"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Geneology sites

Does anyone know of a good site to look up birth, and marriage records? I'm looking for a free site. I've tried Rootsweb, and ancestry. I can find death records easily, but cannot find birth and marriage records (for free).

Thanks for any help you all can give me

Old 06-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You haven't said the timescale of the records you are looking for - or the country. Here in the UK, records are protected for a couple of generations, unless you can prove you have the right to find info....

Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Head Chef

I used a site called geneology.com... I don't know if what you're looking for is there, but there are message forums where you can ask questions in sections based on the surnames you're interested in.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I am not aware of any birth and marriage records being online. You must procure them from the appropriate court house or vital record office, and you must pay to receive them. You can either go to these offices yourself or pay a local person to do this for you, usually through the local genealogy organization.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
You haven't said the timescale of the records you are looking for - or the country. Here in the UK, records are protected for a couple of generations, unless you can prove you have the right to find info....
I'm looking as far back as I can go, but for the time being, I am looking at late to early 1800's. Late 1800's being my grandfather, and early 1800's being my great grand father.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
I used a site called geneology.com... I don't know if what you're looking for is there, but there are message forums where you can ask questions in sections based on the surnames you're interested in.
Thanks Z, I will check that out.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I am not aware of any birth and marriage records being online. You must procure them from the appropriate court house or vital record office, and you must pay to receive them. You can either go to these offices yourself or pay a local person to do this for you, usually through the local genealogy organization.
On webroots.com it says something about finding people based on birth, death, marriage records. It says that it's best to start with birth records, then marriage, and then death. So far I have found death records to be the easiest to obtain. I was hoping to get info for free, but it doesnt seem like that is possible unless it's a death record.

Thanks for you help
Old 06-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Amber, I just PM'd ya :)

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Hey Amber, I have another idea. Try googling the place you are researching, the town, county, local genealogical society. I know that Hamilton County Ohio is in the process of putting early 1800's probate court records online, so maybe the place you need is also doing that.
Also, you mention already finding death records online. If you are referring to the Mormon, FamilySearch website, please take the information found there with a grain of salt. Even though there are millions of pieces of data found there, most of it in not documented. Two people have submitted my dad's death information and both of them contain errors, one has the incorrect date and the other has the wrong state of death. These are not true death redords, just information submitted by well intentioned folks. True death records can only be obtained at the court house at the place the death took place.

Good luck in your research......and I am about to take off for a week of genealogy research myself, so I will be offline for a while.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

just an fyi for those of us with irish ancestry.

if you can find out what county in ireland your family has come from, you should have some success tracing back your roots, often hundreds of years. contact the genealogical society for that county (usually associated with their local libraries), and they will do the research for you.

irish churches were excellent at keeping records of ancestry, but it is localized to each county.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote