Gasoline Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Okay, I understand why one might want to double clutching when accelerating, but why would double clutching help when down shifting? Doesn't the double clutching allow the revs to go up?

At least it sounds easier than "bang shifting" :LOL:

I saw $4.17 yesterday at ARCO, and I believe it's either $4.23, $4.25, or $4.27 at Shell, depending on which station I go to.

Since I retired, I seldom have to fill each car more than once a month, compared to twice a week when I was working. I'm pretty sure Shell and Mobil, where I have credit cards, think I died. Last month Mobil actually sent me a bill for $0.00, with a due date of 4/21. Should I have had my bank issue them a check or make an electronic transfer for that amount?

Thanks. Okay, I understand why one might want to double clutching when accelerating, but why would double clutching help when down shifting? Doesn't the double clutching allow the revs to go up?

Yes, like my posts said, it revs the engine, then when you downshift it prevents tire chirping, or locking up the tires. The engine will brake the car quickly, but without the sudden lurching/slowing down associated with downshifting too quickly. And if done correctly, you can skip a gear. This way you can hold your speed longer before entering a corner and be in the right gear in the corner and when you leave. And never have to touch the brake.
Of course, nobody drives that way anymore unless they are getting paid for it.

Yes, like my posts said, it revs the engine, then when you downshift it prevents tire chirping, or locking up the tires. The engine will brake the car quickly, but without the sudden lurching/slowing down associated with downshifting too quickly. And if done correctly, you can skip a gear. This way you can hold your speed longer before entering a corner and be in the right gear in the corner and when you leave. And never have to touch the brake.

Okay, I think I understand. I just don't drive like that, so the engine braking from taking my foot off the gas was usually enough for me. I like to avoid using my brakes too. ;)

It's 4.19 here in Grand Rapids Michigan. The cheapest place in town is at a corner where a new Circle K opened up. There is a gas war between the Circle K and the Speedway across the street, so they each have gas for $4.07. Man, when I first started driving there were real gas wars, less than 30 cents a gallon. I'm so old!

It's 4.19 here in Grand Rapids Michigan. The cheapest place in town is at a corner where a new Circle K opened up. There is a gas war between the Circle K and the Speedway across the street, so they each have gas for $4.07. Man, when I first started driving there were real gas wars, less than 30 cents a gallon. I'm so old!
If you were really old you might remember 8 (gallons) for $1.

Well, I'm old enough to remember $0.15 - $0.20 per gallon.
Glad to hear your memory is holding up :). Guess you remember running boards, manual spark advance / retard control, manual chokes, and manual throttle control, mechanical shock absorbers, mechanical brakes, vacuum powered windshield wipers, flower vases on roof supports and ... (I forgot).

Last edited:

I can teach you the fun of double clutching when we meet up this summer <g>. Provided your car insurance covers driving in Ontario <g>.

Glad to hear your memory is holding up :). Guess you remember running boards, manual spark advance / retard control, manual chokes, and manual throttle control, mechanical shock absorbers, mechanical brakes, vacuum powered windshield wipers, flower vases on roof supports and ... (I forgot).

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! I'm not that old!

I got my license in '62 and my first car was a '58 Chevy. While it did have vacuum wipers, all that other stuff was already a part of automotive history.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! I'm not that old!

I got my license in '62 and my first car was a '58 Chevy. While it did have vacuum wipers, all that other stuff was already a part of automotive history.

I got my license in '66. I remember running boards. Our neighbours had an old black car they called "the bomb" and it had running boards. It was old in the '50s.

I remember a car we had with push button automatic transmission. It was a 1957 Plymouth Fury.

I also remember wind wings, those little triangular windows That pivoted, in front of the regular crank up and down window. I wish we still had those.

That's how I used to drive the Nova...:)

Being a Brit and in touch with my feminine side I think women are better drivers.
My proof, I have never seen a woman picking her nose at traffic lights:)
Ps I did see a lady in Athens shaving as she drove which goes to prove that women can multi task.:)

Well, I'm old enough to remember $0.15 - $0.20 per gallon.

I remember $0.19 a gallon gas....Before I got my DL I had an older buddy that had a VW Bug.....Three of us would chip in $0.50 for gas, and we would ride all over three counties...chasing women, and drinking ....was it $0.25 Country Clubs? anyway, and eating $0.10 Krystal Burgers

$1.29/liter = $4.87 a US gallon here. Did I mention I'm in the heart of oil country? :rolleyes:

The cheapest I can ever recall is $.39/liter = $1.47 gallon and that was during a gas war when I was 15.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom