Gasoline Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember $0.19 a gallon gas....Before I got my DL I had an older buddy that had a VW Bug.....Three of us would chip in $0.50 for gas, and we would ride all over three counties...chasing women, and drinking ....was it $0.25 Country Clubs? anyway, and eating $0.10 Krystal Burgers

It is funny how you can have so much fun with so little money when you are young:LOL:

I learned to drive using a Nova. Also a Mustang, and one of the early Pontiac LeMans.

Our Nova was a station wagon, 4 on the column...most fellas didn't know what hit them when they lost a race.

It belonged to my Mom...until I wrecked it, then it was mine:ermm:

I remember $0.19 a gallon gas....Before I got my DL I had an older buddy that had a VW Bug.....Three of us would chip in $0.50 for gas, and we would ride all over three counties...chasing women, and drinking ....was it $0.25 Country Clubs? anyway, and eating $0.10 Krystal Burgers

In '79, a girlfriend and I used to head off for a week with $50 in an old Datsun, we made it to New York state a couple of times, from Wyoming. That was the summer of Jimmy Buffet...the only tape we had....:ROFLMAO:

Those column shifts were fun. I learned how to drive a standard with a three on the tree pickup.

I got my license in '66. I remember running boards. Our neighbours had an old black car they called "the bomb" and it had running boards. It was old in the '50s.

I remember a car we had with push button automatic transmission. It was a 1957 Plymouth Fury.

I also remember wind wings, those little triangular windows That pivoted, in front of the regular crank up and down window. I wish we still had those.

The first car I remember was dad's '38 Nash sedan. That had running boards and opening vent windows in the front. I wasn't old enough to drive that. The first car I drove was dad's 58 Chevy. I got my license a year after he died and drove the Chevy every time mom would let me (and a couple of times she didn't know about).

Even as I type this, I'm watching a Turner Classic Movies "The Killers," 1946, which is Burt Lancaster's film debut. One scene depicts one of the killers at a service station in which Lancaster is an attendant in white cap, dress shirt and slacks, and black bow tie. The cost of the fill up - $3.83!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
ROFL!!!

Attachments

• gas.gif
    gas.gif
    40 KB · Views: 134
when i see the gas prices i am so glad i don't drive. my little ten dollar cab ride once a month pales in comparison. gas is bad enough, then there are repairs and insurance. i am almost totally green as far as transportation goes.

I filled up a couple of days ago & it actually went down to 3.78 gallon. Some places are still charging 3.89/gallon in SE South Dakota.

Even as I type this, I'm watching a Turner Classic Movies "The Killers," 1946, which is Burt Lancaster's film debut. One scene depicts one of the killers at a service station in which Lancaster is an attendant in white cap, dress shirt and slacks, and black bow tie. The cost of the fill up - $3.83!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

I'm a bit too young to remember the dress shirt and slacks but I do remember when they used to pump your gas, check your oil and wash your windshield. Man if someone did that these days I bet they could make a fortune. It would be such a novelty to everyone. Of course they would have to increase the price of gas to make up for the cost of labor. Oh, and no one would go into the c-stores... I guess it wouldn't make so much money.:wacko:

I'm a bit too young to remember the dress shirt and slacks but I do remember when they used to pump your gas, check your oil and wash your windshield. Man if someone did that these days I bet they could make a fortune. It would be such a novelty to everyone. Of course they would have to increase the price of gas to make up for the cost of labor. Oh, and no one would go into the c-stores... I guess it wouldn't make so much money.:wacko:

I prefer self-serve. I remember mechanics who would see a woman and just tell her there wasn't enough oil. How were you supposed to tell if they were lying, when you couldn't see them behind the hood. Then they would over fill the oil and I was wasting money. They also never measured the pressure in my tires as carefully as I do. grumble, mutter

There is a place not far from me that still has "full service". They aren't much more expensive - a couple of pennies per litre more.

Gas was about 34cents a gal. When I was a teen.
Today I paid $4.02 It was $87.20 to fill up my car. For some perspective that was my monthly car payment in 1979!
Gas prices around here are volatile, no pun intended! I wanted to get gas at the Arco station near the medical massage appointment I had to go to this evening, because it was $3.83 a gal. I was "running on fumes" but when I got to the station, unbelievably they were out of gas! I didn't know what I should do, it was about 4 miles back towards my home or 3 miles in
the other direction to the next gas station(both Shell) I wasn't sure that I could make it to either. A good Samaritan who's intention to buy gas for his lawnmower had also been thwarted offered to follow me to the closer station to make sure I made it. How nice was that? Unfortunately I had to pay $4.02 a gal. I checked the other station on my way home their price was $4.19 a gal. Here in the town I live in, it's even a few cents higher!

I try to sync my shopping trips to Costco, with needing gasoline. Even making a special trip (about $5.00 in gas) pays off. California always takes it in the shorts when it comes to gas prices, with the highest prices in the nation, including Hawaii.
It's down to $3.87 at Costco today. Geeze, to think that makes me happy. grrr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom