner.. for grilling :) fish, chicken, steak, etc. its cast iron.

This range looks different from the ones you linked in your earlier post. What did you end up getting?

Well the griddle is used for food.. its a longer piece that fits in between the 4 burners, replacing the grate over the long middle burner.. for grilling :) fish, chicken, steak, etc. its cast iron.

Unless you plan on cooking pancakes tonight --- search the manual for information --- Tomorrow call the retailer where you bought it..get their recommendations...I and others could tell you how to season it, but at this point I'm not not comfortable with doing that.

Enjoy!

Put the oven on high for a while. There's a nasty coating or something that needs to be burned off before you cook in there.

You'll be opening the windows too.

Good luck with the new stove!

Back
Top Bottom